Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by BMGfan
Clearly people have been booking routes over the atlantic to SYD, and AP doesn't allow booking routes without MPM...
Couldn't they be bookable if they are valid routings? Although I doubt that the variations that people have found from YYZ-SYD are all valid routings.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 3:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by shore9
Couldn't they be bookable if they are valid routings? Although I doubt that the variations that people have found from YYZ-SYD are all valid routings.
The latter is exactly right. Really now, YYZ-SYD through JNB and BOM? Ain't no published routing there.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: A Few
I wish people would stop posting these insane routings to SYD. AC/AE read these threads and I'm sure that 40,000+ plus mile round trip routings are not awards they want or intended to issue.

I would hate to see AE go back to the old rules that only allowed for routings to Asia and Australia via the Pacific. The AE mini RTW has only been possible for about 5 years...crazy stuff like this could certainly encourage them to "enhance" it away for good.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
I wish people would stop posting these insane routings to SYD. AC/AE read these threads and I'm sure that 40,000+ plus mile round trip routings are not awards they want or intended to issue.

I would hate to see AE go back to the old rules that only allowed for routings to Asia and Australia via the Pacific. The AE mini RTW has only been possible for about 5 years...crazy stuff like this could certainly encourage them to "enhance" it away for good.
Yeah... different ocean routings was one of the best things Aeroplan did to their program in many, many years - especially considering all the devaluations. Would hate to see this go to waste.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:54 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by BMGfan
Clearly people have been booking routes over the atlantic to SYD, and AP doesn't allow booking routes without MPM...
AE allows both MPM-based and Routing-based validations.

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
I wish people would stop posting these insane routings to SYD.
Indeed.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 8:45 pm

I wish people stop interpreting what is valid and what is not if the booking was made and someone is flying already. It should not be our job to police the AP against us.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Yeah... different ocean routings was one of the best things Aeroplan did to their program in many, many years - especially considering all the devaluations. Would hate to see this go to waste.
You really think they don't want those 40,000mi round trips booked? How many of those routings can you really put together without vast quantities of YQ? I don't doubt it's possible and doable. But think about it -- every time a pax adds a segment thats surchargeable AP/AC are lining their pockets. I wouldn't be surprised to see them steadily increase the number of surchargeable airlines and steadily loosen routing rules. That's how you maximize profits under the current scheme. If people want to fork over wads of money, I'm sure they're ready and willing to take it.

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I wish people stop interpreting what is valid and what is not if the booking was made and someone is flying already. It should not be our job to police the AP against us.
That much is for damn sure They're doing a good enough job on their own.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat
Mini RTW question/help

My wife and I are on sabbatical this year. We are interested in doing a mini RTW trip in April/May. We have never redeemed Aeroplan points for a mini RTW trip but understand this is the best value for redemption.

1) We need to be in Japan April 27-May 1st - our daughter is in a rugby tournament we would like to see
2) Places we have not seen on our ONEWORLD rtw trips that we'd like to see or visit: Istanbul, Walking the El camino, Russia, maybe New Zealand?
3) We would like to keep our F/J tickets to the 140K miles each

I have looked at some of the ticketed itin's on the site but I will admit that my time spent investigating has been only a few hours so far (vs 100's of hours on our previous RTW trips).

Questions:
1) What is the best way to begin checking inventory (we need 2 seats) and planning our route?
2) Does anyone have an itinerary that would work for us? We are fine with Japan and getting one of our wish list items - sometimes the unplanned stopover can be exciting too!
3) Is there a link to the most current requirements for Aeroplan's mini rtw rules? I found one that was several years old.

Thanks in advance - Kevin
Old Nov 30, 2013, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...questions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ineraries.html

a) forget about New Zealand, you will not find inventory
b) you need to book before Dec.31 to keep this at 125k in J
c) you get 3 stops, looks like you will be booking a standard Asia ticket. One of your stops will be Japan - pick two others - Istanbul and Moscow would work fine
d) watch out for steep Aeroplan fees - if you pick the wrong airlines to fly - you will face an additional $1000+ in fees per ticket - search the term scamcharges in this forum
e) you are subject to Maximum Permitted Number, which is quite restrictive for TPACs but more liberal for TATL to Asia routings
f) Best way to check inventory is on United.com, looking for blue "saver" awards (missing LO/SN), and on the flisea.com tool (a nicer layout of the Aeroplan engine - which will also tell you which flights are subject to scamcharges). There is also the ANA tool, but its only good for point to point searches.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...questions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ineraries.html

