Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1StRanger
. . . I went to united.com with the intent to switch to the full-size password (and to look for some tickets). I've found that for almost all the "security" questions, I cannot find the answers that I will remember. (And I need to choose and remember 5! Not 1 or 2, but 5 of those!) I will not remember, because they don't have MY answers.
. . . [W]ith this ridiculous multiple choice, I am left with no good choice. Without "upgrade", I cannot do anything in my account. But choosing the answers I wouldn't be able to remember would be like shooting yourself in the foot.
Totally agree. Very ill-conceived "security" change by United.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UAmileage+,SkyMiles,Avios
I agree with OP, most of the Q&A don't work for me, I have to guess a nearest answer to fill out, but I'm sure I will forget most of them. the way I did is screen capture my answer and put it on my desktop. Also I used awardwallet to keep track of my usser name & PW. Hope they can find other way to secure our account.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by all168
I agree with OP, most of the Q&A don't work for me, I have to guess a nearest answer to fill out, but I'm sure I will forget most of them. the way I did is screen capture my answer and put it on my desktop. Also I used awardwallet to keep track of my usser name & PW. Hope they can find other way to secure our account.
My wife had to set up an account for our son who just turned two. Picking out questions/answers that applied to a toddler felt rather ridiculous to her.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by o mikros
My wife had to set up an account for our son who just turned two. Picking out questions/answers that applied to a toddler felt rather ridiculous to her.
You mean the child doesn't have a favourite pizza tpping yet? Pshaw!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:04 pm

Wow!

Prior to posting, I searched the forum, but didn't find this thread. So, I am pleasantly surprised so many people have the same/similar concerns about UA's mediocre approach to implementing security.

(Thanks to the moderator who merged my post to the existing old thread, I was able to see that there were 21 pages of postings on related issues.)

Originally Posted by Zarf4
Agree with others who correctly noted that by Googling someone you have a good chance to correctly determine answers. My technique to avoid that is to pick a small sequence like uppercase wife's initials & wedding month (i.e., "EC6") which prefixes each of my answers -

What is your favorite color? EC6blue
What street did you grow up on? EC6pine
I use a very similar technique.
I am glad, I am not the only one who realizes that it is easy to find answers for some people.

Moreover, - on some websites that use security Q/A feature, once you are logged in, actually show you the answers you selected (under your profile). (Not the case on ua.com.)

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
And for security reasons you should never use actual answers
Exactly!

Originally Posted by o mikros
At least they your wife didn't have to think what's your son's favorite drink, choosing from scotch, gin and whiskey. I wouldn't expect that geniuses from UA to add milk to that list.

In those cases where one can enter free text, for my kid, I usually enter some keywords that have no connection to the question but they are based on a unambiguous scheme that I've worked out. In some way it is similar to the one from

Last edited by goalie; Jun 24, 2016 at 11:42 pm Reason: Editing a quoted post is not permitted
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I liked it better for years just used a pin number. Hey banks use pin numbers and don't require all those security questions. Got a good security question.
What is your favorite airline.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
wow, I thought I was the only one who thought the new security was a joke!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by 1StRanger
tl;dr: The way United implemented new security authentication on united.com is different from the industry standard and it makes it less secure and even unusable for some users.
BUT! They did it with a twist:
You do not get to type in YOUR answer, you must choose from a present of SOMEONE else's answers (most likely some IT manager who neither knows internet security procedures, nor understands the psychology.).

Today, after not flying United for a few months, I went to united.com with the intent to switch to the full-size password (and to look for some tickets). I've found that for almost all the "security" questions, I cannot find the answers that I will remember. (And I need to choose and remember 5! Not 1 or 2, but 5 of those!) I will not remember, because they don't have MY answers.

When I spoke with the Mileage Plus support, the lady told me (several times!), that I should write those answers down on a piece of paper or take a screenshot. (Any real security experts would laugh at that advice.)

I've finally caved in and chose something... The irony is that an hour later, I don't remember 3 out of 5 answers. Because they are not "natural" to me.

PS. To give just one example of the questions: "What major city did you travel to first?" I don't know how they've chosen those cities. Obviously, it is very much US-centric. It has Santa Fe with the population of 70 K, but it is missing a bunch of European capitals. (And I am not even talking about other large cities in Europe, with the population exceeding 1M.)
Yes it is that lame, and a terrible security protocol set forth by the UA security department. Would have to live with it for now, unfortunately.

Already sent the Customer Care post indicating the issues with security management, and I have yet heard anything from UA yet. Might be trying it again.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:25 pm

Obsessive security questions

Put me down on that list of those who think the new United system is absolutely boneheaded . Same reasons : I'll never remember those answers .
I 'm certain this is a case of someone proving how clever they are and important they are .
I asked United how many times accounts had been hacked anyway and they would not answer .
Good thing it's just not that important , I can fly with other airlines .
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Dalo
Put me down on that list of those who think the new United system is absolutely boneheaded . Same reasons : I'll never remember those answers .
I 'm certain this is a case of someone proving how clever they are and important they are .
I asked United how many times accounts had been hacked anyway and they would not answer .
Good thing it's just not that important , I can fly with other airlines .
Agree - totally asinine / just UA covering their butts in case something happens....
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dalo
I asked United how many times accounts had been hacked anyway and they would not answer . ....
Most in corporate America would not answer that question (as most would not in various government levels). Not realistic to even ask the question.

But it clearly has happened at UA

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...edemption.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ec-2014-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...it-us-opm.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ne-hacked.html

just for starters
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:23 pm

Aside from inconvenience the main security issue with pre-selected answers is predictability. Faced with a list of choices, users will with virtual certainty select the most common/obvious/easy to remember.

I would estimate favorite marine animal to be dolphin (8/10) followed closely by a turtle (2/10). Ditto for favorite city (Paris/New York), pizza topping (pepperoni 9/10) etc.
That renders these questions essentially useless.

That said, United is using these questions not because they truly feel that enhances account security, but because it is the current "standard of care".

From the industry that still will let you look up and modify any reservation based on a last name and a 6 letter code (posted in the open in plenty of places) - meaningful security is not going to happen anytime soon.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I got another reminder on my home page about the new security procedures (even though I did the new PW and questions a long time ago). The link took me to a list of FAQ's. My favorite (regarding the pre-selected answers to their questions) -

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I got another reminder on my home page about the new security procedures (even though I did the new PW and questions a long time ago).
Me too just now. I was scratching my head. Reading a FAQ doesn't help me unless something changed from when I updated things in Feb.

Scratching my head here.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Me too just now. I was scratching my head. Reading a FAQ doesn't help me unless something changed from when I updated things in Feb.

Scratching my head here.
Same here. There has to be a reason for them to add this to the top of the main page *and* have it stick around after you login.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.