Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Archive thread: Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by akhibhag
I am within 2k miles of my million miler status and hope to achieve the milestone next week. My spouse has a trip planned a week later. How soon does United award the status to the spouse ( or the person you nominate) ? She has a long international flight and wouldn't mind being able to check in at the GS lobby in Chicago all by herself 😀
IIRC - It took us a few weeks after qualifying (and the ability to designate someone was available) -- be patient and congratulations! I've made 1MM miles / status with three airlines and all of it was brutal..... One tip -- once you've made it call the GS line and ask how to expedite....
Old May 9, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I am within 2k miles of my million miler status and hope to achieve the milestone next week. My spouse has a trip planned a week later. How soon does United award the status to the spouse ( or the person you nominate) ? She has a long international flight and wouldn't mind being able to check in at the GS lobby in Chicago all by herself 😀
It was pretty much instant when I tried it about two weeks ago
Flight landed, about an hour or two later, I had some down time in my layover and checked that I indeed reached MM status. Then went to the page to select my "nominee". Then logged into my "nominee's" account and saw the new status reflected.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You should be able to register the companion within hours or day of the flight completion. And the companions status should be active in days or less after that.
Old May 13, 2022, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Let's say my gf and I get married. She doesn't adopt my surname, but I nominate her for status. Could I invite scrutiny from UA? Is anyone else in this situation?
Old May 13, 2022, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Let's say my gf and I get married. She doesn't adopt my surname, but I nominate her for status. Could I invite scrutiny from UA?
No; you'll be fine. UA is only going to scrutinize things that are nearly obvious fraud. People at the same address, whose travel patterns likely overlap regularly? Not an issue.

Is anyone else in this situation?
Billions of people worldwide.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Let's say my gf and I get married. She doesn't adopt my surname, but I nominate her for status. Could I invite scrutiny from UA? Is anyone else in this situation?
I wouldn’t worry about it at all!
lsquare likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 1:24 am

But I'll say this, if marrying you means I get status for life, I'd consider taking your surname
SPN Lifer, lsquare, DELee and 1 others like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
But I'll say this, if marrying you means I get status for life, I'd consider taking your surname
A true FlyerTalker!

David
DJ_Iceman and lsquare like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
A true FlyerTalker!

David
A true FlyerTalker would have asked what status level first.
Old May 13, 2022, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by jsloan
a true flyertalker would have asked what status level first.
🤣🤣🤣
Old May 14, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: UN 1K MM, Marriott-LT TitanElite, Hyatt Glob; HH-Gold
When I married my husband, I did not take his last name. I had zero issue making him my MM companion status match. I'm sure your marriage will last, however, if you needed to change the companion for any reason, you need to let United know by Nov 30th for update the following year.
lsquare and 8MiHi like this.
Old May 14, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
My wife is Japanese -- and we live in Tokyo and NYC -- she did not take my name - for many reasons -- and UA could care less.....
cesco.g, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 3 others like this.
Old May 14, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
The name and address issue is well as established earlier within this thread . UA does not recognize any of those issues. If you’re an MM or a new MM I would not worry whom you sponsor as your companion
cesco.g and Kacee like this.
Old May 22, 2022, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am sure this has been cover e in this thread but I am having difficulty locating the post.

The question is:

A lifetime GS designates a 1 MM Flyer (lifetime Gold) as the companion, what status would the companion of the lifetime Gold (now as a GS based on the companion benefit) get?
Old May 22, 2022, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am sure this has been cover e in this thread but I am having difficulty locating the post.

The question is:

A lifetime GS designates a 1 MM Flyer (lifetime Gold) as the companion, what status would the companion of the lifetime Gold (now as a GS based on the companion benefit) get?
GS.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.