Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

12 month status extension for Gold card holders rolling out - Silver awaiting info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12 month status extension for Gold card holders rolling out - Silver awaiting info

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:27 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It's probably pertinent to point out that for those trying to arrange A3/OA flights that currently Greece has a mandatory T-72h negative Covid test requirement, and potentially also a 7 day enforced quarantine if entering from certain countries - of which the UK is one.

Quite when these requirements will be lifted is anyone's guess, particularly with the country's infection rate now rising again after dropping to the lowest level in Europe amongst the reputable countries.

If those are still in place come May then it's a massive barrier to travel - certainly beyond any sort of inconvenience I'd be prepared to go to, and I suspect most others as well.
Resolution and powergean like this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
NWIFlyer, I would be interested to know which countries in Europe you believe to be disreputable - i.e. the ones not included 'amongst the reputable countries'?
Old Feb 24, 2021, 5:34 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by johnirvine
NWIFlyer, I would be interested to know which countries in Europe you believe to be disreputable - i.e. the ones not included 'amongst the reputable countries'?
It’s somewhat off-topic, but by brief way of explanation essentially it’s those where either the quantity of people tested is extremely low, or the criteria for positive tests is somewhat suspect.

Generally speaking, if you’re testing about the right number of people to understand the true infection numbers you should see about 6% positivity rate. Higher than that and you’re not testing enough (i.e. you don’t find all the positive cases). Lower and your testing programme is probably a bit wasteful, or you’re fiddling the figures - although there are exceptions where targeted testing takes place, such as in the UK when the South African variant is discovered in a given area.

Poland would be an example of the numbers tested being too low, thereby understating the true infection level. Turkey would be an example of results not being accurately reported - even those who returned a positive test there did not count in the numbers unless they also showed specific symptoms.

Looking at Greece specifically, its testing numbers were historically a bit lower than the European average, but still sufficient to give a reasonable indication of the true infection level.

In terms of the ability to travel to any country, if the world doesn’t have faith in the testing numbers for whatever reason then they’re likely to end up on the naughty list leading to flight bans and/or quarantine after visiting. From a UK perspective, Turkey will not be trusted for a long while (hence anyone building a four sector itinerary to Turkey via ATH would have a problem on return).

Greece itself shouldn’t fall into the suspicious category, hence trips to the islands via ATH would be fine.
DELLAS, Resolution and Yreal like this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:05 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
To demonstrate how reactive things are getting, Auckland New Zealand has had a small out break 11 cases source from border quarantine all linked over two weeks. Australia had been running quarantine free arrivals from New Zealand for few months but based on 11 cases all contained and isolated re-instated the two week quarantine requirement. Real risk adverse in this part of the world and looks increasing like there will be no softening of the borders until both populations are vaccinated.
DELLAS, yauee and Resolution like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 12:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
So disappointed in Aegean. Why they haven't further extended elite status beyond a paltry 6 months is just mind boggling. I guess the silver lining is that now I will be considering other airlines who may offer a better price or routing where previously I would naturally default to A3.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
all but resigned to losing the A3 gold on May 23rd..oh well.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 9:40 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
all but resigned to losing the A3 gold on May 23rd..oh well.
yeah gonna be sad
Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:26 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by yauee
yeah gonna be sad
Could you expand on this? Your card shows an expiry of May 2022. Have you already re-qualified, or been given an extension?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
Mine is the same: I re-qualified so initially had an expiration of 24/11/2021 but after the 6 month extension I am now at 24/05/2022.
yauee likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Could you expand on this? Your card shows an expiry of May 2022. Have you already re-qualified, or been given an extension?
Requalified 459 days ago.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
My card also expires on 24/5/2022. Probably this is the rule rather than the exception among current A3*G cardholders, although perhaps not among Flyertalk posters.
yauee likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:50 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
My card also expires on 24/5/2022. Probably this is the rule rather than the exception among current A3*G cardholders, although perhaps not among Flyertalk posters.
did you requalify? or A3 renewed it out of courtesy? I didn't meet the requirement and it still shows May/2021
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Sorry, but what do you mean by this?
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yauee
Requalified 459 days ago.
And yet some people who flew enough in 2020 to requalify for A3*G less than 365 days ago are still slated to have their A3*G membership downgraded in November 2021. A3's approach to status extensions has led to this kind of divergence where A3*Gs requalifying in 2020 from just 2020 flights find themselves worse off than those who requalified mainly or even exclusively from 2019 flights.
intuition likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And yet some people who flew enough in 2020 to requalify for A3*G less than 365 days ago are still slated to have their A3*G membership downgraded in November 2021. A3's approach to status extensions has led to this kind of divergence where A3*Gs requalifying in 2020 from just 2020 flights find themselves worse off than those who requalified mainly or even exclusively from 2019 flights.
maybe you are right, actually don't understand what u mean..

quite a number of us have 24/11/2019 - 23/11/2020 for requalification. We requalify on the 29/11/2019, and our exp date 24/11/2021.

Mar 2020 they make a change to help people , now our new exp date 24/5/2022

Have been stuck in a kind of lockdown country with below 30 Covid-19 casualty and most importantly a country with no domestic flight, since Mar 2020 till now.

Last edited by yauee; Mar 3, 2021 at 6:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.