Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by StingWest
Just double-checking (as there are a lot of miles at stake):

So I can actually wait to cancel a UA-metal award flight until the last moment (or even just not show up) and they will still re-deposit the miles (I'm a 1K)?? Not showing up is not good form obviously, but just asking to be sure.

Also, I assume if I'm not certain until the last moment whether I'm flying I should not check in until I know I'm flying, correct?

Thanks
Yep, I recently did this with no problem whatsoever. I think you're most certainly better off not checking in before asking to cancel.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Question Repercussions of No-Showing for Award Flights

I booked separate United award flights for BWI->DEN (12.5k miles) and DEN->ASE (10k miles) for a personal trip on 1/22. Now a work trip earlier in the week has popped up. That means I would be out in Los Angeles, so I'd charge my company for a LAX to ASE flight instead of me taking my award flights. My understanding is that if I cancel the award flights, I'll have to pay $400 to restore my miles. That's simply not worth it to me. And work plans can change last minute so I don't want to cancel my award flights far ahead of time.

Here's my concern: That if I no-show for these two flights, United will cancel my flight three days later out of ASE to DEN at the end of the weekend or in some way give me grief. Are there any repercussions such as these if I no-show for the first two flights? Is there any way to get some or all of my mikes back without paying $400? Thank you so much!!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by meecal
...... That if I no-show for these two flights, United will cancel my flight three days later out of ASE to DEN at the end of the weekend or in some way give me grief. ...
cancelling of later flights will only occur when an earlier flight on the same PNR was a no show. Seperate PNRs are independent.

Originally Posted by meecal
......Are there any repercussions such as these if I no-show for the first two flights? Is there any way to get some or all of my mikes back without paying $400? ....
no-show on award flights does not forfeit the miles but you will still need to pay the redeposit fee unless there is a weather waiver issued for the relevant flights/days.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:55 am

When changing an award ticket online, does United cancel all previous segments and rebook it again? I was trying to change a ticket with 3 segments: A, B, C. I only checked segment C online to change. Segment A still has award available but B wasn't. After clicking through the final payment page, the system gave me an error. Called Agent and found out segment B was missing and Agent said I cancelled that segment which I didn't!!! I thought that the change process was to keep existing non-changed segments and only cancel and rebook the checked one but seems like United simply cancelled all segments and re-booked it again. Is this true?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spgbus
When changing an award ticket online, does United cancel all previous segments and rebook it again? I was trying to change a ticket with 3 segments: A, B, C. I only checked segment C online to change. Segment A still has award available but B wasn't. After clicking through the final payment page, the system gave me an error. Called Agent and found out segment B was missing and Agent said I cancelled that segment which I didn't!!! I thought that the change process was to keep existing non-changed segments and only cancel and rebook the checked one but seems like United simply cancelled all segments and re-booked it again. Is this true?
Usually it works as it's supposed to, and only the selected segment is changed.

Sometimes the system makes an error which is what happened to you.

When this happens, people here will say "you should always call in those changes rather than trying to make them online." When a phone agent screws up your award itinerary, people will say, "you should have done that online." Sometimes with UA and its systems (both automated and human), you just can't win.

Were you able to get it back? Since this was a UA error, you should politely push to have UA open award space to restore the segment if necessary.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
How long for award miles to redeposit

As I 1k I often book and cancel award flights since I don't pay the change fee. Two days ago I tried to cancel and AC award on-line, but at the end of process it said to call an agent. I did and she finished cancelling it for me. I'm now overseas and the miles have not re-posted yet. In my experience, this usually has happened right away. Not in a place where it's easy to call in to MP service....think this got messed up or does it take a few days sometimes? I'm hoping to use the miles soon.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My experience is that they usually are back with in a few hours. If it's been two days I would call MP.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: 1k
It has taken longer for me with a non UA flight.

