Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by whitethunder
Thanks for the advice, I just bought a 13000mah portable power bank on amazon just in case

About the SDC, is that T-24 Hrs from the original SFO-HKG flight or T-24 Hours from the ORD-HKG flight (I've never SDC before) Thanks
Both flights must be within 24 hours. If you're flying from SFO, you must be within 24 hours of the 1:25 p.m. departure to HKG and the connecting flight to ORD (6:01 a.m.). So that would be 1:25 p.m. on January 14. Note that you also must have availability in your booked fare class (K). That might be a challenge here.

Definitely worth watching and checking though if you haven't cleared SFO by then. Check the EWR flight as well.

Are you originating at SFO or connecting?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
Both flights must be within 24 hours. If you're flying from SFO, you must be within 24 hours of the 1:25 p.m. departure to HKG and the connecting flight to ORD (6:01 a.m.). So that would be 1:25 p.m. on January 14. Note that you also must have availability in your booked fare class (K). That might be a challenge here.

Definitely worth watching and checking though if you haven't cleared SFO by then. Check the EWR flight as well.

Are you originating at SFO or connecting?
leaving from YEG actually, only way to get to HKG on the day I wanted was to fly YEG-DEN-SFO-HKG so I'd prefer the YEG-ORD-HKG (even if that only leaves a short 67 min connection in ORD). I have my cell handy to call wednesday for sure at 1:25PM PST!! Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
leaving from YEG actually, only way to get to HKG on the day I wanted was to fly YEG-DEN-SFO-HKG so I'd prefer the YEG-ORD-HKG (even if that only leaves a short 67 min connection in ORD). I have my cell handy to call wednesday for sure at 1:25PM PST!! Thanks
It's 24 hours from your YEG departure; in this case, I believe that's going to be 7:38 a.m. based on the YEG-ORD flight.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well there's always a chance, but if I were you I'd get that battery (and consider loading some good content on your device in case the streaming malfunctions).

Note that ORD is R4 on Jan. 15, but I think that will be a very expensive change right now. Check again at T-24 for SDC possibilities.
Well just an update on my SFO-HKG trip tomorrow, over past week it went down to only 2 J seats open on seatmap, I figured I am SOL for sure, I was going to monitor R space all day today. I even checked last night and the flight showed F2 and J4 and R0 when I went to bed at 1130PM.

I wake up to an email sent at 106AM saying my waitlist cleared

I checked this AM and still shows F2 J4 R0..

Don't know what happened, as It was a "K" fare with miles UG, thought I'd lose to high fare GPU users for sure.

So moral of story is miracle's happen haha
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:43 am

I wake up to an email sent at 106AM saying my waitlist cleared
^^

Flight now booked 48/52 in J, with three on the waitlist.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
Feb 14 - EWR - BOM
Mar 3 - EWR - HKG
Mar 13 - BOM - EWR

R0 on all routes, used a GPU on the first flight, two GPUS (GF and I on second), three GPU on third flight.

Am I probably SOL? Especially on the last return trip to have 3 GPUs clear?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Platinum
Upgrade Chances using GPU EWR - DEL

I found R space on the out bound but I am waitlisted for the return. 1K on a W fare. Been watching for R to open but so far nada. Also been watching this weeks flight upgrade list. Do upgrades that clear the waitlists in advance of OLCI show on the waitlists? Trying to get some idea of my chances. This is for a flight in late March on a Monday. Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mollyann500
Do upgrades that clear the waitlists in advance of OLCI show on the waitlists?
No, they do not show.

It's impossible to provide any meaningful input without knowing the specific flight, and even then it's little more than educated speculation.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mollyann500
I found R space on the out bound but I am waitlisted for the return. 1K on a W fare. Been watching for R to open but so far nada. Also been watching this weeks flight upgrade list. Do upgrades that clear the waitlists in advance of OLCI show on the waitlists? Trying to get some idea of my chances. This is for a flight in late March on a Monday. Thanks
EWR DEL and EWR BOM are the toughest routes for GPUs to clear (justifiably so, since they are 14 hour flights and its likely the best possible use of a GPU). R space available on booking is incredibly rare. That said, chances are better than 50/50 for Monday flight in late March to clear at some point prior to take off. Expect to clear a week or so in advance (although occasionally I've cleared a month or so in advance and on one occasion after I boarded).
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Pedro Gonzales
EWR DEL and EWR BOM are the toughest routes for GPUs to clear (justifiably so, since they are 14 hour flights and its likely the best possible use of a GPU). R space available on booking is incredibly rare. That said, chances are better than 50/50 for Monday flight in late March to clear at some point prior to take off. Expect to clear a week or so in advance (although occasionally I've cleared a month or so in advance and on one occasion after I boarded).
Thank you Pedro Gonzales. I know I was lucky to find the EWR-DEL R space at booking and feel fairly confident that I will clear DEL-EWR on the return. Just wanted to get a bit of input about chances.

Kacee.....thanks for the info on the waitlist.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Looking at a flight in early Feb for LHR-SFO, I am on the waitlist for upgrade to BF, so was checking the seats available, on Monday there were 23 unallocated seats, 21 yesterday, and 8 today. R=0, RN=0 each day I have checked this week. It seems a large jump to me.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Parikh1234
Feb 14 - EWR - BOM
Mar 3 - EWR - HKG
Mar 13 - BOM - EWR

R0 on all routes, used a GPU on the first flight, two GPUS (GF and I on second), three GPU on third flight.

Am I probably SOL? Especially on the last return trip to have 3 GPUs clear?
Depends on how high the J load is. But those are some of the hardest routes to clear in the entire network, which makes it a gamble at this point.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA GS
IAD-DXB

OK guys, what do you think:

Mrs. Lex04 and I traveling IAD-DXB 2 April (Thurs), return 12 April (Sun).

Using GPUs, W fare, GS status. R=0 but 9s across the other fare classes on both the outbound and return. 5/40 C seats and 10 E+ seats taken on the outbound; 2/40 C seats and 15 E+ seats taken on the return.

This is obviously a tough route to upgrade- has anyone had success using a GPU?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
just wondering if anyone has been given an upgrade on intl flight as Gold? Just made Gold 2015 and should be 1k by the end of the year but getting mixed information. Also as Gold do I get admission to the UA club as it is intl or not..

Thanks..just wanted to know as sched ewr-lhr Feb 12
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mel Grant
just wondering if anyone has been given an upgrade on intl flight as Gold?...
a freeebie -- as in op-up, possible but rare.

UA will generally leave business seats open and will op-up only if economy is oversold.

Originally Posted by Mel Grant
.... Also as Gold do I get admission to the UA club as it is intl or not.. ..
only on international itins

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.