Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For those wanting a extra seat for
  • Person of Size
  • Extra space to be less cramped
  • Space for large musical instrument / artwork
UA has a process call "EXTRASEAT" (A report of the use of "EXST" also)

It is booked like an additional passenger on your PNR but when you check in and when BP is scanned at the gate - both you and the "EXTRASEAT" are properly handled. Requires an agent to book and can not be done online. (This may have changed)
Originally Posted by smitopher
On the United web site , I searched for a trip, specifying 2 passengers.
Booked the best itinerary.
The second passengers first name was " EXTRASEAT "
Paid with a CC.
This concept is valid for either paid or award tickets.

Since the "EXTRASEAT" and you are on the same PNR, they both need to be of the same type -- no mixing award and paid. Likewise the same cabin.

You will get the RDMs (no elite bonus) for the "EXTRASEAT" but no extra PQMs & PQD PQPs?
If you buy a second seat on United or United Express®, you are eligible to earn award miles equal to the number of base miles for the flight. Members are not entitled to Premier® qualifying earnings and associated Premier benefits on the extra ticket purchased.
You will also get the additional standard baggage allowance for the EXTRASEAT but no extra carryon.
Can be upgraded per Upgraded my extra seat.

Other methods one might think of but don't work --
  • Book and assign the desired seat but be a "no show" -- No show ticket will be canceled and seat is likely to be assigned to another passenger
  • Book and assign the desired seat and try to scan both BPs -- generally, agents will not allow this, it is against UA policy.

Caution: There is a chance a GA or FA will try to fill the empty seat with a standby passenger. Best to inform the GA of the "EXTRASEAT" prior to boarding.

Print Wikipost

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:17 am

Some Clarifications...

Originally Posted by Pat89339
I have done this as recently June 2013 on an international flight. Two separate PNRs in my case. My award seat plus SEAT/EXSTMS and my traveling companion had an award seat. We are both 1Ks.

I chose my aisle and SEAT/EXSTMS middle and he chose the window seat. The SEAT/EXSTMS had to be booked over the phone. I booked my award seat first and added the extra seat later.

If all of the miles are coming out of one account, you could do it in one PNR.
We are both UA Gold, or will be soon. (I am now and she will be soon.)

The miles are coming out of my account, and yes I want to book the middle seat as an SEAT/EXTMS using miles. While not biz class, certainly better than 2 E+ seats for 12+ hours.

I know I would have to use an agent and pay the extra fee.

I really wanted feedback:

a) If you could do this with award miles.

b) Anyone with experience to make sure there are no last minute, oh an empty seat in E+, let's put someone in it...gate agent SNAFU.

c) Anyone who has actually done this

Thanks for the feedback and information...
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:52 pm

Booking 3 seats for 2 people?

Thinking of booking a Y award for 2 from HKG-SFO on the 744. Does UA MP allow us to book a whole row of 3 seats? 1 passenger booked into 2 seats and the other booked into 1??
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...extraseat.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 17, 2016 at 2:50 pm Reason: cleanup after merge
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver
You've asked an interesting question. You can certainly buy three seats for two people if you pay for them. You have to do it by phone, but it's quite permissible. Can you buy three seats with miles? Call them and ask.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP, UC Lifetime member, Hertz, Avis
UA will often times block off a middle seat for GS travelers in economy.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Exclamation

A question:

I'm booked SIN-NRT in Y, waitlisted with GPU.

I fear that the GPU may not clear. SIN-NRT is 7 hour flight and I don't feel like sitting in Y.

Can I book a saver F award in case the GPU doesn't clear?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 17, 2016 at 2:51 pm Reason: cleanup after merge
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd be concerned that seat assignment changes would result in two seats together for the designated passenger with the other passenger sitting separately.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by azzurro
Ah my bad, I read UA Gold. Thanks for catching *G...

Paying for E+ and then cancelling the unused mileage ticket 12 minutes prior to takeoff then creates one additional step to request the E+ refund on the cancelled ticket, unless EXTRASEAT is allowed to stand and the ticket is considered used.
AFAIK, the terms of E+ purchase is non-refundable except in very limited circumstances. It's even more limited in cases of pax-initiated change. In the case of a passenger-initiated cancel (or flight change) I don't believe there is a refund allowed.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd be concerned that seat assignment changes would result in two seats together for the designated passenger with the other passenger sitting separately.
That's possible, one imagines - but a relatively unlikely event. I haven't had a switched seat this year (49 segments).
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I also think it is unlikely. I buy an extra seat all the time so that my wife and I have a row to ourselves in Economy +. Frankly, it's sweet. We ride in the front of the plane once in while, but when we don't, we rely on what we call poor man's business class.

We have never had a problem.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Three Economy Seats in a Row on a 777

I am on a 777 with absolutely no chance of an upgrade or even buying a seat in business class.

I have an aisle seat in economy and the two seats next to it (the center and the window) are empty.

How can I buy with cash or redeem miles so that i can secure those two other seats? I assume UA would allow this. I would like to use these seats as my "lie flat bed" on the flight? I assume that there is no problem with the arm rests going and staying upgright. Have never done this before so any advice would help!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
You can buy an extra seat just like a passenger of size, although I'm not sure you can buy two. Also, you only have about 60", or less, so you can't really lie flat.

Not sure how miles will help - you'd be buying another ticket that you won't be able to use, which will become clear when you check in. Although I suppose you could book the ticket and then cancel shortly before the flight and hope the seat doesn't get filled.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
EXTRASEAT process is the only way to reliably to do this -- it allows one person to book two adjacent seats. I know of not way to do three for one person. he problem of purchasing extraseat independently is at boarding UA will not scan multiple BPs for the same person and therefore the seat assignment will be lost.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
You don't say where you are going, but if you have miles for two Y seats, you may very well have miles for a C seat. You cannot, however, travel on both revenue and miles on the same flight.

Sleeping 5 across on a 777 is nice. Sleeping 3 across on a 737 is less nice. It's hard to squeeze in and it's harder to get a seat belt around you. (Ask for an extender and use the belts from adjacent seats)
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:00 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
I am on a 777 with absolutely no chance of an upgrade or even buying a seat in business class.

I have an aisle seat in economy and the two seats next to it (the center and the window) are empty.

How can I buy with cash or redeem miles so that i can secure those two other seats? I assume UA would allow this. I would like to use these seats as my "lie flat bed" on the flight? I assume that there is no problem with the arm rests going and staying upgright. Have never done this before so any advice would help!
I flew ORD-GRU in E+ on a 777, and the flight had many empty seats, including the middle and window in my row. It wasn't too bad. The armrests do stay up. You will most likely have to bend your knees. Bring eyeshades and ear plugs if you need them because there is no amenity kit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.