FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voucher Option
Thread: Voucher Option
View Single Post
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:05 am
ReachELS

Post-June 30 Policy

Not unexpectedly, Aer Lingus did not extend the 10% bonus for opting for a voucher past the initial 6/30 deadline.

Cancellation
If your flight has been cancelled we will contact you directly. If you have booked via Aer Lingus you can:
  • Apply for a voucher We'll send you a voucher for the full value of your flight - fare, taxes & charges, and ancillary purchases.
  • Change either the date or destination of your journey online and we will waive the change fees that would normally be associated with doing so. Please note that if you change your travel plans to flights that are more expensive than your original booking, the difference in price will still be charged.
  • Contact our call centre to discuss alternative flights
  • Apply for a full refund
Changes:
If you have booked via Aer Lingus and are scheduled to fly with us before 30 September 2020 you can:
  • Change your flight without a fee. We've waived our change fees, but please note that a fare difference may apply. Changes must be made by 01 August 2020.
Observations:
  1. It is interesting that you are forced to change your flight by August 1st for flights through September 30. My flights are IAD->DUB->LHR on 9/12, returning 10/1. This flight is currently grounded thru 8/15 and, based on the recent case spike in the US, I fully expect that my flights will eventually be cancelled. The policy forces me to "roll the dice". If I wait until after 8/1 for them to cancel, I run the risk of losing my ability to change "for free".
  2. I denoted "for free" above as this is somewhat deceiving. My September booking cost me $641/RT. I looked up the cost for travelling next April...it was $620/RT. So, I went through the process of changing my flights (without actually changing), expecting that it would cost me ZERO to change (as Aer Lingus clearly stated that there would be no refund for a cheaper flight). To my surprise, there was an additional $7/RT charge for making the change. Granted, it is only $7 but it still smells. Probably the handling fee that was mentioned above.
As I am 90% confident that my flights will be cancelled, I will "roll the dice" and pray for a cancellation so I can get a full refund and swear an oath to never, ever book anything on this airline again.