Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
While unfortunately being a jerk is not illegal, I believe this is.
I have already pointed out one vaping passenger to an FA. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I knew someone was doing it by the smell...then it was a matter of figuring out the offender. That took a bit if time.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:18 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I wonder if that could've gotten him a thorough mandatory interview with police at the destination...
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
For the sake of creating a visual, she was super slim and wore her LuluLemon outfit well and did some stretches for all of us in the center aisle mid-flight.
You should've called her over, and acted real discrete and whispered to her "Oh my, it appears you've had a little accident of some sort -- you may want to go to the lav."

And she would've been in there for the rest of the flight looking for that non-existent stain on her leotard.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
What's a "vape"?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by manstein58
What's a "vape"?
http://ezvaporizers.com/vape-pens/cat_112.html
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
* Disclaimer: I'm well aware I'm just a spectator and don't know the whole story. Please take these at face value*

Late night yesterday, delayed flight by about an hour. Two characters:

1. A distressed man shows up and starts tugging on a closed door. When it won't open, he calls over a GA. "Excuse me, you guys closed this flight too soon. I was here on time, I'm a million miler, and I want to get on my flight."

The GA looked confused - asked which flight he was on. Response: "I'm on this flight, I was here on time, you guys closed to soon." GA looks it up and tells him he's at the wrong gate. The guy goes running off, but pulls the same act about two gates down.

2. My flight was moved from Gate 86 to gate 85. I'm still sitting at gate 86. A guy comes up to the GA (who was talking to someone else) and says "Why has the gate moved? Why have you not told anybody?" The GA responds with "Sir I'm helping this person, the gate just moved."

His response: Well you should tell me.
GA: It just happened...

We talk about poor customer service, and the GA did give some lip back - but at the end of the day, I couldn't help but wonder which came first - rude customers or rude GA's.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by teeceedee
* Disclaimer: I'm well aware I'm just a spectator and don't know the whole story. Please take these at face value*

Late night yesterday, delayed flight by about an hour. Two characters:

1. A distressed man shows up and starts tugging on a closed door. When it won't open, he calls over a GA. "Excuse me, you guys closed this flight too soon. I was here on time, I'm a million miler, and I want to get on my flight."

The GA looked confused - asked which flight he was on. Response: "I'm on this flight, I was here on time, you guys closed to soon." GA looks it up and tells him he's at the wrong gate. The guy goes running off, but pulls the same act about two gates down.

2. My flight was moved from Gate 86 to gate 85. I'm still sitting at gate 86. A guy comes up to the GA (who was talking to someone else) and says "Why has the gate moved? Why have you not told anybody?" The GA responds with "Sir I'm helping this person, the gate just moved."

His response: Well you should tell me.
GA: It just happened...

We talk about poor customer service, and the GA did give some lip back - but at the end of the day, I couldn't help but wonder which came first - rude customers or rude GA's.
1. I would suspect intoxication and/or mental illness stronger than DYKWIA syndrome.

2. Wearing a 'DYKWIA' t-shirt or hat?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by milepig
Still in disbelief.

ORD-YYZ mainline. I'm in 2nd row of E+

Youngish full of himself comes on board with a buddy.

Stuffs his oversized carryon in the dead middle of a bin.
Buddy starts down the aisle.
Calls him back and says "sit here" (next to him).
FA notices and says to go to your assigned seat.
Entitle jerk whines "he's my buddy..."
FA says "this isn't his seat"
[several rounds]
Entitled dude says "I'll give you a hundred dollars"
FA (to her credit) says it doesn't work that way" and sends buddy back.
The seat's owner appears and settles in.
Jerk calls the FA over and says "how come HE gets to sit here."
FA says "um, it's his seat?"
Pouting ensues.
Take off.
Jerk sneaks his vape the entire flight.
Moments before landing he demands and pays for a double scotch.
Walks of the plane with the scotch in his glass.
Depending on the accent of the offender, I would say it's a Canadian thing - if you've ever tried boarding a flight in Canada, the experience is only mildly better than China. I had a flight last year to YYZ where a Canadian F passenger hung out beside the G1 line yapping into his cell phone, and when the line got too long for his personal liking, he walked all the way back behind the gate counter, and when boarding was called for G1, he popped out from behind, cutting off everyone else in line...I wish cattle prods were legal to use in public.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 2019 at 11:52 pm Reason: Removed OMNI comment
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:08 pm

