Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Lounge Access with A3*G Card but non-*G status on boarding pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access with A3*G Card but non-*G status on boarding pass

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Hi all,

So from what I've gathered, with regards to an upcoming trip that I have next month SIN-HKG and HKG-SIN on SQ, I'll leave my A3 *G FFP number in the system. Upon check in and receiving my boarding pass, I can log into SQ's website and change my FFP back to SQ KF?

Noting that I actually want all the miles to be credited to SQ KF.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:07 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by RCTP
Hi all,

So from what I've gathered, with regards to an upcoming trip that I have next month SIN-HKG and HKG-SIN on SQ, I'll leave my A3 *G FFP number in the system. Upon check in and receiving my boarding pass, I can log into SQ's website and change my FFP back to SQ KF?

Noting that I actually want all the miles to be credited to SQ KF.
In my experience, just showing a *G card at the *G lounge in SIN is sufficient (I did it when moving from BD Diamond Club to A3 a couple of years ago) - and SQ's website generally does not allow a change to the FF number once entered (at least that's the case for TA bookings).

I would personally put the KF number in the booking and use the card for lounge access (for what that's worth at SIN, in honesty - the SQ *G lounge in T3 must be one of the worst in the network).
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
In my experience, just showing a *G card at the *G lounge in SIN is sufficient (I did it when moving from BD Diamond Club to A3 a couple of years ago) - and SQ's website generally does not allow a change to the FF number once entered (at least that's the case for TA bookings).

I would personally put the KF number in the booking and use the card for lounge access (for what that's worth at SIN, in honesty - the SQ *G lounge in T3 must be one of the worst in the network).
Thanks NWIFlyer, I understand that the A3 *G card will suffice and that the KF Gold lounge at SIN is very underwhelming.

I'm just curious as to will the system work the way I mentioned. Check in with A3 FFP number, upon receiving boarding pass, go to the internet to change the FFP back to SQ KF. Anybody done that before?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:03 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by RCTP
I'm just curious as to will the system work the way I mentioned. Check in with A3 FFP number, upon receiving boarding pass, go to the internet to change the FFP back to SQ KF. Anybody done that before?
I don't actually believe you can do this. I'm in the middle of an SQ-only itinerary at the moment, and certainly - once entered - the airline's MMB has not allowed me to change the FFP.

Presumably it can be done at check-in or possibly at the lounge, although bear in mind that SQ are pretty much a law unto themselves and may well refuse to do something that you see as perfectly reasonable.

Additionally, with SQ's/Changi's procedures of checking your passport before they tick or stamp your boarding pass, which in turn allows you through airside and on the plane, I personally wouldn't chance it given the ease with which you can just wave a card at them anyway.

There's no special treatment for *G in terms of priority lines that you'd be missing out on - so you have everything to lose and nothing to gain.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:59 am

Hate to bump an old thread, but here is what happened today for me:

Flying on UA metal, domestic US. Online Check-in with A3 (Gold). Actually was not presented with an option to change back to MileagePlus.

Got to the United Lounge, no problem. Asked to change the FF# on my way out, which was also no problem. However, the boarding group used to be premier access when I had the A3 on there, but that changed to group 3 after changing over to MP (I have no status on United). This goes against the theory that the system remembers the most generous benefits, unless that theory only holds when there is no human involved in changing the programs manually. She also took my boarding pass that had *G, so I was left with a generic boarding pass. Group 3? Ugh!

But, thankfully I had the mobile boarding passes sent to me on initial online checkin, I was ready to play "oh yeah I forgot" card if called out, but... boarded group 1 with the mobile pass, nothing was said. I guess the barcodes aren't coded with boarding group numbers.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:27 pm

2nd data point: I had 2 legs on this itinerary, the 1st of which I posted above. The 2nd leg, I tried using my mobile passes like I did but it beeped and said invalid barcode. So maybe it just took a little bit to process in the system.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:19 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by djtsukasa
Hate to bump an old thread, but here is what happened today for me:

Flying on UA metal, domestic US. Online Check-in with A3 (Gold). Actually was not presented with an option to change back to MileagePlus.

