Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Archive thread: Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am sure this has been cover e in this thread but I am having difficulty locating the post.

The question is:

A lifetime GS designates a 1 MM Flyer (lifetime Gold) as the companion, what status would the companion of the lifetime Gold (now as a GS based on the companion benefit) get?
I can confirm that MM companion status does daisy chain. I know of a couple of people who's companion's companion's companion's companion is GS because the first person in the chain is GS.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
I can confirm that MM companion status does daisy chain. I know of a couple of people who's companion's companion's companion's companion is GS because the first person in the chain is GS.
Wow, I need to make friends with a 4MM's companion's companion's companion's .....
Flying Machine, DELee and 8MiHi like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 3:21 am

I suspect the companions have quite a few "friends" already.
Old May 28, 2022, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Just to report, I had my companion request a welcome kit or at least the handle wrap from 1kvoice. It got forwarded to the MP desk and she go this reply: "Due to a limited supply of these items, they are only available to members who have flown the calendar year Premier 1K qualification requirements."
I'll have to search from some old luggage tags so she has something. I use to have so many and threw them out.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It'll be interesting to see if they allow my wife to use her son as a companion. Different last name, different address, different country.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:46 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It'll be interesting to see if they allow my wife to use her son as a companion. Different last name, different address, different country.
Has not been a problem for my brother, but we do share a last name.

And I've changed my address from US to Canada (with proof at time UA required it that they accepted) and back a time or two over the last dozen years .....
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't think different last name or address are a problem at all. Not sure about different country, though - that costs UA extra money for postage.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
... Not sure about different country, though - that costs UA extra money for postage.
postage for what? No snail mail materials.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Perhaps if the sponsor is a 1K, the designee may want a 1K luggage handle ?
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Perhaps if the sponsor is a 1K, the designee may want a 1K luggage handle ?
(Thought about mentioning that, figured some one would eventually mention this corner case -- after all this FT )

Generally UA limited those to domestic based folks and only on request. Easy enough to block for non-domestic companions if that was a significant concern. The number of new non-domestic MMer companions is not a major deterrent. (the question was about non-domestic companions)
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Time for United to think about adding benefits to those who have flown more than 4 million.

Originally Posted by eng3
Wow, I need to make friends with a 4MM's companion's companion's companion's .....
not just a friend….it needs to be the best friend be considered.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
My nominee (while UA was mailing them) received Hemispheres magazines, as an example.

Edit: Different address/last name.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 9, 2022 at 2:23 pm
Old Jul 9, 2022, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My nominee (while UA was mailing them) received Hemispheres magazines, as an example.
Indeed, my wife and I both got copies, at the same address... 🤷‍♂️
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by jsloan
Same for my son and I
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:18 pm

Edit: Different address/last name.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Same for my son and I
UA was not mailing the magizine, the publisher was -- this was not done at UA's expense. It was done to get the eyeballs on the magazine for maintaining advertising rates
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32571953-post53.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32599001-post87.html
INK Publishing is paying the shipping costs for the magazine, which is only being sent to U.S.-based members with top airline elite status.
So we are back to the point, there is no present cost reason for not allowing non-domestic MMer companions, due to added mailing costs, correct?
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.