a) forget about New Zealand, you will not find inventory
b) you need to book before Dec.31 to keep this at 125k in J
c) you get 3 stops, looks like you will be booking a standard Asia ticket. One of your stops will be Japan - pick two others - Istanbul and Moscow would work fine
d) watch out for steep Aeroplan fees - if you pick the wrong airlines to fly - you will face an additional $1000+ in fees per ticket - search the term scamcharges in this forum
e) you are subject to Maximum Permitted Number, which is quite restrictive for TPACs but more liberal for TATL to Asia routings
f) Best way to check inventory is on United.com, looking for blue "saver" awards (missing LO/SN), and on the flisea.com tool (a nicer layout of the Aeroplan engine - which will also tell you which flights are subject to scamcharges). There is also the ANA tool, but its only good for point to point searches.
I disagree about New Zealand, rankourabu -- especially if he's already at NRT. Air New Zealand makes a lot of space available on NRT-AKL (NZ90) with 1 seat in J. 4/1-4/6 has I1 each day. PVG-AKL has I2+ almost every day in April and May, you just have to route NRT-PVG-AKL on NH or CA connecting to NZ.

Good availability for 2 people via BKK on TG and via SIN on UA/NH connecting to SQ.

I'm with you on all your other suggestions, though!
Old Nov 30, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arcticbull
I disagree about New Zealand, rankourabu -- especially if he's already at NRT. Air New Zealand makes a lot of space available on NRT-AKL (NZ90) with 1 seat in J. 4/1-4/6 has I1 each day. PVG-AKL has I2+ almost every day in April and May, you just have to route NRT-PVG-AKL on NH or CA connecting to NZ.

Good availability for 2 people via BKK on TG and via SIN on UA/NH connecting to SQ.

I'm with you on all your other suggestions, though!
sure, you can go to New Zealand using that published routing via NRT... but putting it as part of a RTW that would include Istanbul or Russia - is not possible.

I doubt YYZ-NRT-PVG/SIN/BKK-AKL would be allowed either. Its over MPM, and not a published routing. YYZ-NRT-AKL, or YYZ-PVG-AKL, sure.

and there is always that juicy $960 scamcharge to AKL if one flies AC TPAC - which is the only option
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:26 pm

sure, you can go to New Zealand using that published routing via NRT... but putting it as part of a RTW that would include Istanbul or Russia - is not possible.

I doubt YYZ-NRT-PVG/SIN/BKK-AKL would be allowed either. Its over MPM, and not a published routing. YYZ-NRT-AKL, or YYZ-PVG-AKL, sure.

and there is always that juicy $960 scamcharge to AKL if one flies AC TPAC - which is the only option
Ah gotcha, I forgot that YYZ-NRT-AKL is a published routing. I dunno, with reference to the above it looks like this would work!

YYZ-IST //stopover\\ (TK)
IST-NRT //stopover\\ (TK)
NRT-PVG-AKL-SYD //pot\\ (NH/NZ/NZ)
SYD-PEK-LAX-YYZ (TG/CA/AC)

Then if you really wanted you could visit both SYD and AKL via a separate ticket between the two.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arcticbull
Ah gotcha, I forgot that YYZ-NRT-AKL is a published routing. I dunno, with reference to the above it looks like this would work!

YYZ-IST //stopover\\ (TK)
IST-NRT //stopover\\ (TK)
NRT-PVG-AKL-SYD //pot\\ (NH/NZ/NZ)
SYD-PEK-LAX-YYZ (TG/CA/AC)

Then if you really wanted you could visit both SYD and AKL via a separate ticket between the two.
hmmm... I wonder if that YYZ-SYD MPM would actually allow a stop in AKL
The return is certainly not allowed, no? (TPAC)
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:47 pm

hmmm... I wonder if that YYZ-SYD MPM would actually allow a stop in AKL
The return is certainly not allowed, no? (TPAC)
YYZ-IST-NRT(stop)-SIN-AKL(stop)-SYD(POT) is definitely doable. SYD is the POT since it's the farthest away from YYZ.

In April, the problem might be finding AKL-SYD. Even in Y, I can't find a single seat after the first week of April.

The return from SYD TPAC is more difficult - only published routings through Asia will make it under MPM. I'd take the CA routing any day, considering that the alternative SYD-ICN-ORD-YYZ are all on slopey OZ J seats.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:37 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
This isn't RTW per se, but it pertains to aeroplan reward and stopovers/open jaws nonetheless.

Can I do something like this for 15k points:

YYZ-EWR (open jaw) YUL-YYZ?

I know there's a rule against domestic itineraries with transborder stopovers, but technically this is a yyz-ewr trip. Thoughts on the legality of this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.