Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by msg75
Observations currently aboard 869 SFO-HKG (full Polaris):

Pajamas asked for early in the flight (pre-dinner service) for myself and mrs_g. Was told none were loaded in SFO. After the service the FA handed me 2 "We're sorry for the inconvenience cards". Mattress pads asked for and handed to us...no offer to unwrap or set up the bed.

Only 2/6 wines listed on the menu matched the actual selections onboard.

Main courses good but still dismayed by replacement of salad dressing choice and croutons with the generic bottle of vinaigrette.

No choice of bread. Pre-plated garlic bread and pretzel roll.

Also miss the cheese cart and cracker selections. Pre-plated 3 cheeses, 6 grapes, and package of 2 crackers.

Still no sundaes but little pre- packaged cups of mango sorbet.

VERY disinterested crew. No introductions, welcome aboards, thank you for your business greetings etc. Nothing proactive or special. Mrs was long finished with her PDB before I even got someone's attention and had to ask for mine. No offer of after-dinner drinks...had none on the cart and sighed when I asked for a Bailey's and coffee.
You just described Polaris service very well. Not having PJs was a miss. Mango sorbet (or mousse) in place of ice cream is temporary. Not getting a more personal greeting seems like a PMUA crew thing, as they never did this quite as ritually as PMCO crews. Otherwise, the rest of the service is SOP. Sad to say it wasn't isolated to your flight.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by cmhua777
You just described Polaris service very well. Not having PJs was a miss. Mango sorbet (or mousse) in place of ice cream is temporary. Not getting a more personal greeting seems like a PMUA crew thing, as they never did this quite as ritually as PMCO crews. Otherwise, the rest of the service is SOP. Sad to say it wasn't isolated to your flight.
It is a little surprising though since this is the only true Polaris flight in the network to date. You would think there would be a focus to get this one "right".
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
LHR-EWR in Polaris First today (3-class 763)...flight attendants overall were great, with one of the FAs in particular always nearby to fill up my wine. I pushed back meal service a couple hours so I could get some sleep to start off, then I had my meal. FAs completely ignored the call service button (repeatedly walked by it when I had it on)...a bit annoying, although I was in 1K and perhaps that were not looking out for it given crew rest right behind me. The FA who served me food seemed to imply that the dessert selection was not as full as in the past. On the flip side, they were stocked in all the wines today - a welcome change from when they are usually missing some. The 2015 Pinot from NZ is okay, definitely not the best vintage (boy, do I miss the 2012s from Central Otago when I visited locally). Would probably say the Chardonnay from CA was the best.

Also a bit interesting that they can't even get branding consistent - the amenity kit (which is made of leather / nicer material) says 'Polaris Global First', while the menu said 'Polaris First Class'...
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
It is a little surprising though since this is the only true Polaris flight in the network to date. You would think there would be a focus to get this one "right".
It will take more than a new plane to change the soft product that PMUA TPAC crews deliver. I could go on and on...
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

Also a bit interesting that they can't even get branding consistent - the amenity kit (which is made of leather / nicer material) says 'Polaris Global First', while the menu said 'Polaris First Class'...
It was mentioned at launch that a last minute decision was made to drop "Global" from the brand. They are using up the kits that were already sourced therefore the exception. Keeping "Global" only for GS, smart decision I'd say.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by msg75
Observations currently aboard 869 SFO-HKG (full Polaris):

Pajamas asked for early in the flight (pre-dinner service) for myself and mrs_g. Was told none were loaded in SFO. After the service the FA handed me 2 "We're sorry for the inconvenience cards". Mattress pads asked for and handed to us...no offer to unwrap or set up the bed.

Only 2/6 wines listed on the menu matched the actual selections onboard.

Main courses good but still dismayed by replacement of salad dressing choice and croutons with the generic bottle of vinaigrette.

No choice of bread. Pre-plated garlic bread and pretzel roll.

Also miss the cheese cart and cracker selections. Pre-plated 3 cheeses, 6 grapes, and package of 2 crackers.

Still no sundaes but little pre- packaged cups of mango sorbet.

VERY disinterested crew. No introductions, welcome aboards, thank you for your business greetings etc. Nothing proactive or special. Mrs was long finished with her PDB before I even got someone's attention and had to ask for mine. No offer of after-dinner drinks...had none on the cart and sighed when I asked for a Bailey's and coffee.
Sounds like a pretty typical experience vis a vis the crew, I'm sorry to say. That being said I have had spectacular crews on UA, but I've come to view that as a welcome surprise so as to avoid disappointment.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
It was mentioned at launch that a last minute decision was made to drop "Global" from the brand. They are using up the kits that were already sourced therefore the exception. Keeping "Global" only for GS, smart decision I'd say.
Now if they can only get rid of the Globe on the tail
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:51 am

I flew UA535 SFO to EWR yesterday. It's PS service on a newly outfitted 777 with the Polaris seats. (@msg75: I noted the plane was the one that arrived as UA869 from HKG, so I was on your plane!) My observations:

I really like the seats! In fact, I would say these are the best business seats I've been on. I like the design, with the table that operates smoothly and has extra space for a laptop and dinner tray at the same time. I like the side table and the easy accessibility of everything like power port and remote handset. It's not the most cushy or largest-size seat, if you compare to carriers like SQ. But for overall user experience, I think this Polaris seat is the best.