UA within a minute for me, but others sometimes several days.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Question

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
cancelling of later flights will only occur when an earlier flight on the same PNR was a no show. Seperate PNRs are independent.

no-show on award flights does not forfeit the miles but you will still need to pay the redeposit fee unless there is a weather waiver issued for the relevant flights/days.
@:-) So with the possibility of some sort of delay for the flight, either weather or otherwise, is it best to not cancel? I know I won't be taking the flight and I'm not interested in paying $200 to reclaim 12,500 miles, so I'm thinking I just stand by and if there is any delay I call UA and ask them to refund my miles at that point....

That makes you wonder though - why would you ever cancel ahead of time if you're not interested in paying to get the miles back?

Last edited by meecal; Jan 17, 2015 at 4:33 am
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:10 pm

Aww man; that sucks.

This happened to me except I called in to make a change (I couldn't make any changes online) and after the agent revised my last segment, I lost my award space on ANA. I didn't realize it until I got the confirmation email so I called back to United and they "assured" me that ANA would put me back in; I would just have to wait until Monday to speak to someone with ANA. Eventually, I reached out to ANA who said it was unlikely. I called United back and got an agent (two actually) who called ANA on the line with me but got the same 'Sorry Charlie. It's gone and we ain't giving it back.'

United just pretty much said tough luck. Fortunately, after that last disappointing phone call, I searched for saver on United metal and was able to get placed on that flight. They never even offered this as an alternative, just to keep pushing the issue with ANA.

This does not apply to you but what I should have done was stayed on the line with the agent until my revised itinerary came through my email or refreshed my information on United's page. At least we could have resolved the issue then instead of having me sweat that out for several days.

After that, I was so scared to make any changes that I almost missed out on grabbing first saver on my return trip. Glad I did though.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. It's just that I feel your pain.

I hope you are able to get it worked out; keep us updated.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Unable to modify one segment in award ticket

Hi-

I have an exiting domestic award ticket, routing TPA-IAH-SFO, with a fairly long (5 hour) layover in IAH. Checking online, I see a better connection for the TPA-IAH leg, to reduce the layover time.

I called in to modify the ticket. Agent found availability, but then put me on hold because she was having difficulty. After a period of time, she let me know that although there is availability if I were only traveling TPA-IAH, the availability is not there if attempting to ticket all the way through to SFO. I was confused, because I wasn't trying to change my existing IAH-SFO segment.

Has anyone encountered this issue, where a segment's availability is only valid when traveling that segment only? I can't understand why this restriction would be in place, and I'd love to be able to book this leg, if possible.

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Usually it works as it's supposed to, and only the selected segment is changed.

Sometimes the system makes an error which is what happened to you.

When this happens, people here will say "you should always call in those changes rather than trying to make them online." When a phone agent screws up your award itinerary, people will say, "you should have done that online." Sometimes with UA and its systems (both automated and human), you just can't win.

Were you able to get it back? Since this was a UA error, you should politely push to have UA open award space to restore the segment if necessary.
Fortunately there was still an earlier flight available and agent just booked me on that one yesterday. I checked again this morning, found out my cancelled seats were returned to the system, it is a SAS flight segment, eventually my original seats have been switched back today.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Fortunately there was still an earlier flight available and agent just booked me on that one yesterday. I checked again this morning, found out my cancelled seats were returned to the system, it is a SAS flight segment, eventually my original seats have been switched back today.
Ticketing SAS is often problematic.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: United,Marriott,National
Redeposit of Award Miles

Question, recently cancelled a leg of an award flight I booked for my daughter with my miles. Was told that I can not redeposit into my account but has to stay with the original name on ticket. Anyone had the same experience? I am Platinum so no fees should apply for redeposit.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Alliecolvin
Question, recently cancelled a leg of an award flight I booked for my daughter with my miles. Was told that I can not redeposit into my account but has to stay with the original name on ticket. Anyone had the same experience? I am Platinum so no fees should apply for redeposit.
Bogus answer

BUT once a portion of an award flight has been flown, there are only limited cases in which one can get a refund of the unflown segments. So without knowing more, it is very likely there is no miles to redeposit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.