Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For those wanting a extra seat for
  • Person of Size
  • Extra space to be less cramped
  • Space for large musical instrument / artwork
UA has a process call "EXTRASEAT" (A report of the use of "EXST" also)

It is booked like an additional passenger on your PNR but when you check in and when BP is scanned at the gate - both you and the "EXTRASEAT" are properly handled. Requires an agent to book and can not be done online. (This may have changed)
Originally Posted by smitopher
On the United web site , I searched for a trip, specifying 2 passengers.
Booked the best itinerary.
The second passengers first name was " EXTRASEAT "
Paid with a CC.
This concept is valid for either paid or award tickets.

Since the "EXTRASEAT" and you are on the same PNR, they both need to be of the same type -- no mixing award and paid. Likewise the same cabin.

You will get the RDMs (no elite bonus) for the "EXTRASEAT" but no extra PQMs & PQD PQPs?
If you buy a second seat on United or United Express®, you are eligible to earn award miles equal to the number of base miles for the flight. Members are not entitled to Premier® qualifying earnings and associated Premier benefits on the extra ticket purchased.
You will also get the additional standard baggage allowance for the EXTRASEAT but no extra carryon.
Can be upgraded per Upgraded my extra seat.

Other methods one might think of but don't work --
  • Book and assign the desired seat but be a "no show" -- No show ticket will be canceled and seat is likely to be assigned to another passenger
  • Book and assign the desired seat and try to scan both BPs -- generally, agents will not allow this, it is against UA policy.

Caution: There is a chance a GA or FA will try to fill the empty seat with a standby passenger. Best to inform the GA of the "EXTRASEAT" prior to boarding.

Print Wikipost

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2023, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or just put your bags on the seat.
“Protecting” this seat is a mostly artificial problem.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Or just put your bags on the seat.
And then have to deal with the FAs telling you to stow it.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
“Protecting” this seat is a mostly artificial problem.
No, a people problem.

David
bocastephen likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2023 at 6:52 pm Reason: repaired post
Old Jul 25, 2023, 9:36 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Can you buy XTRASEAT in a domestic F cabin to have an empty seat next to you?
Old Jul 25, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wpcoe
Can you buy XTRASEAT in a domestic F cabin to have an empty seat next to you?
Yes. I have done that before in domestic F. No problems.
wpcoe likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like United are making it easier to book extraseat:
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
I've purchased an EXTRASEAT many times on domestic flights, but I've never tried it on an international flight. How would you check in the EXTRASEAT passenger without a passport?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Using plus points when booking an extra seat....

Before covid and now travelling with a +1, I usually would buy my ticket in F so never had to worry. F fares have gotten so expensive for the routes I fly that my fiance and I have been playing PP roulette and losing more often than we win.... We are both GS, by the way and still lose the game Today we had exit row with an empty seat which, in all honesty, was not bad at all.

So, my question is, if I want to book an extra seat as a bit of insurance to have extra room in Y, and also still put PP on a reservation for the two of us, how would that work? I assume me, the extra seat and my fiance would all be one PNR.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by avi8tir
Before covid and now travelling with a +1, I usually would buy my ticket in F so never had to worry. F fares have gotten so expensive for the routes I fly that my fiance and I have been playing PP roulette and losing more often than we win.... We are both GS, by the way and still lose the game Today we had exit row with an empty seat which, in all honesty, was not bad at all.

So, my question is, if I want to book an extra seat as a bit of insurance to have extra room in Y, and also still put PP on a reservation for the two of us, how would that work? I assume me, the extra seat and my fiance would all be one PNR.
Book the extra seat on a separate PNR or book it all as one and have them divide it off, then apply the PlusPoints request.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.