Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
Originally Posted by sotirisb
Wow, great feedback matio_svk, blackball. I was intuitively suspecting that M&B would be a better way to go, and your are confirming it... Besides all else, LH's declining level of service is making this choice easier... BTW I can't even access the M&M portal right now, which seems to be happening too frequently...
important is also to check the Fares you usually fly, for example LH K fare is worthless on M+B
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by KLouis
True that rows 6+ have shorter leg room than 1-5 but it seems to me that you have not flown much on other airlines lately. Other than LCCs (worse than A3) all European planes I've been on are very, very similar as far as leg room is concerned (including, of course, LH). At any rate, with OLCI opening at -48 hours, getting a seat in the back is extremely rare for me, and don't forget (like I always do ), that as soon as you book you can call them and reserve your favorite seat up front, provided you're M+B Gold!
Well, I have flown many times with LH lately, and once with Brussels Air.

The seat pitch specs I see online do not seem to match my experience, which puzzles me (oh, I could be wrong!). However, when flying LH, I distinctly remember that I am always able to cross my legs without pressing hard against the front seat's back. This isn't the case with A3. My only guess is that it's because LH uses these very thin seats, which may indeed give some extra room (at the same pitch?).

But anyway, I always pre-book my seats like you said, so it's been a while since I tried the "regular" A3 economy seats. I tend to prefer row 12, as row 11 seats cannot recline due to the emergency exit
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:49 pm

Hi,

I have some newbie questions and hope someone can enlighten me.
I'm a A3 *G and planning to fly from SFO to ATH in August (current plan is August 20 until September 3, but I'm somewhat flexible).

Questions:
1.) If I fly a route where the last leg to ATH is on Aegean, would I be able to use the 4 free business upgrades from Aegean to upgrade those segments? For example, I found a flight via LHR where the first segment is on United and the LHR-ATH segment is on Aegean.
2.) Would the Aegean segments from the example above count towards the 4 Aegean flights needed to requalify with 12k miles?
3.) If the business upgrade on Aegean segments from question 1 isn't feasible, I would consider using my A3 miles for an award upgrade from economy. Are there certain economy fare classes that would not allow me to upgrade? And if yes, how can I find out about those? Is there a way to find out if an award upgrade would be possible on a certain flight?
4.) If I read the Aegean seat upgrade chart correctly, then an upgrade from Economy to Business from US to Greece would cost 40k miles on way, so 80k miles roundtrip. Did I get that right?

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 1:12 am

Ad 1) Assuming availability in booking class I, you can generally upgrade Aegean operated segments with your vouchers if the ticket is issued on Aegean or Olympic ticket stock and the flight number on the ticket for that segment is an Aegean or Olympic one. Not all flights offer business class service. And for short flights, it is usually not worth the effort.

Golight tickets in the three lowest booking class are exempt, but i think such an itinerary would not be sold as golight anyway.

Ad 2: Yes.

I'll leave 3&4 for more experienced FTers.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by kiteloop
Hi,

I have some newbie questions and hope someone can enlighten me.
I'm a A3 *G and planning to fly from SFO to ATH in August (current plan is August 20 until September 3, but I'm somewhat flexible).

Questions:
1.) If I fly a route where the last leg to ATH is on Aegean, would I be able to use the 4 free business upgrades from Aegean to upgrade those segments? For example, I found a flight via LHR where the first segment is on United and the LHR-ATH segment is on Aegean.
2.) Would the Aegean segments from the example above count towards the 4 Aegean flights needed to requalify with 12k miles?
3.) If the business upgrade on Aegean segments from question 1 isn't feasible, I would consider using my A3 miles for an award upgrade from economy. Are there certain economy fare classes that would not allow me to upgrade? And if yes, how can I find out about those? Is there a way to find out if an award upgrade would be possible on a certain flight?
4.) If I read the Aegean seat upgrade chart correctly, then an upgrade from Economy to Business from US to Greece would cost 40k miles on way, so 80k miles roundtrip. Did I get that right?

Thanks!
1) As already stated, the ticket would have to issued by Aegean (i.e. with a ticket number beginning 390) which it almost certainly wouldn't be in your case, so no, you probably can't upgrade the flights with the vouchers.

2) Yes, absolutely for certain.

