Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Such outrage over setting status top-offs! Because there are no shortcuts at AA. if you get status, you EARN it, of course. Every AA MM/2MM got that way from actually flying, and not from dragging dollar coins to the bank.....

There was an earlier post along the lines of "we can argue all day about whose pig has the brightest lipstick. But at the end of the day, it's still a pig."
Thank you for saying so eloquently what I was trying to formulate in my head as I read down the page.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:48 am

As a lowly silver (appx. 40k/year) I'm most interested to hear what happens to me - all US CP's and AA Plat I'm sure will be just fine. Sounds like my tier on American is relatively useless with no upgrades so am wondering if upgrades will be done at my level on the new American or if they will keep that piece from US Airways.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by dcpatti
While it may be a controversial program, it's quite possibly more profitable to sell the status uplift than to sell a cheap transcon to someone who is short of the next level qualifications. If you sell just the uplift, that leaves the actual flight(s) still available for another passenger to buy. With loads and fares being what they are, the "trashy" "laughable" program may generate more profit. And make no mistake: profit will still be king.

So I'm genuinely interested in seeing if it survives.
Indeed. Neither airline is in business to please elites, have the best [insert thing here], or even to fly airplanes. They're in business to make money - flying passenger planes and the related accoutrements just happens to be the means to an end. And they will do whatever they think will maximize profit.

It's interesting that so much of the arguments on things like elite programs, earn/burn, hard product onboard, etc. center on how AA and US operate today. A few of the AA cheerleaders in particular seem convinced the new entity will be a simple continuation of the status quo on AA.

While not everything will change overnight, I'd bet that plenty of things will be different at the end of the day and the new entity will be some blend of both....probably the "worst of both worlds" given the COdbaUA track record In any case, those who state authoritatively that the new AA "won't" or "would be stupid to" do such-and-such, are talking out of their hat.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by lizs
As a lowly silver (appx. 40k/year) I'm most interested to hear what happens to me - all US CP's and AA Plat I'm sure will be just fine.
AA Platinum is mid-tier; 50k miles, and probably will be devalued to 2nd-tier-of-4 soon.

Quite a few lifetime GLD/PLT are hoping that they just bump gold to the 50k tier, PLT to the 75k, and keep the US designation of Silver for the lowest.

Sounds like my tier on American is relatively useless with no upgrades so am wondering if upgrades will be done at my level on the new American or if they will keep that piece from US Airways.
On the contrary; no free upgrades, but you can upgrade domestic flights with 500-mile upgrades ("stickers" in antique parlance, although they've been electronic the whole time I've had them.) You may well get more upgrades as a GLD on American than as a Silver on US, because not every PLT will bother to spend upgrades on some flights (Executive Platinum, AA's top tier, gets them free.)

IMO the lack of unlimited domestic upgrades is a feature, not a bug; while it adds some cost ($150-$180 each way on a transcon) it means that rather than everybody trying for every upgrade, there's a slightly better chance of getting one when you really want it.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by nkedel
AA Platinum is mid-tier; 50k miles, and probably will be devalued to 2nd-tier-of-4 soon.

Quite a few lifetime GLD/PLT are hoping that they just bump gold to the 50k tier, PLT to the 75k, and keep the US designation of Silver for the lowest.
I am sure in this scenario that lifetime GLD/PLTs would get knocked down to Silver/Gold.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ellinj
I am sure in this scenario that lifetime GLD/PLTs would get knocked down to Silver/Gold.
I think that the most likely thing is that they devalue the lifetime status, but keep the names of the first two tiers the same.

Given the language they've used at AA, I don't think "OK, now you're lifetime silver rather than lifetime gold" (or gold/platinum) is likely to happen.