I was flying with my family today and had some GS members upset. Normal United boarding process...they even announced "we have four Global Services members on this flight, you are welcome to board now". Two boarded quickly. Then it was Group 1. My family was fourth in line and when it was our turn I went first to help shuttle my kids through quickly. GA scanned my BP and one of my kids. Although my family was clearly with me the other two GS squeeze in front of my wife and other kid. Gate agent is our hero and tells GS they missed their call and she's going to finish taking care of this family first. They are visibly unhappy but comply. Once on board my son asks "what is Global Services? It looked like they had special gold rimmed tickets that said Global Services!" I didn't see what he saw (maybe an envelope?) but I chuckled because it reminded me of the golden ticket winners in Willy Wonka. Could I have flown with Veruca Salt?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by atword
It looked like they had special gold rimmed tickets that said Global Services!" I didn't see what he saw
Gold color on phone BP instead of blue. Otherwise re rest of your story--ugh.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Gold color on phone BP instead of blue. Otherwise re rest of your story--ugh.
+1

Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Just had an unbelievably bad nightmare with UA "Team" at CLT and would like to hear others' experience with this crowd but need instructions on how to do
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Originally Posted by manstein58
Just had an unbelievably bad nightmare with UA "Team" at CLT and would like to hear others' experience with this crowd but need instructions on how to do
What do you mean in terms of instructions needed?

I've had mediocre experiences with UA at CLT. Nothing terrible, but not the best handling of a delay I've ever had (with a dependant connection).
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by atword
I was flying with my family today and had some GS members upset. Normal United boarding process...they even announced "we have four Global Services members on this flight, you are welcome to board now". Two boarded quickly. Then it was Group 1. My family was fourth in line and when it was our turn I went first to help shuttle my kids through quickly. GA scanned my BP and one of my kids. Although my family was clearly with me the other two GS squeeze in front of my wife and other kid. Gate agent is our hero and tells GS they missed their call and she's going to finish taking care of this family first. They are visibly unhappy but comply. Once on board my son asks "what is Global Services? It looked like they had special gold rimmed tickets that said Global Services!" I didn't see what he saw (maybe an envelope?) but I chuckled because it reminded me of the golden ticket winners in Willy Wonka. Could I have flown with Veruca Salt?
Terribly rude for the GS group to try to board in-between your family. But just for clarification, when the GA said the GSs "missed their call" they still get to board at first opportunity don't they? When I'm boarding in Group 1, if there's a GS (or two or three) to the left, I always stop to let them go first. I've yet to see the DYKWIA version of GS in that situation though; they're always nicely apologetic in that same awkward way I am if group 3 is boarding and I'm waiting at the front of the Group 1 line. I don't expect a group 3 boarder to understand the subtleties of the boarding process though, so I wait for the GA to motion me forward. But I'll actively stop for the GS when I see them, and if they say no, go ahead, I just smile and tell them they spend too much time in the air, they've earned it.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Terribly rude for the GS group to try to board in-between your family. But just for clarification, when the GA said the GSs "missed their call" they still get to board at first opportunity don't they? When I'm boarding in Group 1, if there's a GS (or two or three) to the left, I always stop to let them go first. I've yet to see the DYKWIA version of GS in that situation though; they're always nicely apologetic in that same awkward way I am if group 3 is boarding and I'm waiting at the front of the Group 1 line. I don't expect a group 3 boarder to understand the subtleties of the boarding process though, so I wait for the GA to motion me forward. But I'll actively stop for the GS when I see them, and if they say no, go ahead, I just smile and tell them they spend too much time in the air, they've earned it.
Mike, you're exactly right^. And the few times that I have arrived at a gate once boarding has begun, I simply join the G1 line if it is in progress or go through the G1 chute if it is empty and wait to be motioned in. I couldn't imagine expecting or demanding a cessation of boarding mid-family! I cannot think of anything ruder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.