3) Here is the page from their website concerning that:

https://en.about.aegeanair.com/media...821.1452419703

It mentions nothing about specific booking classes or ticket types so I would think it is probably possible but I would call them first. For availability you can use the "Spend Miles" section on your M&B account to check. Try to make a dummy booking for the dates in question and if it shows that a Business Class seat is available then you should be able to get an upgrade on that flight (In both circumstances (1) and (3))

4) Correct. BUT... probably the ticket type required for an upgrade on your United flight from SFO may be very restrictive. I'm not sure where to check that - probably with United (assuming that is who you are flying with). Due to the (usually) high class of ticket required for an upgrade, upgrade awards are usually NOT good value for money/points. The upgrade would cost you 40,000 each way and you can but an outright business class ticket for 45,000!

If it were me... I would use the points you were considering using for the upgrade to buy a one-way business class ticket SFO-LHR-ATH (45,000 points) and then pay for the trip home in a different booking, probably Aegean to CPH (upgraded with a voucher) then SAS to SFO (one of the few who allow one-way TA flights at a reasonable price, 100% award points and possibly cheaply upgradeable through SAS's auction scheme). I think this would cost less overall.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Dec 27, 2016 at 2:15 am
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:49 pm

Thanks for the info sokolov and Knobbgb - very much appreciated!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:54 pm

I'm flying ARN-HGK on SK in Premium Economy (fare P). M&B earnings chart is 200%. How many miles will I get?

EuroBonus earnings are 6000 points - will I receive double that or is my M&B earnings calculated differently?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
It is 200% of the actual distance, in your case the distance is 5100 miles - thus you should get around 10200 points when crediting the flight to M+B. Double that amount if flying roundtrip (same fare).

Last edited by Xandrios; Dec 28, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kiteloop
I suspect that, if the ticket is not issued by Aegean, you will have to go by the star alliance upgrade rules. Which requires a very expensive economy booking class (generally Y/B/M) in order to be allowed to upgrade. You better first inquire before booking, to avoid disappointment.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
It is 200% of the actual distance, in your case the distance is 5100 miles - thus you should get around 10200 points when crediting the flight to M+B. Double that amount if flying roundtrip (same fare).
Thank you for quick answer! Is the distance found on gcmap.com fairly accurate for what M&B uses?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by wonderpants
Thank you for quick answer! Is the distance found on gcmap.com fairly accurate for what M&B uses?
It's usually a little less (maybe 10 to 20 miles) than indicated on GCMAP - not enough to make any difference usually. I believe this is because airlines use some published figures between city centres rather than airports - although that fails to explain why it always seems to be less rather than more. For example the awarded mileage from ATH to LHR and LGW is identical even thought LHR is actually 29 miles longer. As a side note, the miles you will get when crediting a SAS flight to M&B will be determined by SK not A3. The SK booking engine is actually quite good at telling you exactly how many miles you will earn if you enter your M&B number at the time of booking. It's always been accurate for me anyway.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Dec 29, 2016 at 6:36 am
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
It's usually a little less (maybe 10 to 20 miles) than indicated on GCMAP - not enough to make any difference usually. I believe this is because airlines use some published figures between city centres rather than airports - although that fails to explain why it always seems to be less rather than more. For example the awarded mileage from ATH to LHR and LGW is identical even thought LHR is actually 29 miles longer. As a side note, the miles you will get when crediting a SAS flight to M&B will be determined by SK not A3. The SK booking engine is actually quite good at telling you exactly how many miles you will earn if you enter your M&B number at the time of booking. It's always been accurate for me anyway.
I booked through CWT so I could no see this. When doing a dummy booking at sas.com I only see 12000 EB points - I guess I have to buy the actual flight to see M&B earnings?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:11 am

Yeah I tried - it doesn't display it any more - it used to show it somewhere before booking. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by wonderpants
I'm flying ARN-HGK on SK in Premium Economy (fare P). M&B earnings chart is 200%. How many miles will I get?

EuroBonus earnings are 6000 points - will I receive double that or is my M&B earnings calculated differently?
had the same flight/class:

Stockholm-Hong Kong (ARN - HKG) - SK0963 - B 10252
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by gguniss
had the same flight/class:

Stockholm-Hong Kong (ARN - HKG) - SK0963 - B 10252
Thanks! Only 3500 miles left for re-qualification then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.