Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:46 am

hey everyone,
I'm a total UA noob; haven't flown with UA in over a decade. I'm flying United First from HNL to IAH and United Business from IAH to BZE. I'm not a United frequent flyer member or anything. Would I still have access to the lounges at HNL and IAH?

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, US
Denied Lounge Access at IAD on MileagePlus Business Award Ticket

I flew my wife over to meet me in London last month. She doesn't fly much, so I wanted it to be a nice experience and booked her in BusinessFirst with an award and told her to spend her layover in the United Club at IAD on the way to LHR.

She was denied access. The lounge agent said that since she was flying on an award ticket she was not entitled to use the lounge. She got to have that nice feeling of embarrassment of being told you may not enter, and I got a healthy dose of "you were wrong" when she arrived.

So a few days ago I got around to entering a complaint on United.com. This is the response I got:

Dear Mr. GrillingGreg,

Thank you for writing to inquire about access to the United Club at IAD enroute to LHR. You are exactly correct in that Mrs. GrillingGreg should have been admitted to the IAD United Club. I am so sorry this happened and understand how it could take some of the magic off the trip. As long as her next stop was an international destination, and it was, she was entitled to entry.

I telephoned the UA Club Customer Service Center (866) 822- 5827 to verify nothing had changed and the website was updated. If Mileage ticket holders were to be excluded, and why on earth would we do that, then the information would have been spelled out online. You are redeeming hard-earned awards and these are not 'free' tickets; they are prepaid, if you will.

Please know I have already forwarded your feedback to the UA Club manager at IAD for review. I am sure it was either an issue of training or an honest mistake. I am so sorry and hope you will forward out sincere apology to Mrs. GrillingGreg.

While I cannot undo the frustration you and she experienced, please accept a deposit of 15,000 redeemable goodwill miles to your account as a more tangible expression of our apologies. Miles should appear in your account within approximately 15 business days and we certainly hope they will come in handy so we can welcome you onboard United again soon.

Thank you for this opportunity to respond, Mr. GrillingGreg. We appreciate the loyalty and business you have given to United since August, 1987.
I think that's fair -- the lounge access was worth $50 ( a one time pass), so 15K miles is a great deal. But I'd rather it not have happened. I'll print out that email for any time we're using an award and expect lounge access.

The other lesson is that if you're in a dispute with an agent about the rules, it might be worth calling the customer care center right then and seeing if they can straighten things out.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
I would not have been pleased at all if they tried to deny me on a biz award. IAD is sometimes quite bad, but considering you even get arrivals access in LHR on a biz award, their stance is just offensive.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: UA GS
Which Club

Was this the Club at C-7 or C-17? From my experience (YMMV), C-17 staff and far more knowledgeable.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Was this the Club at C-7 or C-17? From my experience (YMMV), C-17 staff and far more knowledgeable.
Sorry, I don't know. She's not a frequent traveller.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:39 am

While it must have been a frustrating and experience at the time, I personally thought the reply that you received was thoughtful and she did everything she did to correct the problem. In the past, when I have complained, I have only received form letters that hardly addressed this issue. I enjoyed the fact that she verified that the rules were the same, contacted the UA Club manager at IAD and also deposited 15K miles into your account.

While what happened was wrong, this agent went out of her way to correct it. I'm impressed by her response and would be more then willing to accept 15K in lieu of going to a United Club any day.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by GrillingGreg
I think that's fair -- the lounge access was worth $50 ( a one time pass), so 15K miles is a great deal. But I'd rather it not have happened.
Out of curiosity re: the miles you were given, what MP level are you?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by GrillingGreg
Sorry, I don't know. She's not a frequent traveller.
I wonder if she accidentally went to the Global First Lounge at IAD and misinterpreted the reason for being turned away (class of service, vs. award ticket).
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by efjmiller
Out of curiosity re: the miles you were given, what MP level are you?

Originally Posted by CKinMD
I wonder if she accidentally went to the Global First Lounge at IAD and misinterpreted the reason for being turned away (class of service, vs. award ticket).
She's pretty adamant that the explanation was that it was an award ticket.

One would think that if she had gone to the Global First Lounge they'd have told her to go to another lounge, not that she wasn't eligible for lounge access.

And while she's not a frequent traveller, she is a lawyer and is extremely precise in listening to people's wording.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 12, 2012 at 11:18 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: Kettle
I have had a global services phone rep very adamantly tell me that an upgrade using a SWU from economy to business first on an international flight does not get you into the club. She told me that was not a "paid ticket."

She was wrong, right?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Dsybok
YUP, LAX is my home club and they are not super militant from what I have seen compared to some other places. Glad it worked out for you.
The thing about LAX is that they know the rules inside out and want to make sure that anyone who is entitled to access gets it. You know, how it should be.

Originally Posted by cruisr
Priority pass does not get you access to United Clubs in the US.
Incorrect. It depends entirely on the airport and level of PP membership.

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Priority Pass cards obtained from US-based financial institutions (Read: Amex) do not get you RCC access. If you go out and buy a Priority Pass membership on your own, you should have access.
I do think you are supposed to be able to get Select entry (the $27 one) into RCCs if you have it through AMEX.

Originally Posted by im.daniel
Hi FT,
Flying BOI-SFO-EWR-YUL tonight on UA; I'm not a very frequent traveller of *A domestic flights in the US, but will my LH*G suffice in granting me access in SFO, even though it is a domestic leg? Sorry for the trivial question ...
Absolutely

Originally Posted by weekendsurfer
hey everyone,
I'm a total UA noob; haven't flown with UA in over a decade. I'm flying United First from HNL to IAH and United Business from IAH to BZE. I'm not a United frequent flyer member or anything. Would I still have access to the lounges at HNL and IAH?

Thanks!
You should.

Originally Posted by cozmo82
I have had a global services phone rep very adamantly tell me that an upgrade using a SWU from economy to business first on an international flight does not get you into the club. She told me that was not a "paid ticket."

She was wrong, right?
She was completely wrong.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by mrredskin
Question about the Credit Card "one time" passes:

Are we able to use those at two locations on day-of-travel? I have two layovers of roughly 2 and 3 hours, each, at ORD and SFO and they state one-time instead of one day or all day. Any experience in having the lovely agents allow us to hang on to these at ORD and give them up at SFO?
still wondering about this question
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM & *A Gold
Interesting quirk for RCC access when downgraded from First/Business to Economy

So let's say you were booked to fly X-Y-LHR in Biz class (SWU) and due to weather, you had to go X-Z-LHR, and in coach for Z-LHR as business class was fully booked. Ordinarily, an international economy class ticket only gets you a laugh at an RCC, even as a 1K. But if you present your electronic boarding pass for the biz class international flight (note, this is in airport Z, not airport Y, but on the same day), the little machine will beep, the light will go green, and you can waltz right in the RCC.

Nice (and posted from the RCC in city Z)
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
1K/*G always gets free access to RCC for international flights, regardless of class.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wayan
....Ordinarily, an international economy class ticket only gets you a laugh at an RCC, even as a 1K. ...
1Ks on International itins have system wide UC access. (as ryan182 already posted)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 15, 2012 at 6:29 pm Reason: ryan182 posted first

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.