The old wording was quite clear: " Plus, your new Million Miler status entitles you to AAdvantage Gold membership for the lifetime of the AAdvantage Gold program, regardless of your annual elite-qualifying activity."
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Indeed. Neither airline is in business to please elites, have the best [insert thing here], or even to fly airplanes. They're in business to make money - flying passenger planes and the related accoutrements just happens to be the means to an end. And they will do whatever they think will maximize profit.
If that were so, they'd stop flying planes and start being an investment bank. To quote Warren Buffet:

Think airlines. Here a durable competitive advantage has proven
elusive ever since the days of the Wright Brothers. Indeed, if a
farsighted capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk, he would have
done his successors a huge favor by shooting Orville down

As of 1992...the money that had been made since the dawn of
aviation by all of this country's airline companies was zero.
Absolutely zero

Originally Posted by 84fiero
It's interesting that so much of the arguments on things like elite programs, earn/burn, hard product onboard, etc. center on how AA and US operate today. A few of the AA cheerleaders in particular seem convinced the new entity will be a simple continuation of the status quo on AA.

While not everything will change overnight, I'd bet that plenty of things will be different at the end of the day and the new entity will be some blend of both....probably the "worst of both worlds" given the COdbaUA track record In any case, those who state authoritatively that the new AA "won't" or "would be stupid to" do such-and-such, are talking out of their hat.
The new airline probably won't be exactly like either, but, you can make some pretty good guesses by looking at who has been placed in charge of various parts. So far it's not looking especially good for those who like AAdvantage.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Add only that Concierge Key gets access to FlAAgship Checkin and FlAAgship Lounges regardless of class of service.
Not true, FL access domestically only on F JFK, LAX, MIA transcons ( paid, saver or upgraded). CK are eligible for Flagship check-in at JFK, LAX, And ORD (and either MIA or DFW - cant remember.

Last edited by george 3; Jul 29, 2013 at 4:11 pm
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by perseus11
OMG, I had to check my URL quickly. For a moment I thought I was on A-Net !! Really, bashing the US FF program and US Airways is a bit off topic in this Forum since most of us have used it and loved it for years. Further, buying miles provides access to all Star Alliance carriers, not just US Airways.

Parker is Not Horton and I'd bet the New AA will Not be the Old AA, as much as the AA Fan Boys would like it to be.
And hopefully better than the current US.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nkedel
IMO the lack of unlimited domestic upgrades is a feature, not a bug; while it adds some cost ($150-$180 each way on a transcon) it means that rather than everybody trying for every upgrade, there's a slightly better chance of getting one when you really want it.
Not if you're a US Silver; their upgrade percentages can actually be OK. They'll probably get hosed pretty hard in a (mostly) pay-to-play system where they will be fighting against AA/US Golds and Plats for the crumbs the EPs and CPs let drop off of the table.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Not if you're a US Silver; their upgrade percentages can actually be OK. They'll probably get hosed pretty hard in a (mostly) pay-to-play system where they will be fighting against AA/US Golds and Plats for the crumbs the EPs and CPs let drop off of the table.
Given the relative fleet sizes and number of elites out there, they'd be hosed on AA-flyer-heavy routes pretty hard even if (HPdba)USdbaAA gets rid of paid 500 mile upgrades.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by anabolism
If that were so, they'd stop flying planes and start being an investment bank. To quote Warren Buffet:

Think airlines. Here a durable competitive advantage has proven
elusive ever since the days of the Wright Brothers. Indeed, if a
farsighted capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk, he would have
done his successors a huge favor by shooting Orville down

As of 1992...the money that had been made since the dawn of
aviation by all of this country's airline companies was zero.
Absolutely zero

The new airline probably won't be exactly like either, but, you can make some pretty good guesses by looking at who has been placed in charge of various parts. So far it's not looking especially good for those who like AAdvantage.
Yes, of course everyone in the world should only be in the one or two most profitable industries. The point is that none of the airlines are in it for the good of frequent flyers and elites. It's a business, for better or worse.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:42 pm

This may have already been covered but I didn't want to dig through 71 pages to try and find out. If I have a *A award booked for January 1st and us leaves *A before than am I SOL if I need to make a change within my itinerary?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BrettEvan
This may have already been covered but I didn't want to dig through 71 pages to try and find out. If I have a *A award booked for January 1st and us leaves *A before than am I SOL if I need to make a change within my itinerary?
Basically, I think you will have to deal with the operating carriers directly.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrettEvan
If the BMI exit from * alliance is anything to judge by, in a short answer YES.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.