Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Washu234
Moral of the story? When in Mexico, comply with change seat requests?
What does Mexico have to do with this story? The Skywest pilot is the one who decided to offload your friend.

I'm generally hesitant to draw any conclusions about what really happened based on a second hand report.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Anyway, I was flabbergasted that the woman freaking out got the seat she wanted and my friend who essentially did nothing wrong was kicked off the flight
Assuming you stated it as it happened, this is absolutely ridiculous! How does "I want to be close to the restroom" = ebola? I wonder if she could raise a major complaint as technically if the captain and FA's thought she had ebola and didnt, and removed her just because someone said the word Ebloa, I assume there has to be repercussions.

I know a captain can remove someone from his plane but I assume there is a stipulation that it has to be if there is a danger posed to the crew, plane, or staff otherwise a captain could just kick anyone off for any reason.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 17, 2014 at 4:20 am Reason: fix html
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by trini19
I know a captain can remove someone from his plane but I assume there is a stipulation that it has to be if there is a danger posed to the crew, plane, or staff otherwise a captain could just kick anyone off for any reason.
We don't know what was said between pilot and pax, so cannot draw any fact-based conclusions about whether the pilot's actions were justified.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Taking the thread a little more off topic..............

Since this was referred to somewhere around page 6, it is hopefully only slightly off topic. And I apologize in advance if the party to whom I refer is a contributor on this board.

On a recent flight from SFO-KOA, my wife and I were standing in line for about 15 minutes waiting to board. This was due to a) the boarding being delayed 20 minutes and b) my wife who is just over a year removed from double knee replacement needs to stand to stretch whenever she can (especially before a long flight) as well as moving a bit slowly. As we were standing at the front of Group 1, a gentleman (and boy do I use the term loosely) said loud enough for the entire line to hear "I hate the lice that stand in this line and have to be first on board". Showing far more self control than I thought I had, I simply ignored him...............until he said it again! At which point, despite my wife's protestations, I walked back to where he was standing and did 2 things..........First, I showed him my Boarding pass which clearly indicated that the front of the line was where we were supposed to be. Then, I informed him the next time he referred to either my wife or me in with that disparaging term, his next trip to paradise might be one way.

I know, I am not proud of myself but the snark that passes for humor these days just amazes me sometimes. I know I now fully qualify for being the biggest DYKWIA on the flight, but to shoot off your mouth without a clue as to the situation you are commenting on just makes me shake my head.

OK, rip away.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Im not gonna rip ya, I may have done similar depending. ...
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The kicked off the flight for a small bladder misconstrued as ebola girl should have just said what I always do as I need/want the aisle which is "I go pee about 1-2x/hour."
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
As we were standing at the front of Group 1, a gentleman (and boy do I use the term loosely) said loud enough for the entire line to hear "I hate the lice that stand in this line and have to be first on board". Showing far more self control than I thought I had, I simply ignored him...............until he said it again! At which point, despite my wife's protestations, I walked back to where he was standing and did 2 things.........
I corrected your two things for you:

Would have responded to which 1) "What did one head lice say to the other lice standing next to him? You wait here, I'll go on a head." 2) Welcome fellow lice standing next to me, I'm the head lice in charge of this line.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
We don't know what was said between pilot and pax, so cannot draw any fact-based conclusions about whether the pilot's actions were justified.
Sadly, I think you're on to something. She may have something stupid in the moment () but we weren't there for the 1:1. At the point that the captain intervened he just saw two angry women yelling at each other. My friend was definitely the path of least resistance and I'm sure when having a private discussion she could of said something while heated that could warrant removal.

Weeks later playing the ordeal over in my head I'm shocked at how fast it all happened. I still can't believe it.

The mexico line was just jesting. It was a beautiful wedding in a beautiful country. One hiccup at the very end but everyone got home safe and sound (eventually).
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
The kicked off the flight for a small bladder misconstrued as ebola girl"
You are clearly a native German speaker. I'll bet you could make that into a one-word adjective in German!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:37 am

Building on the trend of "Can we change seats" talk in the Delta DYKWIA thread.

