Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For those wanting a extra seat for
  • Person of Size
  • Extra space to be less cramped
  • Space for large musical instrument / artwork
UA has a process call "EXTRASEAT" (A report of the use of "EXST" also)

It is booked like an additional passenger on your PNR but when you check in and when BP is scanned at the gate - both you and the "EXTRASEAT" are properly handled. Requires an agent to book and can not be done online. (This may have changed)
Originally Posted by smitopher
On the United web site , I searched for a trip, specifying 2 passengers.
Booked the best itinerary.
The second passengers first name was " EXTRASEAT "
Paid with a CC.
This concept is valid for either paid or award tickets.

Since the "EXTRASEAT" and you are on the same PNR, they both need to be of the same type -- no mixing award and paid. Likewise the same cabin.

You will get the RDMs (no elite bonus) for the "EXTRASEAT" but no extra PQMs & PQD PQPs?
If you buy a second seat on United or United Express®, you are eligible to earn award miles equal to the number of base miles for the flight. Members are not entitled to Premier® qualifying earnings and associated Premier benefits on the extra ticket purchased.
You will also get the additional standard baggage allowance for the EXTRASEAT but no extra carryon.
Can be upgraded per Upgraded my extra seat.

Other methods one might think of but don't work --
  • Book and assign the desired seat but be a "no show" -- No show ticket will be canceled and seat is likely to be assigned to another passenger
  • Book and assign the desired seat and try to scan both BPs -- generally, agents will not allow this, it is against UA policy.

Caution: There is a chance a GA or FA will try to fill the empty seat with a standby passenger. Best to inform the GA of the "EXTRASEAT" prior to boarding.

Print Wikipost

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2023, 4:16 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Is it not allowed to book an extra seat??? Would it be easier to cancel this booking and rebook me and Mr. ExtraSeat??
Old Apr 22, 2023, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Is it not allowed to book an extra seat??? Would it be easier to cancel this booking and rebook me and Mr. ExtraSeat??
You are allowed to book an extra seat.

Likely.easier to cancel and re-book both you and the extra seat. As Lux Flyer recommends, give UA a call to do so.

David
Old Apr 22, 2023, 5:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
And you'll have to defend it against UA and others trying to claim the seat as well as potentially being called for an impossible double routing. ...
Have never seen that reported if booked as EXTRASEAT, do you have an example?
Old Apr 22, 2023, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Have never seen that reported if booked as EXTRASEAT, do you have an example?
I have not. I'm just concerned given recent reports as to how aggressive UA's software has been in cancelling bookings with separate PNRs but same MR numbers, routings, etc. Would think that having both seats booked on one PNR will obviate that.

David
Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
I just noticed a new feature on united.com to select a box if a second seat being purchased is actually an extra seat:

When I received the eTicket, the name for the extra seat took the format LAST/EXSTFIRST.
nnn, uanj and MysteryTour like this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Howard
I just noticed a new feature on united.com to select a box if a second seat being purchased is actually an extra seat:

When I received the eTicket, the name for the extra seat took the format LAST/EXSTFIRST.
How did you trigger this?
AlohafromKOA likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How did you trigger this?
When selecting the passenger's name/profile, the "This is an extra seat" checkbox appears near the top. It's surprisingly prominent for something, booking extra seats, that I thought was rare. (BTW, I often book extra seats and love it! When traveling with kids with a number of passengers that isn't divisible by 3, it's nice to have the full row to ourselves. Never had a problem on any United flight or with any gate agents or FAs.)
SPN Lifer, nnn, cuthroat and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:10 pm

My wife and I are travelling with a child under 2 but plan to buy an extra comfort seat for me, as opposed to a seat in her name. Is this possible?

If so, can I use miles to buy the comfort seat if my ticket is a revenue ticket?

If so, and if we are upgraded (academic), can I get the miles for the comfort seat refunded?

If kid is younger than 2, can you book a ticket in kid's name? or does it have to be a done this way (as an extra seat).
m

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2023 at 3:24 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by goatee87
My wife and I are travelling with a child under 2 but plan to buy an extra comfort seat for me, as opposed to a seat in her name. Is this possible? ...
The under 2 lapchild can use the "extra seat" in an approved seat carrier. The lapchild will still require a lapchild ticket (unless this is purely domestic).

There is no price advantage purchasing an "extraseat" vs purchasing a named passenger ticket.

If so, can I use miles to buy the comfort seat if my ticket is a revenue ticket? ...
yes, if award inventory exists.

If kid is younger than 2, can you book a ticket in kid's name? .
yes

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2023 at 3:24 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
If you sign up for and use a MileagePlus™ account, you can give your child an early start on lifetime mileage accrual.
Xyzzy, DJ_Iceman and uanj like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 2:14 am

Interesting, thanks for the tip!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 6:28 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DELee
And you'll have to defend it against UA and others trying to claim the seat as well as potentially being called for an impossible double routing.

David
Really?

👀

Old Jul 13, 2023, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Really?

👀

Well, based on jjj8 's post, it appears that UA's website accommodates booking the extra seat more easily now, so my concerns about being called for an impossible double routing may be moot - especially if the extra seat is booked with the full itinerary on the same PNR.

David
Old Jul 13, 2023, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Really?

👀

Yes, really. I had it happen to me. There were a few reports of this behavior before I flew my flight, so I was already anxious about getting into a conflict especially if the flight was full. The other conflicts seemed to be more about gate agents or flight attendants trying to fill the ExtraSeat with a standby, but conflicts with other passengers are possible. I had the window, and the middle was my extra seat. When I was boarding, I scanned two boarding passes, and confirmed with the gate agent what I was doing and there was no issue. Boarding is underway and as the hoi polloi are walking by, this girl comes to my row and says "I'm going to sit here" and starts to slide across the lady in the aisle and into my middle seat - I immediately slid over to physically block her and said the seat is taken. Luckily in my case, that same gate agent was in the aisle, so when the girl protested, she came over, took her boarding pass to check it, then loudly told her "go to the back and sit down in your assigned seat!" - and that was the end of it.

Less of a risk if you do aisle-middle because you can block anyone from sitting, but if you're in the window, be prepared to either wait in the middle until the door closes, or slide across quickly.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Less of a risk if you do aisle-middle because you can block anyone from sitting, but if you're in the window, be prepared to either wait in the middle until the door closes, or slide across quickly.
I just had this dumb idea while reading this. Print a paper boarding pass for the empty seat and just lay it on the empty seat. If anyone comes up to take the seat, hold up the boarding pass and say, "I don't think your boarding pass says 10E, because I have it right here."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.