Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A day flight to LHR from where?
PHL would be good. I love the day fight to London. I took VS18 out of EWR a few years ago. You leave at 8am, get into LHR at 8pm, tube to Central London, hotel room ready, late meal, call it a night. Next morning: feel great and ready to go. That compared to sleeping, at most, a couple of hours on the overnight flight, getting to London in the morning only to find your room will not be ready until 3pm. Half awake and homeless.

I think the big issue with the day flight is poor aircraft utilization. BA and VS can make it work with onward flights in the late evening. For a carrier like US, a flight getting into LHR at 8pm really has nowhere to go until the morning. Then it obviously can't get back to PHL in time to cover the morning flight back to LHR.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
I think the big issue with the day flight is poor aircraft utilization. BA and VS can make it work with onward flights in the late evening. For a carrier like US, a flight getting into LHR at 8pm really has nowhere to go until the morning. Then it obviously can't get back to PHL in time to cover the morning flight back to LHR.
I guess the JBA solves this problem: if the day flight is warranted, BA could move one of its rotations to cover it, and then AA could add further evening flights. (Though actually, pmAA does already operate one of the early JFK flights. What do they do with that plane overnight?)
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Time will tell whether there would be demand for this, and the amount of valid connections into PHL before it were to leave would also be a big factor - in spite of PHL's decent local traffic, it doesn't rival NYC on London traffic, and there really isn't much in the way of onward late evening connections from LHR either. You already covered the aircraft utilization issue, though I would expect landing slots to be (much, much) cheaper for an evening arrival. This may not be the case for an early morning westbound departure.

From the business traveler perspective, this effectively wastes a day, though I do sympathize with the issues of leaving in the evening and arriving in London in the morning for some in terms of adjusting to the new time zone. Just because I can easily travel 5-7 time zones and land in Europe and function the next day doesn't mean everyone can.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
My assumption is the OP was thinking PHL once the merger is done.
Yes. PHL. Sorry, I knew there was something missing...
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ellinj
biggest thing I will miss assuming it isn't adopted by AA is cheap mileage upgrades. 9k and no copay is cheap money to guarantee an upgrade on a transcon. AA seems to be 15k plus a $75 copay.
^ There will be a lot of things to be missed if the program leans towards the AA side of things... affordable upgrades, I agree, is definitely one of them.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by miffSC
^ There will be a lot of things to be missed if the program leans towards the AA side of things... affordable upgrades, I agree, is definitely one of them.
If you assume that anything will go down in the worse way for customers (or even the worst possible way of combining the worst parts of each) you will never be disappointed. It probably won't be that bad, but if you assume that it will, any partway there will be an improvement rather than a disappointment.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:21 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by phlwookie
From the business traveler perspective, this effectively wastes a day, though I do sympathize with the issues of leaving in the evening and arriving in London in the morning for some in terms of adjusting to the new time zone.
Actually, to the contrary, as transoceanic wi-fi becomes more common, daytime flights will waste less time than red-eyes for people who can't sleep in an airplane seat.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Well, no, but it's the idea that since everyone isn't getting upgraded automatically, there may be more upgrade space available for those that do want to request it for that flight.

I'm in the 75% range as a Silver as well, but my hope is that maybe I'll now have a shot at some of those BOS-PHX or CLT-XXX legs - both from the BOS-PHX connecting traffic getting partially offloaded to BOS-DFW for connections and the people not requesting upgrades for whatever reason. I could do without some of the PWM-DCA/PHL upgrades if it means a shot at some longer flights in F.

Now, if the above is wishful thinking, you can just tell me that and I'll accept it.
I'm doubtful this happens; the flights people will want to burn stickers on will be transcons.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'm doubtful this happens; the flights people will want to burn stickers on will be transcons.
Well, I think I've seen you over in the AS forum - it sounds like I might just go for AS MVPG if I stop getting upgraded on AA/US. Out of BOS, I'd at least stand a good chance of a transcon upgrade - I've been monitoring the BOS-SAN upgrade list and F cabin space and it's leaving with an empty list/open seats fairly often. Assuming the merged airline doesn't change, at least AS elites have access to AA MCE, right? That's pretty good if I wasn't getting upgraded anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Early 2014 transition from *A to OW

http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/new...e-done-by-2014

Announcement for the approximate date of the changeover from Star Alliance to One World for US Airways
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/new...e-done-by-2014

Announcement for the approximate date of the changeover from Star Alliance to One World for US Airways
I was told here yesterday this isn't news until the actual date is publsihed. On a side note the A319 I flew today had the star logo by the door painted over? Has anyone else noticed that? If my phone was not dead I would have gotten a photo.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by AggieNzona
I was told here yesterday this isn't news until the actual date is publsihed. On a side note the A319 I flew today had the star logo by the door painted over? Has anyone else noticed that? If my phone was not dead I would have gotten a photo.
more than likely it was a sticker that was worn off resulting in a "clean" spot on the paint, which would have looked like it was painted over. I would find it hard to believe US would do anything like that ahead of the merger being finalized.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
They may have slowly started to transition out. My flight's last weekend still announced US as a Star Alliance member so I guess until they end that relationship, they'll still announce it
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
On a recent PHL-PDX transcon the credit card pitch included some new verbiage, something about the miles being "good to use on any *A airline" and "and OW after the summer."
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Well, I think I've seen you over in the AS forum - it sounds like I might just go for AS MVPG if I stop getting upgraded on AA/US. Out of BOS, I'd at least stand a good chance of a transcon upgrade - I've been monitoring the BOS-SAN upgrade list and F cabin space and it's leaving with an empty list/open seats fairly often. Assuming the merged airline doesn't change, at least AS elites have access to AA MCE, right? That's pretty good if I wasn't getting upgraded anyway.
They do? After the end of the year, AA Golds will no longer have free access to it. Why would they be giving it free to AS elites and not them? In fact, I'm not sure if AS elites have free access to DL's Economy Comfort either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.