Million Miler companion benefit

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or www.mileageplus.com/thanksamillion

First companion choice section takes place immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.

While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed.

The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

See Million Miler program for more
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 3, 12, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
So in the interim, will checkin staff honor a printed copy of the Approved confirmation of my wifes nomination from the website?

I am 1K and she has an award ticket 3/4, but is only member status in her own right. So she would only get E seating and have to pay for luggage otherwise!
Old Mar 3, 12, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by tkflyer View Post
I am 1K and she has an award ticket 3/4, but is only member status in her own right. So she would only get E seating and have to pay for luggage otherwise!
In other threads Shannon (UA Insider) has offered to try to help out in situations like this. However, it may be asking a wee bit too much to work this out for tomorrow considering what today is. But hey, send a PM and see if you get lucky!

For the record, while there have been lots of issues with this merger in general, Shannon and that team rock! Really glad they're here!

- CatHerder
Old Mar 3, 12, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Thanks CatHerder, I will.

Ref merger, whilst various website have been a little erratic with info, so far so good. I am flying PVG to LAS today, so will post findings.
Old Mar 6, 12, 11:10 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1P MM
My wife and I both made MM last year. Seems there are two benefits: Gold for life and ability to nominate a spouse at the same address. So essentially, we only get one of the bennies. Is anyone else in a similar boat? The ability to nominate would be useful if we could nominate our daughter (at same address), but it seems the T&C language has gotten more strict and specifically excludes anyone who is not a spouse/significant other.
Old Mar 6, 12, 11:23 am

Programs: UA, 1K
Congratulations to both of you on making MM. There is a lengthy discussion of this issue in the "CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012" thread.

Basically, the new scheme penalizes such flyers. We are in the same boat: both of us are 1K MM. We lost our annual CR-1s and can't even nominate our son (at the same address) for status.
Our strategy going forward: Split our flying between UA and other airlines. One spouse sticks with UA, while the other flies a different airline and achieves status there, while still keeping the UA inherited one. Doubles your chances of upgrades and your options when flying together.
Old Mar 7, 12, 10:04 am

Agreed. The new system is substantially less rewarding to MMers. After years of loyalty to United, I finally hit the MM mark late 2011. Bad timing for me since the value is so limited. My dad is about to hit 2MM and is pissed that he won't be getting lifetime Red Carpet, as he would have if he hit it a few months ago. Really foolish for United to alienate their most loyal fliers. I think the idea of splitting up loyalities between spouses is the best move going forward. Here is a website detailing the devaluation, which I agree with: http://millionmilersunited.com/
Old Mar 7, 12, 7:34 pm

I nominated my spouse in January. Her account sill only shows "Member".
Is this expected?
Old Mar 7, 12, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
I'm a 1K MM, trying to nominate my wife for matching 1K status in time for a late March trip to Hawaii with our 2 young children. It will substantially enhance our upgrade prospects if both myself and my wife are 1Ks. My wife and 2 children are currently premiers (silver). The Mileage Plus Service Center tells me that there is no way to change her status until after this trip. Reservations tells me there is nothing they can do to help until Mileage Plus changes her status. Is there anything that can be done to help us with this upcoming reservation? All suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!!
Old Mar 7, 12, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by ocn2ocn View Post
I'm a 1K MM, trying to nominate my wife for matching 1K status in time for a late March trip to Hawaii with our 2 young children. It will substantially enhance our upgrade prospects if both myself and my wife are 1Ks. My wife and 2 children are currently premiers (silver). The Mileage Plus Service Center tells me that there is no way to change her status until after this trip. Reservations tells me there is nothing they can do to help until Mileage Plus changes her status. Is there anything that can be done to help us with this upcoming reservation? All suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!!
Send a PM to UA Insider with the details.
Old Mar 7, 12, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by Air Houston View Post
Send a PM to UA Insider with the details.
Thanks for the quick response. How do you do that as I'm relatively new to Flyer Talk and have never done that before? Thanks again, much appreciated.
Old Mar 8, 12, 8:18 pm

Has anyone checked the spouse nomination web site:
http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...companion.aspx

This site is temporarily unavailable. Please check back in early April to enroll your spouse or eligible significant other.
Old Mar 8, 12, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by uyflyer View Post
Congratulations to both of you on making MM. There is a lengthy discussion of this issue in the "CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012" thread.

Basically, the new scheme penalizes such flyers. We are in the same boat: both of us are 1K MM. We lost our annual CR-1s and can't even nominate our son (at the same address) for status.
Our strategy going forward: Split our flying between UA and other airlines. One spouse sticks with UA, while the other flies a different airline and achieves status there, while still keeping the UA inherited one. Doubles your chances of upgrades and your options when flying together.
UYFlyer: I totally agree with your logic and posted that on another thread. Wife and I are both 1mm. But I will easily make 1K this year and she will not. So, I nominate her as my companion, and she hangs on to 1K status for upgrades at the gate, etc., when when she if flying without me.

As for your other point, I also agree. I have sent wife on a mission to go for status on either DL or Virgin. Hell, she'll probably get a decent upgrade status match from DL. She is lifetime Plat with AA. I'm perennial EXP with AA, so we're covered there. Prompts us to use these other carriers more than we would have thought to since we get the extra perks of their status that we were never getting because we hardly ever flew them.

Sum up: UA is ill-advised to ignore 1mm spouses and leave them hanging. Their design encourages dual 1mm spouses to diversify and cover bases elsewhere. IMHO, UA is making one of the worst business decisions a company can make---encouraging your would-be customer to diversify and, thus, be a stronger consumer with other options and not be dependent on your repeat business through a FF program.
Old Mar 9, 12, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by nikleb View Post
I nominated my spouse in January. Her account sill only shows "Member".
Is this expected?

FYI for MM companions traveling soon...

I called Premier CS and in the auto system, cited significant other's MP#, then asked for "Mileage Plus", then asked for "agent" and "agent queue". No wait, got Jeffrey, and he set things straight for me. I'm traveling on 3/11 and I told him my status was shown as approved after nominations in Oct/Nov. I explained we were both told in Jan that it would be effective 3/3 and that it has now been pushed back and we were concerned because we booked all these tickets for me to travel by myself and I didn't want to pay bag fees, etc. He put me on hold, clickity clack, and in 5 minutes, changed my status to reflect my significant other's for the MM companion sponsorship.

DONE deal!!! I'm so thrilled. So, if anyone is in the same boat, try that. HTH!!!
Old Mar 9, 12, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Per the GS materials I received it appears GS MM can nominate someone to GS. That seems a bit rich to me and will only further grow the GS pool.
Old Mar 9, 12, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz View Post
Per the GS materials I received it appears GS MM can nominate someone to GS. That seems a bit rich to me and will only further grow the GS pool.
Does your packet say, in writing, that the GS level will be granted? Or does your packet say something about 'matching your lifetime status' for your spouse? I'm asking because I'm MM1K and after talking with UA rep, I firmly believe that my husband will get star gold, not 1K... so he will be matched to my 'lifetime status' not to my 'current level'. I'll be anxious to see what actually happens when those credentials get mailed out to nominees in late March/early April (according to rep).

I've sent email(s) to 1k voice and gotten the response about lifetime status matching, which is NOT the same as 'current level' matching. The language that used to be on the UA site is (of course) gone... the 'current level' language, that is.

Time will tell...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: