Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For those wanting a extra seat for
  • Person of Size
  • Extra space to be less cramped
  • Space for large musical instrument / artwork
UA has a process call "EXTRASEAT" (A report of the use of "EXST" also)

It is booked like an additional passenger on your PNR but when you check in and when BP is scanned at the gate - both you and the "EXTRASEAT" are properly handled. Requires an agent to book and can not be done online. (This may have changed)
Originally Posted by smitopher
On the United web site , I searched for a trip, specifying 2 passengers.
Booked the best itinerary.
The second passengers first name was " EXTRASEAT "
Paid with a CC.
This concept is valid for either paid or award tickets.

Since the "EXTRASEAT" and you are on the same PNR, they both need to be of the same type -- no mixing award and paid. Likewise the same cabin.

You will get the RDMs (no elite bonus) for the "EXTRASEAT" but no extra PQMs & PQD PQPs?
If you buy a second seat on United or United Express®, you are eligible to earn award miles equal to the number of base miles for the flight. Members are not entitled to Premier® qualifying earnings and associated Premier benefits on the extra ticket purchased.
You will also get the additional standard baggage allowance for the EXTRASEAT but no extra carryon.
Can be upgraded per Upgraded my extra seat.

Other methods one might think of but don't work --
  • Book and assign the desired seat but be a "no show" -- No show ticket will be canceled and seat is likely to be assigned to another passenger
  • Book and assign the desired seat and try to scan both BPs -- generally, agents will not allow this, it is against UA policy.

Caution: There is a chance a GA or FA will try to fill the empty seat with a standby passenger. Best to inform the GA of the "EXTRASEAT" prior to boarding.

Print Wikipost

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by TomMM
This is will be a transatlantic flight on a 767 and I am planning on getting seats on one of the dual seats side.
Ah, my transatlantic was three-seat side, so didn't have this option. That's perfect.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Getting the EXTRASEAT is the easy part - keeping poachers out of it, especially if it's a highly desirable location, will be the challenge. Window/middle combination is best, you can sit in the middle the physically block people from poaching the window, then spread out after take-off to take both seats. Unfortunately, I wish I could poo-poo the risk, but the very first time I booked one of these, I had to slide over and block a poacher who was seated in the very back of the cabin, but loudly declared "I'm just gonna sit right here!" - no help from the FAs, but the GA who knew I had the extra seat told her to get to the back and sit down in her assigned seat.
Didn't have that problem when we've done it...but then again, I was always flying with my wife when we booked an extra seat, so the "free seat" was the middle. Not as easy to poach.

In this case, the OP would point out indignantly that the poacher was seated in the cat's seat, which was reserved and paid for. (Though better to avoid the fight by sitting in the aisle initially.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 11:46 am

I have a couple of questions about booking an extra seat. My wife and I are going ORD-LAS. We would book a third seat for the extra space.

* Can this be done on the website now or do I have to call?
* Can I use miles to Upgrade only our two passenger seats? The Upgrades are currently Waitlisted.
* If the Upgrades clear can I cancel just one leg of the extra seat? (Not knowing if the return Upgrade will clear?)
Old Nov 12, 2022, 12:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milemonkey
Can this be done on the website now or do I have to call? ...
either is possible, details in the thread wiki

In the past the same PNR was required, but recently folks have been ability to book separately
Old Nov 12, 2022, 5:38 pm

* If the Upgrades clear can I cancel just one leg of the extra seat? (Not knowing if the return Upgrade will clear?)
Yes, but it will be subject to a voluntary change like any other ticket. An extra seat is effectively another ticket with it's own fare and fare rules. Any changes would have to follow how the fare rules dictate it should be handled. Which if you're cancelling the outbound before any travel began on the ticket, would mean repricing the return into a valid one way fare at the prices effective on the day-of-change.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 6:14 pm

So I booked three seats for the Outbound only as F was not a bad price on the Return.

On the Outbound, I booked the Extraseat as the First Name with my name as the last name. I also used my birthdate for this seat. It would not let me put in my Mileage Plus number so I left it blank.

Here's my question - When I check-in and board the flight do I give the Gate Agent the Extra Seat Boarding pass? Do I need to get this pre-approved before boarding?

Also, I thought I get miles for this ticket. How can I do that when I could not enter my MP number?

Thanks all. This is a new process for me and the Wiki does not provide all the info.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 8:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Here's my question - When I check-in and board the flight do I give the Gate Agent the Extra Seat Boarding pass? ...
Yes, otherwise it will be a no show
....Do I need to get this pre-approved before boarding? ...
Do not understand the question.

EXTRASEAT is just another ticket.

...., I thought I get miles for this ticket. How can I do that when I could not enter my MP number? ....
Did you book as an extra ticker or second seat on the same PNR?
Old Nov 12, 2022, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So I booked three seats for the Outbound only as F was not a bad price on the Return.

On the Outbound, I booked the Extraseat as the First Name with my name as the last name. I also used my birthdate for this seat. It would not let me put in my Mileage Plus number so I left it blank.

Here's my question - When I check-in and board the flight do I give the Gate Agent the Extra Seat Boarding pass? Do I need to get this pre-approved before boarding?

Also, I thought I get miles for this ticket. How can I do that when I could not enter my MP number?

Thanks all. This is a new process for me and the Wiki does not provide all the info.
You will need to check-in both, otherwise your 'extraseat' will no-show and the seat will be re-assigned. When you board, you'll scan your personal boarding pass, then scan your extraseat boarding pass, and tell the GA that is the extra seat that you paid for.

When on board, position yourself to block anyone from taking it until you're in the air, that usually means sitting in the aisle (if your ES is a middle) or the middle (if your ES is a middle and you're in the window). Don't allow a FA to reseat anyone into your seat, explain you bought an extra seat, and have a valid boarding pass for it.
SPN Lifer, chavala and cuthroat like this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
You will need to check-in both, otherwise your 'extraseat' will no-show and the seat will be re-assigned. When you board, you'll scan your personal boarding pass, then scan your extraseat boarding pass, and tell the GA that is the extra seat that you paid for.
"This is me." Beep.
"And this is me." Beep

When on board, position yourself to block anyone from taking it until you're in the air, that usually means sitting in the aisle (if your ES is a middle) or the middle (if your ES is a middle and you're in the window). Don't allow a FA to reseat anyone into your seat, explain you bought an extra seat, and have a valid boarding pass for it.
"That's still me - see"

David
Old Nov 13, 2022, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, otherwise it will be a no show
Do not understand the question.

EXTRASEAT is just another ticket.

Did you book as an extra ticker or second seat on the same PNR?
Ha! Now I don't understand your question. I booked myself, my wife and ExtraSeat all on same PNR. Should I have booked ExtraSeat separately?
Old Nov 13, 2022, 8:17 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Do you get an extra food and beverage item for the extra seat?
chavala likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 8:37 am

Ha! Now I don't understand your question. I booked myself, my wife and ExtraSeat all on same PNR. Should I have booked ExtraSeat separately?
No. It doesn't matter. If you know you're going to need it at the time of booking, just make it as part of the reservation. If you need it after the fact, it can be made in a separate PNR.

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Yes, if you ask them for it when they're providing service.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Yes, if you ask them for it when they're providing service.
"One for me. And one for me."

David
Old Apr 22, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Just bought an economy seat with miles from Nashville to Australia. The jet is a Dreamliner 787-9. I picked one of the seats at the very back where there are only two seats. Question. Can I buy the 2nd one next to me? It's not until March. The row is 56. And I am NOT happy with Economy but for 80k miles and $115 . . . . And I guess I have to do it via phone? How do I add a 2nd seat when I have already bought the first? THANKS!

Old Apr 22, 2023, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Just bought an economy seat with miles from Nashville to Australia. The jet is a Dreamliner 787-9. I picked one of the seats at the very back where there are only two seats. Question. Can I buy the 2nd one next to me? It's not until March. The row is 56. And I am NOT happy with Economy but for 80k miles and $115 . . . . And I guess I have to do it via phone? How do I add a 2nd seat when I have already bought the first? THANKS!

call and have them book it or through united .com book as LASTNAME/EXSTFIRSTNAME

will have to be a separarte resevation since you already tixketed yours
Old Apr 22, 2023, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
call and have them book it or through united .com book as LASTNAME/EXSTFIRSTNAME

will have to be a separarte resevation since you already tixketed yours
And you'll have to defend it against UA and others trying to claim the seat as well as potentially being called for an impossible double routing.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.