Voucher Option

Old Apr 8, 20, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This. Even in good times when cash is not at critical levels, carriers (and other service providers) much prefer vouchers/coupons/credits and the like because the breakage rate is high. In the air carrier industry it is estimated to be somewhere in the 35-40% range. Meaning that a good chunk of those vouchers will never be used by anyone.
Old Apr 14, 20, 6:58 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Aerclub Concierge, UA*S, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Kgmm77 View Post
Just to update my own post, for those who have flights cancelled that were booked using the BoI AerClub MasterCard “free flight” voucher, the voucher will be reinstated in your account after you receive your refund/travel voucher for the fees and charges paid. No idea whether the expiration will be extended (and being honest given the most value I could seem to extract from the reward flights was c€150, I’m not really bothered).
I had assigned my "free" ticket in someone else's name and the refund form doesn't appear to handle this :-( I don't care about the flight credit only the €100 in taxes and fees...
Old Apr 14, 20, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by D6chap View Post
I had assigned my "free" ticket in someone else's name and the refund form doesn't appear to handle this :-( I don't care about the flight credit only the €100 in taxes and fees...
You need to contact the Aer Credit Card team by email separately re the voucher (using the same email address they use to make the original booking). Their advice was to wait until your refund/credit voucher has been processed before you request the voucher back. I’ve no idea what the expiry date will be on the reapplied “free” ticket voucher as I’m still waiting for my credit voucher for the fees and charges.
Old Apr 15, 20, 2:39 am

29 days so far for me, and no voucher yet. BA took < 24 hours.
Old Apr 15, 20, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by drscoop View Post
29 days so far for me, and no voucher yet. BA took < 24 hours.
People have been told 3 months according to some reports.
Old Apr 15, 20, 7:29 am

Programs: AerClub - Silver
Originally Posted by DELLAS View Post
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined

People have been told 3 months according to some reports.

That is quite ridiculous. Are they processing them manually or something?

Hotels.com refunded me a non refundable booking inside three weeks.
Old Apr 16, 20, 4:34 am

So bizarre, I resubmitted the online form 2 days ago and this time got a confirmation email... so I don't even know if the webform worked the first time despite the "success" message. Have here anecdotally of people getting them very quickly. It would want to be a bit more efficient, and even give you a reference number to reassure you there is a "case".
Old Apr 16, 20, 6:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Concordino20 View Post
So bizarre, I resubmitted the online form 2 days ago and this time got a confirmation email... so I don't even know if the webform worked the first time despite the "success" message. Have here anecdotally of people getting them very quickly. It would want to be a bit more efficient, and even give you a reference number to reassure you there is a "case".
It is all a game to delay making refunds and depleting cash.

The refund for an unflown ticket is the value of the ticket. EI systems are capable of issuing tickets without human intervention and there is no reason that those same systems cannot issue refunds without human intervention in the vast majority of cases.

Put simply, there is nothing "backed up" other than EI's own decision to say that it processes these manually.

Also a perfectly good reason not to allow oneself to be toyed with. If a refund is due under EC 261/2004, EI has 7 days to initiate it If that has not happened, simply initiate a chargeback with one's credit card issuer (bank). Supply copies of the e-ticket receipt, cancellation notice, request for refund, and anything from the carrier acknowledging it. Note in your claim that you are due a refund under EC 261/2004 within 7 days. Keep everything in writing or online with screen shots.
alserire likes this.
Old Apr 17, 20, 5:31 am

There are two separate issues at play here. You are correct about refunds being an automatic process and I agree that Aer Lingus (and BA and lots of other airlines) are doing all they can to slow the process and sit on the cash. A card reversal is an option to accelerate that process if a cash refund is what you want.

But the creation of a credit note/voucher (which is what Dellas post referred to) is neither an automated nor a standard process, at least not in these volumes, and it is understandable that that is taking time (although 3 months seems ridiculous). That said, for some people waiting to get the 10% voucher uplift may still be the right option.
Old Apr 20, 20, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Looks like the date by which flights can be changed for free is still May 31st. Does EI really think it will be back to flying a full schedule on June 1st, that everything will be back to "normal" by then??
Old Apr 20, 20, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kgmm77 View Post
There are two separate issues at play here. You are correct about refunds being an automatic process and I agree that Aer Lingus (and BA and lots of other airlines) are doing all they can to slow the process and sit on the cash. A card reversal is an option to accelerate that process if a cash refund is what you want.

But the creation of a credit note/voucher (which is what Dellas post referred to) is neither an automated nor a standard process, at least not in these volumes, and it is understandable that that is taking time (although 3 months seems ridiculous). That said, for some people waiting to get the 10% voucher uplift may still be the right option.
It may not be automated at EI, but it most certainly is automated at AA.

There is even less of a reason for human intervention to create a credit voucher than to effect a cash refund as the former is simply an in-house accounting transaction.
Old Apr 22, 20, 8:50 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
I applied for 4 vouchers on 20 March. Nothing received as of yet. I emailed Concierge today looking for an update. I will keep you posted.
alserire likes this.
Old May 1, 20, 2:53 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; BA Exec Club Silver
Quick voucher question. In my wisdom I had a flight booked from ZRH to DUB one way. I'm not Swiss, do not to Switzerland It all and so far it looks like my Zurich flight won't be cancelled (it's a flight in around 4 weeks).

I don't mind taking a voucher as I can fly Aer Lingus home from my regular base in BRU. My concern is currency. Can I use the voucher, issued in CHF, to pay for a flight which will be quoted in Euros, or is there a way to pay for it in CHF?

Thanks
Old May 1, 20, 3:12 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Originally Posted by trustno1 View Post
I applied for 4 vouchers on 20 March. Nothing received as of yet. I emailed Concierge today looking for an update. I will keep you posted.
Concierge told me that they weren’t involved and I would receive my refunds in due course. 3 of the 4 arrived this week and I’ve just applied for another voucher for a flight in June.

As a weekly commuter to Frankfurt I have no further tickets outstanding in the coming months. I noticed yesterday that flight prices for my planned Christmas commute fell from €142 to €99 so I went ahead and booked it. That coupled with my August trip to FAO are my only 2 EI return flights booked at the moment. I expect less than a 5% chance that I will be on that plane to FAO in August and I reckon there’s a 50% chance I will be getting the Christmas flight.

I have also 4 Conc upgrades to book before the end of May. At this point in time I don’t know if I’ll do anything with these. I had planned to take my 16 year old son to BOS in the Autumn.
Old May 1, 20, 7:00 am

Voucher question...How do I know if I’m eligible for a voucher? We are scheduled 6/9 BOS - SNN. Would gladly take a voucher as I don’t think the family is interested in traveling right now. I got an e-mail staying no change fees through July 31, but we wouldn’t be able to make the trip until next summer, so can’t rebook flights yet for next summer. Any advice? Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: