Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For those wanting a extra seat for
  • Person of Size
  • Extra space to be less cramped
  • Space for large musical instrument / artwork
UA has a process call "EXTRASEAT" (A report of the use of "EXST" also)

It is booked like an additional passenger on your PNR but when you check in and when BP is scanned at the gate - both you and the "EXTRASEAT" are properly handled. Requires an agent to book and can not be done online. (This may have changed)
Originally Posted by smitopher
On the United web site , I searched for a trip, specifying 2 passengers.
Booked the best itinerary.
The second passengers first name was " EXTRASEAT "
Paid with a CC.
This concept is valid for either paid or award tickets.

Since the "EXTRASEAT" and you are on the same PNR, they both need to be of the same type -- no mixing award and paid. Likewise the same cabin.

You will get the RDMs (no elite bonus) for the "EXTRASEAT" but no extra PQMs & PQD PQPs?
If you buy a second seat on United or United Express®, you are eligible to earn award miles equal to the number of base miles for the flight. Members are not entitled to Premier® qualifying earnings and associated Premier benefits on the extra ticket purchased.
You will also get the additional standard baggage allowance for the EXTRASEAT but no extra carryon.
Can be upgraded per Upgraded my extra seat.

Other methods one might think of but don't work --
  • Book and assign the desired seat but be a "no show" -- No show ticket will be canceled and seat is likely to be assigned to another passenger
  • Book and assign the desired seat and try to scan both BPs -- generally, agents will not allow this, it is against UA policy.

Caution: There is a chance a GA or FA will try to fill the empty seat with a standby passenger. Best to inform the GA of the "EXTRASEAT" prior to boarding.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75

Hey FT,

Quick question, I read on .bomb you can book extra seat if you are not comfortable in a single seat. If I go for it, can I get miles on the empty seat as well? Has anyone tried it? I'm suspecting the answer is no, otherwise people would MR a lot less...

Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2013, 2:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
EXTRASEAT gets RDMs but not PQMs
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Extra Seat, Extra Miles? Seems So...

I am surprised there were no comments on the WSL article from Wednesday. Are y'all too busy on here during your free time?

Story talks about a cellist with an expensive instrument who had a seperate account on Delta. Delta took away 500K of miles in both accounts saying T&C blah, blah...and that "an object doesn't have a loyalty experience," even though he pays TWO full fare tickets. To Delta's defense, he was warned and he still did it.

United OTOH will give Smith, Mr. John the extra miles in his MP account for Extra Seat Smith, Mr. John. This is a first for me since I have about 20+ A class extra seats I paid for my pooch over the past 3 years. UA never allowed me to collect additional miles, I was told by GS line a non-human couldn't have a MP account and did not share with me I could have the additional miles (and I didn't ask because never thought of it). Granted I haven't flown the new UA with my pooch, so is this something after merger?
Mr. Harrell collects miles for his cello on United. But after Delta cut him off, Cello Harrell stopped collecting miles on American as a precaution against another stern punishment.
Additional mindless info: Cellos have to travel in a window seat... Also it talks about how the TSA broke the neck and bow of his instrument (made in 1710) when he came in from Germany into Dulles (flying UA perhaps?)

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Mar 15, 2013 at 11:39 pm
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
United OTOH will give Smith, Mr. John the extra miles in his MP account for Extra Seat Smith, Mr. John. This is a first for me since I have about 20+ A class extra seats I paid for my pooch over the past 3 years. UA never allowed me to collect additional miles, I was told by GS line a non-human couldn't have a MP account and did not share with me I could have the additional miles (and I didn't ask because never thought of it). Granted I haven't flown the new UA with my pooch, so is this something after merger?
This has been discussed here multiple times in the past.

You can get RDM for the 2nd ticket, but no PQM, and no bonus miles (at least for status bonus, not sure about COS bonus). It's not automatic - you need to manually request it post-flight.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Miles for musical instrument, a new benchmark for First world problems.....
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
I am surprised there were no comments on the WSL article from Wednesday. Are y'all too busy on here during your free time?
We read about it in November on the cellist's blog, http://www.lynnharrell.com/no-miles-for-you/ , and I think we discussed it in the Delta forum.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Earning extra miles when you buy an extra seat?

There was a recent article in the press about a musician flying with his cello sitting next to him. The article stated that on UA, you earned miles for both seats when you buy two, one occupied by you, and the other occupied by your cello (or your size). The article also said that you don't earn the second seat miles on AA and DL.

This benefit would move me to fly UA for the first time on my four international flights per year that I have been flying for the the last 15 years. If you have personal knowledge of UA policy and/or practice, please reply. If you are guessing or just being logical, please don't reply:
Is it true that when one person flies on UA with two paid seats, that the person earns the redeemable miles for both seats?

Do the miles count toward million miler status?

If you earn the miles, do you also earn the status accumulation of the two flight credits?

If I fly beyond UA on LH or TK in two seats, crediting the miles to UA, will I still get the benefit?

Last edited by 925; Mar 16, 2013 at 11:48 am
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
From http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-seems-so.html :
Originally Posted by docbert
This has been discussed here multiple times in the past.

You can get RDM for the 2nd ticket, but no PQM, and no bonus miles (at least for status bonus, not sure about COS bonus). It's not automatic - you need to manually request it post-flight.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:59 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The policy was that you got credit after the fact by sending the boarding passes to MileagePlus. You did not get EQMs and I believe that you did not get the elite bonus either.

Some people open accounts for their instruments, but I think that isn't allowed. Just email MileagePlus.

Last edited by Ari; Mar 16, 2013 at 12:09 pm
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:12 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it isn't new. (I just posted in another thread what the policy was, but I guess it still is). LASTNAME/EXTRASEAT gets miles in Mr/Ms Lastname's account, but no PQMs or Premier Bonus. I believe COS bonus does apply.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 925
... Is it true that when one person flies on UA with two paid seats, that the person earns the redeemable miles for both seats? ....
RDMs only (as referenced by others)

Originally Posted by 925
...Do the miles count toward million miler status? ....
no

Originally Posted by 925
...If you earn the miles, do you also earn the status accumulation of the two flight credits? ....
no

Originally Posted by 925
...If I fly beyond UA on LH or TK in two seats, crediting the miles to UA, will I still get the benefit?
doubtful -- this is a UA policy (search "EXTRASEAT")
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:00 pm

Two tickets, same flight, one coach, one first

Hello there Flyertalk people, I'm hoping you might be able to help me with something.

I flew LH from FRA to GIG two days ago in coach, on a standard low-fare revenue ticket. It wasn't the most comfortable experience so I'm trying to figure out how to fly business or first on the way home.

I was able to book a first class seat on the way back using a one-way United aware without any problems, but I'm aware that things can get dicey when the same person has two reservations for the same flight.

Is it possible for me to check in for both reservations and then board with both boarding cards, so that a) I accure the miles on my original coach class ticket, and b) get to sit in the first class seat I just booked using miles?

Thanks in advance!

Brad

P.S. Sorry in advance if I didn't post this in the right place.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Brad! You posted this in the right place.

The most likely outcome is that United will catch the duplicate reservation (especially if your Mileage Plus number is on both records), and force you to cancel one of your reservations.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
The only way to pull this off (and even a strong chance of it not working) would be to not use your FF# on the revenue ticket and ask for credit after flying. If the final manifest prints after they take out no-shows you're toast though.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:17 pm

Thanks for the replies!

One detail that may or may not be relevant: I purchased the coach ticket directly from LH and the award ticket from UA. Not sure if my mileage number went through to LH on the award itinerary.

Brad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.