FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Million Miler companion benefit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1293194-million-miler-companion-benefit.html)

mechteach Jan 2, 2022 6:37 pm

Million Miler companion benefit

Has anyone changed companions, and had it take a few days into the new year to take effect? I changed from my daughter to my son for this year (and searching my email, I see I did that on Nov. 4), and his status update has still not happened.

Since we were flying on 1/1 (and again today on 1/2), I wrote to 1kvoice to try to get it sorted, but received an utterly unhelpful form-letter-type response back (along the lines of "if you are having trouble with a booking, please call 1-800..."). I'm trying to decide if I should call in about it or wait for a bit. The MM companion website says the change will be made in the "first week of January," so I'm happy to wait, but I don't to wait and then have them say I've taken too long to let them know about the error!

WineCountryUA Jan 2, 2022 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by mechteach (Post 33865227)
Has anyone changed companions, and had it take a few days into the new year to take effect?
.... The MM companion website says the change will be made in the "first week of January," so I'm happy to wait, but I don't to wait and then have them say I've taken too long to let them know about the error!

The first week or two has been the practice in the past and not 1st January.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jan 2, 2022 7:30 pm

Has anyone changed companions, and had it take a few days into the new year to take effect? I changed from my daughter to my son for this year (and searching my email, I see I did that on Nov. 4), and his status update has still not happened.

Since we were flying on 1/1 (and again today on 1/2), I wrote to 1kvoice to try to get it sorted, but received an utterly unhelpful form-letter-type response back (along the lines of "if you are having trouble with a booking, please call 1-800..."). I'm trying to decide if I should call in about it or wait for a bit. The MM companion website says the change will be made in the "first week of January," so I'm happy to wait, but I don't to wait and then have them say I've taken too long to let them know about the error!

...and you might have to call when MileagePlus center is open, because 1K agents can't do anything in that respect - they have to get in touch w/ MP service center, which (I believe) isn't staffed 24 hours/day. Just looked - they claim they're staffed 7am-midnight 7 days a week, but not sure how Covid might have affected their response time / staffing. I'm thinking a lot of them can work from home.

mechteach Jan 2, 2022 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33865261)
The first week or two has been the practice in the past and not 1st January.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 33865339)
...and you might have to call when MileagePlus center is open, because 1K agents can't do anything in that respect - they have to get in touch w/ MP service center, which (I believe) isn't staffed 24 hours/day. Just looked - they claim they're staffed 7am-midnight 7 days a week, but not sure how Covid might have affected their response time / staffing. I'm thinking a lot of them can work from home.

Thanks to both of you, for the reassurance and the info on where to direct my query. That's very helpful! I'm stateside again for a while, so it will be easier to call during normal US business hours if nothing changes in a week or so!

PanAmWT Jan 2, 2022 9:05 pm

I called in October to change my companion from one son to another. I then called late November to reconfirm that the switch is indeed in the system. As of today, the switch has not happened. I assume it will be next week.

porciuscato Jan 2, 2022 11:12 pm

I switch MM companions every year or so. I feel like the switch usually takes place around Jan 5 or 6.

Buzzman Jan 3, 2022 12:29 am

I had a problem with this yesterday when my newly designated companion did not have status for a flight from SNA - IAH.. I called and after a half hour on the phone where the agent called MP, it turns out that there is a systemwide IT problem with making the change and they are hoping to have it resolved by the end of the week... little consolation for travelers during this first week of January...

WineCountryUA Jan 3, 2022 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Buzzman (Post 33865861)
.. little consolation for travelers during this first week of January...

UA does warn about this

Yes, any change to your companion must be completed by November 30 of the preceding year and will take effect the following calendar year (during the first week of January).

mechteach Jan 3, 2022 6:04 pm

Just checked, and the status just updated. Phew. They also changed the mileage multiplier for our flights on 1/1 and 1/2 to the 1k level for him, so all it "cost" us is my giving him my free snackbox. ;-)

kirkwoodj Jan 3, 2022 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by mechteach (Post 33868445)
Just checked, and the status just updated. Phew. They also changed the mileage multiplier for our flights on 1/1 and 1/2 to the 1k level for him, so all it "cost" us is my giving him my free snackbox. ;-)

:)

claaaaaydavis Feb 25, 2022 9:47 am

I just made 1MM as a 1K and United is saying that my companion does not get plus points unless they earn them on their own. Have others experienced this?

ll22949 Feb 25, 2022 9:51 am

Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis (Post 34024129)
I just made 1MM as a 1K and United is saying that my companion does not get plus points unless they earn them on their own. Have others experienced this?

That has been my experience. They only get the same Mileage Plus status I earned. To get plus points, they would have to fly to earn them.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 25, 2022 9:51 am

That is correct. No plus points for companions unless they earn them via their own flying. It's always been that way. You're welcome to share yours with your companion :)

Weyland Yutani Corp Feb 25, 2022 9:53 am

Correct, no +P for companions.

akhibhag May 9, 2022 8:51 pm

How soon does the spouse get the status of MM

I am within 2k miles of my million miler status and hope to achieve the milestone next week. My spouse has a trip planned a week later. How soon does United award the status to the spouse ( or the person you nominate) ? She has a long international flight and wouldn't mind being able to check in at the GS lobby in Chicago all by herself 😀