The crew on this PS flight was actually quite good. As everyone knows, this is the biggest issue with US carriers - the huge variations in "soft product" due to people. On one flight you get superb service and on the next one it's miserable.

I think this is the only Polaris-outfitted PS flight from SFO to EWR. If you happen to be planning travel on that route and you want to experience the new seats, UA535 is your flight!

Oh, and the captain had Ch. 9 turned on! :-)
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Just flew SFO<->SYD in "Polaris" and SYD<->AKL on ANZ. What a contrast!

The ANZ seats are weird, facing the aisle diagonally so that nobody has a window view and you feel really exposed. They're sill better than the old united coffins, but inferior to the new Polaris seats.

But the difference in service was incredible. Here's a typical interaction: we're boarding and my son is stowing his bag and the FA comes by and brusquely demands: "I need you to move in!" NOT "could you please step in", "could I get by please" or anything even remotely courteous. It was like that throughout: no greeting when we boarded, just a gruff shrug. No "bon appetit" when serving, just hold the tray out about six inches above your head so you have to reach up and get it like some mendicant orphan.

By contrast the ANZ FAs were incredibly friendly and solicitous. There were two Argentine women sitting behind me and both the FAs in the front cabin spoke perfect Spanish with them. One also spoke Maori and the other conversed with me in German. He actually knew the menu and wines on it. When they served, they actually put your meal on your tray table, instead of making you reach. When they cleared, they actually picked the tray up instead of waving at you to hand it to them. Incredible. Imagine ever experiencing that on United.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmhua777
Otherwise, the rest of the service is SOP. Sad to say it wasn't isolated to your flight.
I disagree with that. IME, a bad/lazy crew is the exception, especially on SFO-HKG. Most of my UA crew experiences have been quite good over the past two years, especially on long haul.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Just flew SFO<->SYD in "Polaris" and SYD<->AKL on ANZ. What a contrast!

The ANZ seats are weird, facing the aisle diagonally so that nobody has a window view and you feel really exposed. They're sill better than the old united coffins, but inferior to the new Polaris seats.

But the difference in service was incredible. Here's a typical interaction: we're boarding and my son is stowing his bag and the FA comes by and brusquely demands: "I need you to move in!" NOT "could you please step in", "could I get by please" or anything even remotely courteous. It was like that throughout: no greeting when we boarded, just a gruff shrug. No "bon appetit" when serving, just hold the tray out about six inches above your head so you have to reach up and get it like some mendicant orphan.

By contrast the ANZ FAs were incredibly friendly and solicitous. There were two Argentine women sitting behind me and both the FAs in the front cabin spoke perfect Spanish with them. One also spoke Maori and the other conversed with me in German. He actually knew the menu and wines on it. When they served, they actually put your meal on your tray table, instead of making you reach. When they cleared, they actually picked the tray up instead of waving at you to hand it to them. Incredible. Imagine ever experiencing that on United.
I have experienced this level of on United, on just about every J trip I have had in the last 4 years, both pre-Polaris and now with Polaris. I don't think I've every had to reach for a tray, and ever before Polaris have had FAs who spoke a bit about the wines rather than just "red or white." I have had gracious, warm, welcoming service much of the time, somewhat bumbling or perfunctory but not outwardly hostile/rude service a few times, and truly spectacular service two or three times (about 70/20/10 split). I've never been snarled or barked at.

While there may some truly nefarious or toxic FAs out there, I don't know that I've ever seen them in the last 4 years of being 1K, and about a 3-4 years stretch in the 2000s as Plat/1K. These were mostly DC or EWR-based long-hauls, TPAC, TATL, and to the ME when DBX was a nonstop. Sometimes I feel like an outlier when I read these threads, because I just am not running into the truly bad FAs.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I disagree with that. IME, a bad/lazy crew is the exception, especially on SFO-HKG. Most of my UA crew experiences have been quite good over the past two years, especially on long haul.
Completely agree with Kacee. Maybe I've just been lucky, but with 150K BIS/ year almost all international premium cabin the last several years it is by far the exception.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Completely agree with Kacee. Maybe I've just been lucky, but with 150K BIS/ year almost all international premium cabin the last several years it is by far the exception.
I've flown 200K BIS for each of the last 3 years and it has been about:

60% as I described above (lame and mediocre, but not terrible)

20% actually terrible (as in: trays slammed down; meals whisked away while I was still eating; overt rudeness from the FAs)

20% good (but still nowhere close to ANZ, LHR, OS, LHX, SIN, CK, EK, ETD, TRK -- and a few others).
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: united premier exec, hhonors diamond, priority club platinum elite
Have two Polaris trips coming up, SFO-SYD 787 and EWR-ATH 767, it will be interesting comparing the two, neither of which have Polaris seats.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by ghostrider
Have two Polaris trips coming up, SFO-SYD 787 and EWR-ATH 767, it will be interesting comparing the two, neither of which have Polaris seats.
I have found the Polaris service to be quite consistent, regardless of plane type, route, or FA base. I haven't experienced the Polaris seats yet, but the service has been stellar, and the soft product is quite nice!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.