Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra golf resort and spa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra golf resort and spa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2012, 4:54 am

You guys are all in the good mood for this hotel so sorry if below comments doesn't sound good.

First, our Accour Plus status was Gold by the time we check in but the receptionist still came and ask us if we would like to upgrade for a certain fee.

Second, when we have lunch at the restaurant (Citadel), they count my 2 years old daughter as an adult. So so funny, just a little money so we didn't bother to argue with them but 10 dollars really ruined the good feeling that I have about this hotel.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: CO - Platinum(now UA1K), Honors - Diamond, Starwood - Platinum, Hertz - Pres circle, National Exec
Sofitel Angkor - Cambodia

Just tried to use the free platinum mebership, but it doesnt seem to have worked... when I registered through the link it gave me only "classic" membership. Hmm.

So I just booked my first stay with Accor at the Sofitel in Cambodia, Siem Reap... can anyone get me an upgrade?

- UPDATE, I tried again with a different email address and was successful in obtaining a new account with platinum status (woohoo!), so hopefully I will be upgraded. Anyone have experience with platinum benefits for this specific hotel?

Last edited by TXHolmes; Jan 13, 2013 at 9:04 pm Reason: UPDATE
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:20 pm

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Haivan
You guys are all in the good mood for this hotel so sorry if below comments doesn't sound good.

First, our Accour Plus status was Gold by the time we check in but the receptionist still came and ask us if we would like to upgrade for a certain fee.

Second, when we have lunch at the restaurant (Citadel), they count my 2 years old daughter as an adult. So so funny, just a little money so we didn't bother to argue with them but 10 dollars really ruined the good feeling that I have about this hotel.
Just realized about your posting. I felt very sorry that your experience is very differ with us. I wanted to know if your booking was complimentary night or the ordinary bookings? Because I have ever got the same problem (on the other hotel of course) regarding to my Adv Plus Complimentary night. The hotel said that I have to pay certain fee if I would like to upgrade and they told me that they cannot upgrade me for free eventhough I was Gold (I was Gold on that time) since it was complimentary night.

So I wonder if your booking was complimentary night or not. IMHO, probably u were met the wrong person in the wrong time. Because my stays in Sofitel Angkor was free (from the Ultimate Packer Game) but they still honor the elite status there and my room was upgraded eventhough it was free .

Originally Posted by TXHolmes
Just tried to use the free platinum mebership, but it doesnt seem to have worked... when I registered through the link it gave me only "classic" membership. Hmm.

So I just booked my first stay with Accor at the Sofitel in Cambodia, Siem Reap... can anyone get me an upgrade?

- UPDATE, I tried again with a different email address and was successful in obtaining a new account with platinum status (woohoo!), so hopefully I will be upgraded. Anyone have experience with platinum benefits for this specific hotel?
I usually email the hotel in advance so they would know that I would stay at their hotel. I suggest you to asking by email politely, "what are the special privileges for Accor Platinum member who stay at your hotel ?"

I believe that Sofitel Angkor staffs would do their best for their Platinum members. Btw, you could read all the previous posts here regarding our experiences in Sofitel Angkor. Good luck and don't forget to tell your story here after that.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Hello Virtualaris
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay there as much as I enjoy them
My next stay is already booked
Originally Posted by virtualaris
Just realized about your posting. I felt very I usually email the hotel in advance so they would know that I would stay at their hotel. I suggest you to asking by email politely, "what are the special privileges for Accor Platinum member who stay at your hotel ?"

I believe that Sofitel Angkor staffs would do their best for their Platinum members. Btw, you could read all the previous posts here regarding our experiences in Sofitel Angkor. Good luck and don't forget to tell your story here after that.
Since you guys are so great fans of this hotel, I decided to try it in my visit to Siam Reap in september. A friend of mine that has already been to the place warned me that the hotel is a bit far away from, let's say, the main action of the city, like restaurants, bars etc. How the ground transportation works? Is it easy to visit the city and return during the night?

The hotel also send me an email offering a transport from/to the airport for US$70 (both ways). I would be okay with this value anywhere in the world, but my feeling is that Cambodia is very cheap place. Is this overpriced?

Thank you in advance guys!

Alex
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by AlexMC
Since you guys are so great fans of this hotel, I decided to try it in my visit to Siam Reap in september. A friend of mine that has already been to the place warned me that the hotel is a bit far away from, let's say, the main action of the city, like restaurants, bars etc. How the ground transportation works? Is it easy to visit the city and return during the night?
It is about 25 min walking to old market / pub street and 5 min by Tuk-Tuk ($3-4 for both ways), so no big deal.

Originally Posted by AlexMC
The hotel also send me an email offering a transport from/to the airport for US$70 (both ways). I would be okay with this value anywhere in the world, but my feeling is that Cambodia is very cheap place. Is this overpriced?
Yes, clearly. A regular taxi costs $7 (flat rate). OK, the car you'll get from the hotel will be much nicer but the taxis are perfectly OK. And the ride to/from the airport is quite short (REP airport is very close to temples and city center).
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:52 pm
KRS

As I am visiting this hotel soon I have a couple of questions:

Taxi from the airport is still the way to go? The hotel is quoting USD40 vs the USD7 for a taxi. Can I get USD (cash) easily at the airport, or is it advisable to bring the cash I foresee being required for the trip?

Is there anywhere to go jogging from the hotel (i.e other than the treadmill in the gym)?

Has anyone used drivers/guides provided through the hotel for seeing the sights? The hotel is quoting USD65/USD110 for 4 hours(up to 50km) / 8 hours(up to 90 km) + USD22/33 for an English speaking tour guide (not sure if the tour guide is per person). We will be staying for 4 nights, probably visiting the sights on 2 days; should I look elsewhere?

Finally, is there duty free wine/spirits at REP for departing flights?

Appreciate any feedback!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by KRS
Taxi from the airport is still the way to go? The hotel is quoting USD40 vs the USD7 for a taxi.
Yes, taxi is the way to go. The $7 fare is no problem to obtain as it is the official flat fare. The taxi booth at the exit will give you a ticket and will bring you to your taxi. It's up to you of course to choose a regular taxi (which will be perfectly fine) versus the nice hotel car. Personally, I don't se the interest for the $40 option, as we are talking about a 15 min trip.

Originally Posted by KRS
Can I get USD (cash) easily at the airport, or is it advisable to bring the cash I foresee being required for the trip?
Yes, there is an ATM at the airport, several in town. The closest to the hotel is further down the hotel street (Charles de Gaulle Bd, on the right leaving the hotel, on the other side of the street. 5 min walking from hotel).

Originally Posted by KRS
Is there anywhere to go jogging from the hotel (i.e other than the treadmill in the gym)?
I would say yes, but Cambodian cities are generally not so easy to jog around compared to western cities. Be careful with the traffic and don't forget it's very hot around there. Better to stay at the gym IMO.

Originally Posted by KRS
Has anyone used drivers/guides provided through the hotel for seeing the sights? The hotel is quoting USD65/USD110 for 4 hours(up to 50km) / 8 hours(up to 90 km) + USD22/33 for an English speaking tour guide (not sure if the tour guide is per person). We will be staying for 4 nights, probably visiting the sights on 2 days; should I look elsewhere?
I used their services (driver + guide) the 1st time I stayed there and was happy with the service. Of course, the hotel charges more than what you would find elsewhere. Alternatively, take a guide and just use a tuk-tuk. There are plenty everywhere and it will be much cheaper.

Originally Posted by KRS
Finally, is there duty free wine/spirits at REP for departing flights?
I don't remember spirits/wine at the REP shops, but that doesn't mean there's none. They mostly have local stuff (Artisan d'Angkor shop, etc). I never really paid attention to spirits. I'm sure there's some in PNH but REP ?

Enjoy this wonderful place and hotel . I'm jealous but will go back soon
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:00 pm
KRS

Thanks a lot, Goldorak! ^
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Here is a review of my 9th stay (yes, I know how lucky I am ) in this hotel (6 nights). It was the 2nd step of a 2 weeks stay in SE Asia during which I stayed in 3 excellent Sofitel (Phnom Penh, Siem Reap/Angkor and Saigon). I have just posted the PNH review and will write the Saigon one right after. Another top notch experience in this fantastic hotel, even better than the previous ones ^^^.

Fantastic welcome, as the staff members who know us were expecting us. This hotel has no club millesime, and as the main lobby was quite busy with many guests checking-in, we were directed to the nice and quiet bar where check-in formalities were done with the usual cold oshibori and drink + some more warm welcomes by the assistant GM and additional staff members who were advised that we had arrived. What a wonderful way to make you feel at home with friends ^.

Rooms were upgraded
In the room, a welcome letter signed by the GM, similar as the one in PNH :
"Dear Mr Goldorak, it is with great pleasure that my team and I welcome you back to Siem Reap (…)
At Sofitel Angkor, as a platinum member of Le Club Accorhotels loyalty program, you will experience privileges exclusively designed to thank you for your loyalty :
- welcome drink : we are delighted to treat you to a glass from our beverage selection at the Explorer Tale's bar
- room upgrade : we have upgraded you to one of our junior suite. We hoe you will be pleased.
- VIP treatment : a special amenity is waiting in your room. Bon appétit
- Complimentary internet : stay connected at all times anywhere in the hotel and for free
- Complimentary newspaper (Phnom Penh post or Cambodia daily) : your selected newspaper will be delivered to you every morning ito keep up with the latest news from around the world
- late check-out : we will do our best to grant you a late check-out, pending availability. Check with our staff the day before your departure.
(…)
All my team is dedicated to make your stay a memorable experience.
(…)
"

As usual in the room, a big basket of tropical fruits was present.

During the stay, the management of the hotel (assistant GM and F&D manager, both French) took great care of us inviting us for having a drink at the bar and spent some time with us, during this moment, to discuss about their work and life in Cambodia and our opinion of the hotel. And we had also a nice chat with the GM the day of departure.
Among new things, they have a new chef (German). He was working before at the famous La Mamounia hotel in Marrakech and he speaks perfectly French. We tried his cuisine one evening at the Mouhot's dream restaurant of the hotel and it was one of the best meal I had recently :-::-::-:. We had also an interesting discussion with him about his work and past experiences and we, of course, congratulated him for this excellent dinner.

What is fantastic in this hotel is that the management is really passionate and engaged. And all the staff is at the top of kindness and professionalism. But I already said that a hundred times in previous posts about this hotel .

Among bad news, I was very sad to learn about the death in 2013 of a staff member I knew for several years who was working at the pool. This poor man died in a few months of an aggressive cancer. Rest in peace, my friend

So in summary, you'll surely understood that this hotel is still the best in the world and that Le Club rules were perfectly implemented.
Big thumbs up to the management (Mr Ducry, Mr Metanomski, Mr Pape, Mr Sorn) and all the staff of Sofitel Angkor ^^^^^

Points posted very rapidly and with the correct amount.

Last edited by Goldorak; Mar 2, 2014 at 3:46 am
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:35 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Among bad news, I was very sad to learn about the death in 2013 of a staff member I knew for several years who was working at the pool. This poor man died in a few months of an aggressive cancer. Rest in peace, my friend
Sorry to hear Goldorak .

What I have learnt from reading this post is that this actually takes loyalty to a total different level, and that some aspects just cannot be meassured in Revenue turnover but people from such different worlds as I gather Goldorak and the passing of the pool employee are/were from.

I had a very similar experience now in Thailand at a Sofitel earlier this week but will start a new TR on the subject when I get back to Europe a little later...

As always, great to read your TR's and as you know I always follow your advice and I would advice all other readers in here to do the same ^
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
So in summary, you'll surely understood that this hotel is still the best in the world and that Le Club rules were perfectly implemented.
Big thumbs up to the management (Mr Ducry, Mr Metanomski, Mr Pape, Mr Sorn) and all the staff of Sofitel Angkor ^^^^^

Points posted very rapidly and with the correct amount.
I was greeted by Mr Sorn during my arrival and I told him that I have friend who have stayed for 7th times here (it was 7th on that time) and when I said "Goldorak", Mr Sorn seem lost in his own world; trying to find a guest named "Goldorak". On that moment, I was realized...oops, it's just a nickname I think. Then I tried to change the topic of the conversation.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by virtualaris
I was greeted by Mr Sorn during my arrival and I told him that I have friend who have stayed for 7th times here (it was 7th on that time) and when I said "Goldorak", Mr Sorn seem lost in his own world; trying to find a guest named "Goldorak". On that moment, I was realized...oops, it's just a nickname I think. Then I tried to change the topic of the conversation.
You know, I'm glad this is not my real name
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:03 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
You know, I'm glad this is not my real name
What do you mean it's not your real name
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Cupart
What do you mean it's not your real name
But you know my real name : it's you who discovered it and disclosed it on FT : Platinumorak
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Hey guys...10th stay at Sofitel Angkor ^
Still as wonderful as before. There is a new GM, who was the assistant GM in Sofitel Phnom Penh previously. He's caring as much as the previous GM. I was personally greated by him and other managers (who are unchanged) and of course all the staff. We were all happy to see each other again. I had booked a superior room and was upgraded to a luxury room. Otherwise, same excellent treatment as usual, much more than the regular Platinum treatment because (total care +++ )
So instead of repeating here what I already said in previous reviews, I will add pictures. Not all are from this year (so don't be surprised to the the pool blue or more green; blue is the last color after a renovation of the pool in 2014).

The main lobby, restaurants and common parts of the hotel (gardens) :

The Apsara dance show, every evening at the outside restaurant :

The beautiful swimming pool, the pool side restaurant and the serpent bar

When companies are having meetings at the Sofitel, they often organize special dinners on the pool side (and also on the temple sites) :

The Spa and fitness room :

A luxury room :

A junior suite (includes a very large dressing room) :

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.