Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For those wanting a extra seat for
  • Person of Size
  • Extra space to be less cramped
  • Space for large musical instrument / artwork
UA has a process call "EXTRASEAT" (A report of the use of "EXST" also)

It is booked like an additional passenger on your PNR but when you check in and when BP is scanned at the gate - both you and the "EXTRASEAT" are properly handled. Requires an agent to book and can not be done online. (This may have changed)
Originally Posted by smitopher
On the United web site , I searched for a trip, specifying 2 passengers.
Booked the best itinerary.
The second passengers first name was " EXTRASEAT "
Paid with a CC.
This concept is valid for either paid or award tickets.

Since the "EXTRASEAT" and you are on the same PNR, they both need to be of the same type -- no mixing award and paid. Likewise the same cabin.

You will get the RDMs (no elite bonus) for the "EXTRASEAT" but no extra PQMs & PQD PQPs?
If you buy a second seat on United or United Express®, you are eligible to earn award miles equal to the number of base miles for the flight. Members are not entitled to Premier® qualifying earnings and associated Premier benefits on the extra ticket purchased.
You will also get the additional standard baggage allowance for the EXTRASEAT but no extra carryon.
Can be upgraded per Upgraded my extra seat.

Other methods one might think of but don't work --
  • Book and assign the desired seat but be a "no show" -- No show ticket will be canceled and seat is likely to be assigned to another passenger
  • Book and assign the desired seat and try to scan both BPs -- generally, agents will not allow this, it is against UA policy.

Caution: There is a chance a GA or FA will try to fill the empty seat with a standby passenger. Best to inform the GA of the "EXTRASEAT" prior to boarding.

Print Wikipost

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by gaditano78
Thanks for the replies!

One detail that may or may not be relevant: I purchased the coach ticket directly from LH and the award ticket from UA. Not sure if my mileage number went through to LH on the award itinerary.

Brad
I would think it did because you are supposed to get *a benefits
Old May 26, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: Independent
United's Policy booking Two Seats

If I need to book two coach class seats (size issue), what is United's current policy regarding RDM/EQM? With all the changes lately in how points are accumulated I thought I should ask.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
book two seats on the same flight for same passenger possible?

I'm in a situation where i purchased a paid fare on a flight that may or may not be reimbursable by my employer. It will be a few days before they will determine this so in the meantime I would like to book the same itinerary using award miles so i can secure a saver award on the return leg. The travel is towards the end of the month and I will either end up cancelling my award fare or the paid flight.

Would doing this violate any terms or create any problems or confusion at boarding time? As far as i know, my miles will be refunded if i cancel the award and I am willing to eat the cost of the cancelled paid flight, no problem.

Please help!

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by Evident
I'm in a situation where i purchased a paid fare on a flight that may or may not be reimbursable by my employer. It will be a few days before they will determine this so in the meantime I would like to book the same itinerary using award miles so i can secure a saver award on the return leg. The travel is towards the end of the month and I will either end up cancelling my award fare or the paid flight.

Would doing this violate any terms or create any problems or confusion at boarding time? As far as i know, my miles will be refunded if i cancel the award and I am willing to eat the cost of the cancelled paid flight, no problem.

Please help!

Thanks!
If you book the mileage seat under your name, don't put your FF number. This way it will seem that you could be traveling with your cousin, son, etc. Don't forget to cancel one or the other before flight time.

I think in this case it is fine because you are not trying to abuse the system by booking two seats. But to be on the safe side, the moment you find out, cancel one of the tickets.

Thoughts anyone?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Booking three award seats for 2 pax

Currently planning award travel for two to Europe next summer and premium cabins are non-existant for the dates and destinations wanted. So, to make the trip tolerable, I'm thinking of booking an extra seat for me so we can book a row of three, for the two of us. First, is this allowed for award travel? Second, are there downsides, besides the miles used, I need to be aware of?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JamesHNL
Currently planning award travel for two to Europe next summer and premium cabins are non-existant for the dates and destinations wanted. So, to make the trip tolerable, I'm thinking of booking an extra seat for me so we can book a row of three, for the two of us. First, is this allowed for award travel? Second, are there downsides, besides the miles used, I need to be aware of?
while there is a method for this ("EXTRASEAT") for paid trips, there is no equivalent for award tickets that I am aware of. Worth calling and asking about the equivalent concept.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
what about persons of "size"?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
while there is a method for this ("EXTRASEAT") for paid trips, there is no equivalent for award tickets that I am aware of. Worth calling and asking about the equivalent concept.
There IS the same method available for award tix. Simply call and talk to a competent agent. It may take more than one try.

Dave
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:37 am

Can You Book an Extra E+ Award Seat?

Options for saver award tickets SYD to LAX or SFO in March 2015 are nonexistent in Biz or F class availability on United metal. Upgrading with miles is also looking grim.

Asiana or Air China are other options via ICN or PEK - although that adds another 10-20 hours to the trip even though Biz class is available - maybe.

So backup plan - can I book 3 saver award E+ seats for the two of us and make sure they keep the seats together?

We are both Star Gold...
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ccrain
..... So backup plan - can I book 3 saver award E+ seats for the two of us and make sure they keep the seats together?
This is a definitive option with cash tickets, the process is called "EXTRASEAT"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ats-2-pax.html reports you can do this for award seats with an experienced agent
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Options for saver award tickets SYD to LAX or SFO in March 2015 are nonexistent in Biz or F class availability on United metal. Upgrading with miles is also looking grim.

Asiana or Air China are other options via ICN or PEK - although that adds another 10-20 hours to the trip even though Biz class is available - maybe.

So backup plan - can I book 3 saver award E+ seats for the two of us and make sure they keep the seats together?

We are both Star Gold...
Assume you mean that one ticket will be for a named traveler other than the two of you, and who will not board so that you can have an empty middle seat between you? (If you book two seats for the same person on the same flights, the UA computer will likely cancel both bookings at some point down the road) Gold's are allowed +1 at booking for E+, so you would have to book two itineraries to get all 3 in E+, and that increases your chances that the seats will get separated in IRROPS or advance equipment swap.
While that strategy may work up until boarding (providing no last minute or equipment swap issues), they will delete that ticket when they close the flight seeing that the traveler has not boarded (so it would be best for you to cancel it at the last minute (and pay the fee to reinstate the miles), unless you just want to lose the miles permanently). IF the flight load is low, you might get to keep the seat empty, if heavy they may well assign it to another person who wants E+ just before they close the door... so you could have spent those miles (or the redeposit fee) for nothing in the end. It's a crap shoot. Don't know if they will allow you to book the empty saver mileage seat as an EXTRA SEAT that won't get cancelled when no one boards, it is worth asking...
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
We are both Star Gold...
Originally Posted by azzurro
Gold's are allowed +1 at booking for E+
*G gets zero seats in E+.

Originally Posted by azzurro
so you would have to book two itineraries to get all 3 in E+, and that increases your chances that the seats will get separated in IRROPS or advance equipment swap.
He can put all 3 seats on the same PNR and pay for E+ for all 3.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Ah my bad, I read UA Gold. Thanks for catching *G...

Paying for E+ and then cancelling the unused mileage ticket 12 minutes prior to takeoff then creates one additional step to request the E+ refund on the cancelled ticket, unless EXTRASEAT is allowed to stand and the ticket is considered used.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is a definitive option with cash tickets, the process is called "EXTRASEAT"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ats-2-pax.html reports you can do this for award seats with an experienced agent
THIS is correct.

Dave
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I have done this as recently June 2013 on an international flight. Two separate PNRs in my case. My award seat plus SEAT/EXSTMS and my traveling companion had an award seat. We are both 1Ks.

I chose my aisle and SEAT/EXSTMS middle and he chose the window seat. The SEAT/EXSTMS had to be booked over the phone. I booked my award seat first and added the extra seat later.

If all of the miles are coming out of one account, you could do it in one PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.