Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Any information on July/August travel to Ireland?

Old May 2, 2020, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

Im wondering if we’ll be allow to travel to Ireland in July/August? My wife is Irish, and our newborn is Irish/American, born in NYC. I am American, and I’m worried because we’re moving to Ireland either in July or August. Will there be any restrictions on traveling by then? I keep finding articles or youtube videos, which have me paranoid and freaked out on how traveling will change during the next few months. They keep mentioning digital thermometers and checking your blood in the airport in order to travel. I’m worried because I would not want them to cancel our flights, or stop us from flying when at the airport for whatever reason. Does anyone have any information ?
My wife got a remote job in Ireland and right now we’re packing to ship everything to Ireland. I also lost my job here due to the covid and don’t see how we’ll manage to survive here. We are excited to move to Ireland because of the space and freedom we will have when it comes to living in a house.
Old May 2, 2020, 7:36 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by cesar4nier
Hello,

Im wondering if we’ll be allow to travel to Ireland in July/August? .

The Irish govt just published their roadmap to re-opening the country https://www.gov.ie/en/news/58bc8b-ta...usiness-and-u/
The plan is to be substantially open by August, though of course things could go awry between now and then.
cesar4nier likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Likely to have to self isolate for two weeks on arrival. Don't see an issue coming here as your wife and child are Irish and you will certainly be admitted as well. But it could be by then you'll have to notify where you will be staying and it's not beyond the bounds that there may be occasional checks to see that people are self isolating. Being that you're coming from NY it could well be a certainty if they are doing that.
cesar4nier and Owenc like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 4:34 am

Hello,

Im wondering if we’ll be allow to travel to Ireland in July/August? My wife is Irish, and our newborn is Irish/American, born in NYC. I am American, and I’m worried because we’re moving to Ireland either in July or August. Will there be any restrictions on traveling by then? I keep finding articles or youtube videos, which have me paranoid and freaked out on how traveling will change during the next few months. They keep mentioning digital thermometers and checking your blood in the airport in order to travel. I’m worried because I would not want them to cancel our flights, or stop us from flying when at the airport for whatever reason. Does anyone have any information ?
My wife got a remote job in Ireland and right now we’re packing to ship everything to Ireland. I also lost my job here due to the covid and don’t see how we’ll manage to survive here. We are excited to move to Ireland because of the space and freedom we will have when it comes to living in a house.
Being a relocation and having Irish roots via your Wife etc you should not have any issues. A few weeks before you can contact the Irish Embassy there who will give you any further details and precautions you need to take. Life here currently in Ireland is a lot easier compared to what other countries have had to endure. Its been a lockdown “light” so by then you will most likely have to take certain precautions but you will still have a lot of freedoms for shopping and leisure etc.. within the social distancing rules.
cesar4nier likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:30 am

Flights to/from the US are still operating. You will be asked to isolate for two weeks when you land but there is no indication at the moment that flights from the US will be stopped.
cesar4nier likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
This page is useful for up to date advice on entering Ireland https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e8...travel-advice/ The helpline listed there is also useful. I called them last week to ask a few questions. I have a UK passport, but live full time in Ireland. I am technically allowed to enter the UK from Ireland without quarantine, so I asked what would happen if I were to fly to London and back in early August. They said the policy may change, but currently that upon my return I would have to self isolate at home for 14 days and that police may be assigned to check in on me.
cesar4nier likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by reddishvelvet
This page is useful for up to date advice on entering Ireland https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e8...travel-advice/ The helpline listed there is also useful. I called them last week to ask a few questions. I have a UK passport, but live full time in Ireland. I am technically allowed to enter the UK from Ireland without quarantine, so I asked what would happen if I were to fly to London and back in early August. They said the policy may change, but currently that upon my return I would have to self isolate at home for 14 days and that police may be assigned to check in on me.

Can't see it still being a requirement in August if things keep improving.May be limited to specific areas you're travelling from.
cesar4nier likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by reddishvelvet
Which is really all a bit ironic as you can fly LHR-BHD then get the bus or train down South with no checks at all !
alserire and cesar4nier like this.
Old May 18, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
You can fly DUB - LHR and return via BHD, get the train and no checks. Given the situation it wouldn't surprise me if NI follows with a 14 day period of anyone coming on the Island

Today while they can ask for details there is no law requiring compliance, that is likely to change

Simplest thing, stay at home
Old May 21, 2020, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ROKNA
You can fly DUB - LHR and return via BHD, get the train and no checks. Given the situation it wouldn't surprise me if NI follows with a 14 day period of anyone coming on the Island

Today while they can ask for details there is no law requiring compliance, that is likely to change

Simplest thing, stay at home
We’re actually bringing disinfecting wipes and gloves. We’re renting a car and making sure we clean it when returning it. We’re also quarantining for 14+ days, because we have a little 3months old. Our apartment lease in NYC is up July and my wife would rather we move back to her home in Cork. If we were to resign our lease again it would be another year, until Oct2021. They would also charge us a penalty fee for trying to terminate lease earlier than. I just want to make sure we’re good before we send a container and buy our flights. Hopefully, praying this thing goes in the right direction and dies down for the summer. You guys are very good with the information given. Trust me, if we could afford to stay another year, but jobs are going to be hard to find after this here and rent is insane in NYC added up with the cost of essential needs.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Gold (1mm) , Hilton Diamond, Aer Lingus Newbie
Going a bit OT

cesar4nier - It's hard to say what the situation will be in July/August. You seem to be prepared for 14 days in self isolation and that's all that's required at the moment.

There's an FB group called 'Irish Expats Returning To Ireland'.
It's a bit slanted towards people returning from Australia at the moment but you can search through it for tips for people returning from the US.

Best of luck with the move home.
cesar4nier likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Which is really all a bit ironic as you can fly LHR-BHD then get the bus or train down South with no checks at all !
The advice - and it is still only advice - is that everyone who arrives in Ireland from overseas self isolates. Taking a circuitous route via BHD doesn't change the fact that you have arrived into Ireland from overseas, nor does it mean that the advice is not applicable to such passengers.

Travelling via NI in this manner merely means that you avoid having to fill out the now mandatory Passenger Locator Form. It doesn't mean you are not required to self-isolate.

I am not aware of a widespread movement of people travelling in such a route specifically to consider themselves as not having to self-isolate. Do you think this is currently a problem?
Attached Images  
cesar4nier likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
We’re actually bringing disinfecting wipes and gloves. We’re renting a car and making sure we clean it when returning it.
For your own sake - you should also take great care to clean the internal surfaces when you first take possession of your rental car.
cesar4nier likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.