Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

12 month status extension for Gold card holders rolling out - Silver awaiting info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12 month status extension for Gold card holders rolling out - Silver awaiting info

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Another 2 flights cancelled! If they are not going to extend status, perhaps they should credit Status Miles for flights cancelled! That would cost them nothing!

Last edited by headingwest; Feb 20, 2021 at 7:44 am Reason: Status not Award
Old Feb 20, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Which - for most leisure travellers in Europe, with long haul closed off and generally very poor earning intra-Europe even when travel was possible for a few months - isn’t at the impossible stage but certainly extremely difficult and impractical.

There’s a UK announcement due on the predicted roadmap out of national lockdown. The general expectation is that foreign travel won’t be permitted until after May, so if that’s what emerges then it’ll be time to write to A3 pointing out my failure to re-qualify was due in large part to their cancellation of flights, having made just about every effort possible on more than one occasion but been prevented by legal travel restrictions. The flight cancellation was outside A3’s control as Salonica airport was closed at very short notice, but if they hold that up as an excuse then it’s certainly a very one-sided view of the relationship.

If in the circumstances they don’t extend then they’re really no longer the sort of airline or alliance I want to give business to, that’s the bottom line.
Agree with you the lockdown are pain. Especially for us who encounter international travel lockdown since March 2020. Will definitely concern about this starting from 25th May 2021 - 25th May 2022 requalification. .

I find intra-europe earning rate are actually much better than intra-asia, I could be wrong as Asia base flyer.

Last edited by yauee; Feb 20, 2021 at 8:14 pm
Old Feb 20, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
Big schedule changes folks. Since yesterday I have noticed that 4 of my flights have been cancelled, and another 2 with schedule changes.

How on earth can Aegean expect people to requalify for status without having to book unnecessary flights to/from Greece!?

Same here. Return trip from Paris to Athens in April. Both flights canceled. Not even an email from Aegean to inform about the cancellation. It makes me crazy. It's just like a year ago. Rebooked for May. Hopefully, flights won't be cancelled again. I need the miles to requlify for gold status.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KATERGOO
Same here. Return trip from Paris to Athens in April. Both flights canceled. Not even an email from Aegean to inform about the cancellation. It makes me crazy. It's just like a year ago. Rebooked for May. Hopefully, flights won't be cancelled again. I need the miles to requlify for gold status.

I am booked for May will cancel as its not going to be possible for travel, vaccinations and countries not ready for tourism. Sad but unfortunate.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KATERGOO
Same here. Return trip from Paris to Athens in April. Both flights canceled. Not even an email from Aegean to inform about the cancellation.
My guess is that they disabled the auto-send of notifications to avoid overloading the system (similar to what most airlines did last March). I have 7 bookings affected, and the first e-mail came this morning.

They have really made quite dramatic changes, so I guess it will take a little time for all notifications to filter through.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 5:37 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Oh yes - my requalification flight in April is now also severely disturbed: the flight back from Athens is now 30 mins later (which is ok).
But the outbound flight with connection to Samos is now not possible anymore. And the flight from Samos to Athens would be 2 hours earlier now.
Received info for the return flight, but nothing yet for the other 2 (all separate tickets).

Plus - since it was booked with vouchers, I can only get vouchers back
Old Feb 21, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
And ....downgraded to silver!

14000 miles and 4 qualifying flights cancelled in may.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by mgo72
And ....downgraded to silver!

14000 miles and 4 qualifying flights cancelled in may.
that sucks well I don’t believe in any other status extend this time unfortunately, I hope I am wrong as almost everytime
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:59 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
So NWIFlyer and any other UK people - if travelling for leisure is permitted on 17 May, and there is no status extension, will you be doing a quick trip to Greece before the deadline? I might do if some of the hassle is removed, probably not if 2 COVID tests are required on return which I expect will likely still be the case. If it happens to be a week of rain in the UK at that time I wouldn't mind self-isolating at home too , otherwise I will be travelling around the UK.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
So NWIFlyer and any other UK people - if travelling for leisure is permitted on 17 May, and there is no status extension, will you be doing a quick trip to Greece before the deadline? I might do if some of the hassle is removed, probably not if 2 COVID tests are required on return which I expect will likely still be the case. If it happens to be a week of rain in the UK at that time I wouldn't mind self-isolating at home too , otherwise I will be travelling around the UK.
I will do the other way:-) From Ath-London march 1 and back the next day. I will take 8 000 + miles for it. But i have to buy the test kit for 210 and stay 7 days home in greece. I was thinking hard about to do it or not....but like thes i am oke untill 2023 march with the gold . I hope Aegean will not go to bankraupt and i do thes for nothing:-))))
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:55 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by :D!
I’m in the slightly fortunate position that one of my uber-cheap March BA flights on the LHR-ATH part was cancelled, and therefore I can move to May for zero cost - otherwise it would have been much more expensive in J. Ditto my internal OA flight (although the ‘move at no cost’ option would have worked as well).

There’s clearly still very considerable risk around the 17th May date, so my plan is to fly to ATH on the last weekend, most likely 22nd, then collect my two OA internals on 23rd before completing what was supposed to be the original holiday in Athens.

If that goes wrong - and there’s still a reasonably high chance it will given a lot of data stars have to align in both the UK and Greece - then there’s not really any more I can do to paint a picture to A3 as to just how difficult it’s been to qualify when asking for an exception.

I’ll think about the potential test costs nearer the time - the outlay for MrsNWI and me is not inconsiderable, and it’s frustrating that I’ll also likely be taking a lateral flow test for work, but a couple of hundred pounds for each of us to re-qualify is probably small beer compared to our usual annual travel costs.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 5:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have several more months to wait to see what Aegean does about status acquisition/retention--related promotions/extensions, but either way I'm pretty sure I'll still end up with an easily renewed A3*G this year.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Like most of the people posting in this thread, I am very concerned about requalifying for gold, come May 2021. I have no hope of getting 4 AE flights until well after that, or, really, any travel at all until at least late summer.
Is there nothing we can do to convince Aegean to extend gold status, at least until November, which would be the year that most major airlines extended their gold members?
I can't stand to lose my gold status, but am powerless at the moment to move forward on any travel.
vulle likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I need to earn another 20k miles (of 8k+4) till December and am hoping that I'll be able to do so with my usual trips.
As I mentioned earlier the real "problem" in making this happen is that my usual mileage-optimized routings aren't available.
Flying between Europe and the US a fair bit I used to take SAS quite often in PE and C (alternatively AC in C would be a very good option).
Being mostly on direct flights these days I'm basically capped at 100% in UA P and won't get anything in LH P.
Am considering flying one leg in LH/LX A later this year to make up for it (and enjoy First class obviously).

I'm desparately waiting for LH's summer schedule to be finalized so I can figure out how to make this happen :P
Good luck everyone, May is so soon unfortunately. I do consider myself lucky having the year end in December.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by karns
Like most of the people posting in this thread, I am very concerned about requalifying for gold, come May 2021. I have no hope of getting 4 AE flights until well after that, or, really, any travel at all until at least late summer.
Is there nothing we can do to convince Aegean to extend gold status, at least until November, which would be the year that most major airlines extended their gold members?
I can't stand to lose my gold status, but am powerless at the moment to move forward on any travel.
We may again see some airlines more or less sell *G status without a flying requirement. It may even turn out cheaper than flying for *G status.

Maybe A3 will get int the business of selling *G status? I would be surprised if they haven't considered an idea like that.
DELLAS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.