Voucher Option

Old Jun 3, 20, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by RoostMcBoost View Post
My situation is somewhat different, and highlights what I think is an effort by the airline to avoid at all costs a cash refund. I was booked on a flight with others (not a group booking), purchased direct from EL and confirmed for all flyers. We then got a mail sometime later saying the flight, and subsequent return, were both fully booked. Unlikely, but we were offered alternatives to completely different locations, from different starting points. Our bookings were all automatically updated, suggesting we have accepted this offer (we haven't). So whilst the flight will not run (the route is not operating at the mo - checked with the airport and skyscanner) they won't formally cancel it meaning therefore we have no right to a refund. And equally because the system automatically updated our bookings to the suggested alternative presumably if they do cancel then we can't claim anyway because 'officially' we're not on that flight any longer. This to me is VERY deliberate. Is anyone else in this boat? Our flights were from the UK (Birmingham) to Shannon.
Any updates?
Old Jun 4, 20, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
Just discovered EI has now applying the 9 euro per person per flight handling fee even on vouchers

Vouchers were normally free from the handling fees (certainly were in Feb)
Old Jun 7, 20, 6:19 am

Smile How to apply for Refund of monies

EI: Update for another booking of mine which was due out of Dublin arriving Nice 1st July and returning a week later.

Aer Lingus cancelled this flight on 5th June stating all flights dub-nce from 14th June to 4th July were cancelled, and once again suggested that I am eligible for a change or voucher.

I just want my monies back. Tried doing this from the app on my iPhone, but it redirects you out of app to browser, wherein you cannot re login (invalid login) to my account. So on PC went into browser, logged in, went to support page, then to "cancellations and Refunds", then "flight disruption page" and only within the last question in FAQ's when this is expanded, do you see the refund form (very well hidden).

This time after filling form I got an automated reply with an Aer Lingus Case number...which allows for tracing. I got no case number with my end of April Voucher request. Still awaiting a refund(charge-back) by AIB on earlier booking, but hopefully soon.

I made the comment when requesting my refund that their breach of trust relating to an earlier voucher request, meant that the will not hold onto my monies for multiple trips, and they will be bottom of my list for future bookings. IAG treated their BA customers far better than their Aer Lingus customers. Well they will pay a price in loyalty terms, and future bookings
Old Jun 7, 20, 7:39 am

The more I read on this thread, the more I regret booking my September flight from IAD to LHR via DUB on Aer Lingus. I do have the option to change but the fares for next year are so sky high at the moment, it might be cheaper to (1) cancel and recover the taxes and (2) re-book (on another airline) next year when the fares have (hopefully) declined.

With that thought in mind, I had emailed Are Lingus 10 days ago:

Me: I have reservations which include $600 of taxes. How much will I get back after fees, penalties, etc if I cancel?
Aer Lingus: You have $600 of taxes on your flights

On the bright side, I do appear to be a candidate for "The Dublin Dodge" .
Old Jun 8, 20, 7:13 pm

Programs: AerClub, BAEC.
Originally Posted by ROKNA View Post
Just discovered EI has now applying the 9 euro per person per flight handling fee even on vouchers

Vouchers were normally free from the handling fees (certainly were in Feb)
Really? The only time the handling fees would have been charged - up to recently at least - was if the voucher didn't cover the total cost. So if you had a balance of even a cent to pay, the full handling fees were charged. Did the voucher cover total cost for you, or was there a card payment involved as well?
Old Jun 9, 20, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
Flight was 35.99
Less 9

Voucher was 28.06 remaining

Curiously I try a different route and it doesn't show the handling fee. The fare has since gone up on the route I wanted so can't leverage the voucher to bypass the charge

Glitch in the matrix...
DiegoTristan likes this.
Old Jun 16, 20, 5:09 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus
I wouldn’t mind getting another few data points here...are people still experiencing very long delays with the vouchers? I applied for mine on May 7 and not a word from EI yet. Probably shouldn’t get too wound up?

Thanks in advance...
Old Jun 16, 20, 7:23 pm

Programs: ,united 1k, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by ferg01 View Post
I wouldn’t mind getting another few data points here...are people still experiencing very long delays with the vouchers? I applied for mine on May 7 and not a word from EI yet. Probably shouldn’t get too wound up?

Thanks in advance...
i applied for mine in March and still haven’t gotten mine!
Old Jun 17, 20, 3:59 am

Programs: Gold Circle
Originally Posted by ferg01 View Post

Thanks in advance...
Applied 27 March, got voucher 11 June. Flight was for 1 June if that makes any difference
Old Jun 17, 20, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Its first come first served so its a function of when you applied
Old Jun 17, 20, 6:00 am

Programs: Aer Lingus
Thanks all. I'll update FYI when I hear back.
Old Jun 17, 20, 7:45 am

Programs: Gold Circle
Its first come first served so its a function of when you applied
From reviewing dates others applied and received vouchers I don't think it is, that would be the obvious way though. There is something seemingly very random - perhaps it is after date of flight scheduled?

Its not on status either as I currently have Concierge.
Old Jun 17, 20, 9:08 am
Original Poster

If you try to follow up or in any way update the issue it goes to the back of the queue.
Old Jun 17, 20, 2:11 pm

Programs: AerClub - Silver
If you try to follow up or in any way update the issue it goes to the back of the queue.
Applied for two. Seven days apart. Got one over a month ago. No sign of the other. Haven't enquired. Actual flight dates were May 1st/3rd
Old Jun 29, 20, 7:05 am

Post-June 30 Policy

Not unexpectedly, Aer Lingus did not extend the 10% bonus for opting for a voucher past the initial 6/30 deadline.

Cancellation
If your flight has been cancelled we will contact you directly. If you have booked via Aer Lingus you can:
  • Apply for a voucher We'll send you a voucher for the full value of your flight - fare, taxes & charges, and ancillary purchases.
  • Change either the date or destination of your journey online and we will waive the change fees that would normally be associated with doing so. Please note that if you change your travel plans to flights that are more expensive than your original booking, the difference in price will still be charged.
  • Contact our call centre to discuss alternative flights
  • Apply for a full refund
Changes:
If you have booked via Aer Lingus and are scheduled to fly with us before 30 September 2020 you can:
  • Change your flight without a fee. We've waived our change fees, but please note that a fare difference may apply. Changes must be made by 01 August 2020.
Observations:
  1. It is interesting that you are forced to change your flight by August 1st for flights through September 30. My flights are IAD->DUB->LHR on 9/12, returning 10/1. This flight is currently grounded thru 8/15 and, based on the recent case spike in the US, I fully expect that my flights will eventually be cancelled. The policy forces me to "roll the dice". If I wait until after 8/1 for them to cancel, I run the risk of losing my ability to change "for free".
  2. I denoted "for free" above as this is somewhat deceiving. My September booking cost me $641/RT. I looked up the cost for travelling next April...it was $620/RT. So, I went through the process of changing my flights (without actually changing), expecting that it would cost me ZERO to change (as Aer Lingus clearly stated that there would be no refund for a cheaper flight). To my surprise, there was an additional $7/RT charge for making the change. Granted, it is only $7 but it still smells. Probably the handling fee that was mentioned above.
As I am 90% confident that my flights will be cancelled, I will "roll the dice" and pray for a cancellation so I can get a full refund and swear an oath to never, ever book anything on this airline again.
MM00LL2 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: