Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by SmokeyTheBear
Does anyone know how long it will take to receive the United Club membership card? Bought on June 27th and I have a flight next week on US, so I was hoping to be able to have it by then so I can show it to US and get access to their lounges...
As long as it is United Club access, they should be able to verify your membership by looking up your MP number.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Reg
Originally Posted by cheltzel
As long as it is United Club access, they should be able to verify your membership by looking up your MP number.
It'll be a US airways lounge.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
It'll be a US airways lounge.
Sorry, I missed that in your post.

If you don't have the card, do you have any acknowlegement of membership?

You will need some form of membership card for admittance to non-UA lounges. If you have a receipt or email, it will depend on the mood of the person at the front desk (aka Lounge Dragon).
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Sorry, I missed that in your post.

If you don't have the card, do you have any acknowlegement of membership?

You will need some form of membership card for admittance to non-UA lounges. If you have a receipt or email, it will depend on the mood of the person at the front desk (aka Lounge Dragon).
I have a receipt showing that I have a membership. I guess I will hope for the best! Hopefully my card will arrive before then. It had been quoted at 2-3 weeks....but it's United...
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Do you have a confirmation email from UA?

Does anyone know how long it will take to receive the United Club membership card? Bought on June 27th and I have a flight next week on US, so I was hoping to be able to have it by then so I can show it to US and get access to their lounges...
When I signed up for a US Air Card, they sent me a confirmation email with the account number before I received the card ( about 10 days before ) I flew about 14 legs in 20 days and visited the RCC each time using that US Air Email. I would assume that US Air has the same system that UA used to look up my club membership with US? No? Good luck and Safe Travels
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:11 pm

Received my card today, so crisis averted! Took just under a month.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: United 1K
Angry Denied United Club Entry - 1K traveling internationally

I travel United international economy frequently (mostly to NRT, TPE and LHR) and have always had United Club access as a Premier 1K member. Last week, at the Boston Logan Terminal A United Club (PMCO President's Club) I was told I needed to be flying BusinessFirst or Global First to have access. The club associates even called over to the United Club in Terminal C (PMUA Red Carpet Club) to confirm at my request. The other lounge confirmed this is true.

I submitted email feedback to the Mileage Plus Premier Program and they told me to call United Club Customer Service. When I called today the person who answered the phone told me that it was always Continental's policy to only allow Premier 1K members traveling in BusinessFirst or Global First into the United Club and that the new United has adopted this policy.

Why would you takeaway this benefit to your most loyal customers even if traveling in economy? Anyone else experienced something similar?

Thanks,
Brian
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Its a Star Alliance benefit for star golds to get lounge access when traveling internationally. I don't see how UA can try to get out of it.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sorry to hear of such troubles in your travels. Probably rogue dragon ladies. From .bomb:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ralliance.aspx

Airport lounge access††† - available worldwide for you and a friend when you travel on an eligible Star Alliance member flight. Platinum Platinum

††† The following rules and restrictions apply:

When traveling on a Star Alliance member-operated flight, eligible Star Alliance Gold members (MileagePlus Premier 1K®, Premier Platinum and Premier Gold) may visit designated Star Alliance member lounges. United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold members may access any United Club or US Airways Club only when holding a boarding pass for a same-day international Star Alliance member flight. United Star Alliance Gold members may access other Star Alliance member lounges before any departure on a Star Alliance member airline flight.

Guests must enter with eligible Star Alliance Gold members (MileagePlus Premier 1K, Premier Platinum and Premier Gold) and must depart on a Star Alliance airline, though not necessarily on the same flight as the member. At some destinations, where no member carrier lounge is present, a contract lounge may be available. Star Alliance Gold members may access these facilities when traveling with a Star Alliance member airline that has an agreement with the contract lounge. The same rules and restrictions for member carrier lounge access apply to a contract lounge facility.

COMMENTS:
You might fare better w/ a printed copy of this portion of .bomb.

You should have had access - coming and going, on a cheap ticket or even an award ticket.

Before your incident, the worst that seemed to be happening was converting the lounges into international departure lounges... US Airways and some parts of UA's site hinted that some lounge access was only for international departures. The *A rules clearly state you should have access for any trip that involves an international flight.

You still have to have a ticket on a SA carrier departing that airport. If you flew back to the US on, e.g., UA and connected w/ AA at IAD, then you're not entitled to lounge access at IAD as the SA lounges are generally not arrivals lounges.

Might write and complain, doubt it will do any good.

I used to complain, now figure what's the point, just enjoy my AA lounge passes, and look forward to IFL lounge access on future international AA flights.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:04 pm

Location: Kapalua, Maui- just paradise and Sun Valley, Idaho!!
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K .96MM (1MM this year-humm)
No offense, but since you are 1K, why not buy into the club annually? Per flight or stay it has to be very reasonable.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by beekatt
I travel United international economy frequently (mostly to NRT, TPE and LHR) and have always had United Club access as a Premier 1K member. Last week, at the Boston Logan Terminal A United Club (PMCO President's Club) I was told I needed to be flying BusinessFirst or Global First to have access. The club associates even called over to the United Club in Terminal C (PMUA Red Carpet Club) to confirm at my request. The other lounge confirmed this is true.

I submitted email feedback to the Mileage Plus Premier Program and they told me to call United Club Customer Service. When I called today the person who answered the phone told me that it was always Continental's policy to only allow Premier 1K members traveling in BusinessFirst or Global First into the United Club and that the new United has adopted this policy.

Why would you takeaway this benefit to your most loyal customers even if traveling in economy? Anyone else experienced something similar?

Thanks,
Brian
Where were you going that day? As a 1K without a club membership, you'll get access to the United Club only when you are traveling internationally that day. Does not matter whether you are flying in C or F.

If you were flying internationally in Y and were prevented from accessing the club by a poorly trained employee, you'll want to press the issue with United as you should be entitled to some goodwill miles.

Originally Posted by lapeter
No offense, but since you are 1K, why not buy into the club annually? Per flight or stay it has to be very reasonable.
Personally, I would never buy a United Club membership. Most of my travel is international, such that I would get access by virtue of my 1K status. Besides, most of the United Clubs I have been to are rather dumpy, especially down here at IAD.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 26, 2012 at 4:13 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Thanks,
Brian
What was your itinerary on the date of travel?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium

Thanks,
Brian
That Sucks... but as I 1K I would expect that you'd be a bit more familiar with the benefits of *G and fought them on it?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
What was your itinerary on the date of travel?
Yep had that 1 time @ IAD was going JFK-IAD-LAX overnighting then LAX-NRT when I tried getting in @ IAD (nothing to lose) I showed my LAX-NRT BP and my F IAD-LAX. She said since LAX-NRT is the next day I cant get in today then she said However I can make exceptions and Please go in and relax
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by lapeter
Most of my flights are international so I don't really need to spend the money on a United Club membership. It doesn't seem worth it. I am 1K because of the miles, not segments. I travel to Asia from Boston about 6x/year and to UK about 3x/year. Each flight to TPE is about 17,000 miles rt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.