QRO to IAH 9/1

I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and was flabbergasted at the "can I have your seat" treatment my new friend from the wedding encountered. I was two seats back from her (a small girl in her 20's) when the (large middle aged) woman in the window seat asked her to move to the window in broken english.

My friend politely declined, as she often uses the restroom and wanted to be close if she needed it. She alluded to this, and the woman started asking loudly "What's wrong with you? Are you sick" (noticeably better English now). My friend declined to comment saying something like "no, I just want to be near the restroom", and the woman asking her her seat would not let up. Soon enough the FA was involved and next thing you know people are talking Ebola.

To say my friend took this well is an overstatement, and she refused to talk about her 'non condition' and kept talking about how ridiculous this whole thing was.

Soon enough the captain was involved and asked her to talk outside the plane (QRO is tiny, no jetbridge there). I really don't know the girl well, so I didn't get involved but I quickly found out that she was denied boarding. Door closed, she wasn't on.

I later found out that she was told something of the line "ma'am, we don't want any trouble. We know you're not contagious, we just have to be safe".

She was accommodated on a later flight and apparently offered a $25 Macy's gift card (I've never heard of this happening - but I heard this part second hand). Anyway, I was flabbergasted that the woman freaking out got the seat she wanted and my friend who essentially did nothing wrong was kicked off the flight.

Moral of the story? When in Mexico, comply with change seat requests?

Can you get more info from the friend-pax? And if warranted, help her file the appropriate reports/complaints/forms?

This is outrageous.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Sounds outrageous...but perhaps she told the pax, "I have eblola, [buzz] off" in a joking way.

If I am ever asked to move seats rudely, I become very nasty very fast.

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Sep 17, 2014 at 12:40 pm Reason: that was profanity?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I agree. I meant in general, can a captain or FA force someone off a plane for other than a potential safety issue?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:04 am

I know, I am not proud of myself but the snark that passes for humor these days just amazes me sometimes.
Totally agree! It amazes me in general while flying the lack of airline/flying etiquette from remarks to pushing to get in line etc.

I know I now fully qualify for being the biggest DYKWIA on the flight, but to shoot off your mouth without a clue as to the situation you are commenting on just makes me shake my head.

OK, rip away.
Definitely gonna rip you on this one! Standing up for your wife to someone who indirectly insults her and showing you are standing in the correct place while patiently awaiting to board is never a DYKWIA scenario. It is being a husband and nice pax scenario ^
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dank0014
..."What did one head lice say to the other lice standing next to him? You wait here, I'll go on a head."....
ha ha

Singular of "lice" is "louse", by the way.

Glad I've never had lice in any of the hice that I've lived in...

Dang, English is a tricky language
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Since this was referred to somewhere around page 6, it is hopefully only slightly off topic. And I apologize in advance if the party to whom I refer is a contributor on this board.

On a recent flight from SFO-KOA, my wife and I were standing in line for about 15 minutes waiting to board. This was due to a) the boarding being delayed 20 minutes and b) my wife who is just over a year removed from double knee replacement needs to stand to stretch whenever she can (especially before a long flight) as well as moving a bit slowly. As we were standing at the front of Group 1, a gentleman (and boy do I use the term loosely) said loud enough for the entire line to hear "I hate the lice that stand in this line and have to be first on board". Showing far more self control than I thought I had, I simply ignored him...............until he said it again! At which point, despite my wife's protestations, I walked back to where he was standing and did 2 things..........First, I showed him my Boarding pass which clearly indicated that the front of the line was where we were supposed to be. Then, I informed him the next time he referred to either my wife or me in with that disparaging term, his next trip to paradise might be one way.

I know, I am not proud of myself but the snark that passes for humor these days just amazes me sometimes. I know I now fully qualify for being the biggest DYKWIA on the flight, but to shoot off your mouth without a clue as to the situation you are commenting on just makes me shake my head.

OK, rip away.
Kudos to you! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.