Got to the United Lounge, no problem. Asked to change the FF# on my way out, which was also no problem. However, the boarding group used to be premier access when I had the A3 on there, but that changed to group 3 after changing over to MP (I have no status on United). This goes against the theory that the system remembers the most generous benefits, unless that theory only holds when there is no human involved in changing the programs manually. She also took my boarding pass that had *G, so I was left with a generic boarding pass. Group 3? Ugh!

But, thankfully I had the mobile boarding passes sent to me on initial online checkin, I was ready to play "oh yeah I forgot" card if called out, but... boarded group 1 with the mobile pass, nothing was said. I guess the barcodes aren't coded with boarding group numbers.
Originally Posted by djtsukasa
2nd data point: I had 2 legs on this itinerary, the 1st of which I posted above. The 2nd leg, I tried using my mobile passes like I did but it beeped and said invalid barcode. So maybe it just took a little bit to process in the system.
The latter experience is pretty much in line with what I'd expect to happen in terms of boarding groups with UA. You can't have your cake and eat it (although, to be fair, the chance of finding decent cake in a United Club is pretty remote in the first place)!

You need to decide in future whether you want to have lounge access or priority boarding - you can't have both.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by dominik208
I thought the operating airline is billed for lounge access...
Following up to this, it seems that unless you are in an eligible class, the FFP gets billed for your access. So not crediting your miles is actually hurting the program in the end. As NWIFlyer said "You can't have your cake and eat it too"!

Pick what is most important to you and stick with it or it's basically going to be spoiled for everyone in the long run.

Someone asked about A3's impact to MLLs and this was the response:
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
This isn't really something we have the ability to control. By STAR guidelines, *G members are entitled to priority services, including priority boarding. It's up to each member carrier to determine at which level it grants *G status (as to your point, they foot the bill for lounge entries, etc.)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22988058-post88.html

Originally Posted by Ben Smith
Some of these are confidential but what I can tell you is when accessing Star lounges using your AC Gold status it is AC that gets billed regardless of operating carrier and when you access a Star lounge using your cabin eligibility it is the operating carrier that pays.

Operating carrier gets paid regardless of whose ticket stock is used
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22877906-post319.html

Last edited by tkyoshi; Jun 11, 2014 at 11:51 am
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:39 am

Thanks for that tkyoshi.

If Aegean has provided the chance for *G status, stick with them; I say.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The latter experience is pretty much in line with what I'd expect to happen in terms of boarding groups with UA. You can't have your cake and eat it (although, to be fair, the chance of finding decent cake in a United Club is pretty remote in the first place)!

You need to decide in future whether you want to have lounge access or priority boarding - you can't have both.
I only said that because people in the past on this thread have reported that the system "remembers" the most generous benefits inputted regardless of what the actual FFP you are crediting to is. So, I tried to switch and it worked on one leg, didn't on the other. Just wanted to debunk that theory.. but you're right, absolutely no decent cake in any United Lounge! Although the club at my home airport is quite decent now (but still no cake, haha)

Much rather have lounge access...
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Hi guys,
I got a question:
How do you maintain your status as gold in Miles&Bonus, while earning points in another Star Alliance airline?

Sincerely,

SB
Old Jun 20, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by strikerbird
Hi guys,
I got a question:
How do you maintain your status as gold in Miles&Bonus, while earning points in another Star Alliance airline?

Sincerely,

SB
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...sh-course.html
Because there is a FAQ for most things if you search.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K
for the people who credit their miles to UA (when flying UA), what's your plan when the revenue-based scheme kicks in?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Originally Posted by kanor
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...sh-course.html
Because there is a FAQ for most things if you search.
Thanks, I just scanned the forum. I did not find the answer to my question.

SB
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
My method is to earn enough points in Miles & Bonus to renew my Gold, then start crediting future flights to another scheme to get Gold in that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.