Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Archive thread: Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I have been over 1MM for 6 years now. That has absolutely never been my experience. Every time (and I do switch every year), the previous companion maintains status until Feb 1. The new companions usually gets their upgraded status around January 5.
The January 1 drop in status occurred in January 2015. Is it possible they have gotten more flexible since then?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
The January 1 drop in status occurred in January 2015. Is it possible they have gotten more flexible since then?
I didn't check before then, but I can tell you that every single year for the last 6 years, the MP card for my companion (or the App in the last couple of years) says "Valid through 1/20XX" on it. It would be a hard case for them to have cards that say that and not honor it.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I didn't check before then, but I can tell you that every single year for the last 6 years, the MP card for my companion (or the App in the last couple of years) says "Valid through 1/20XX" on it. It would be a hard case for them to have cards that say that and not honor it.
I would not use that as the metric of when it is discontinued, due to the special nature of the gifted status when you revoke / replace with another individual. We need some actual experiences.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I would not use that as the metric of when it is discontinued, due to the special nature of the gifted status when you revoke / replace with another individual. We need some actual experiences.
And I provided actual experience in the post above: I have swapped companions 6 years in a row; every single time, the old companion retained status until the end of January,
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and Dyce like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
And I provided actual experience in the post above: I have swapped companions 6 years in a row; every single time, the old companion retained status until the end of January,
Sorry if I misread, but between the two earlier posts. it was not clear (to me) if the evidence was the card dates or something else
Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
If you do not make a change by November 30 your companion is renewed.
And can they remove you as a companion after that date or it sticks for the full year after that? Is there any way to know if someone has kept you as their companion by calling in? or do you just wait for status to fall off 2/28?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
And can they remove you as a companion after that date or it sticks for the full year after that?
Not aware of any way
Is there any way to know if someone has kept you as their companion by calling in? ...
asking the sponsor, my guess, for privacy reasons, UA would not inform you of the actions of the sponsor
or do you just wait for status to fall off 2/28?
UA status drops occur on 1 February annually
Old Nov 11, 2022, 12:45 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Last year my newly appointed companion was traveling on the 2nd of January and did not have it designated. I called United and they said they were working on it. It did not actually occur until around the 6th of January.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Buzzman
Last year my newly appointed companion was traveling on the 2nd of January and did not have it designated. I called United and they said they were working on it. It did not actually occur until around the 6th of January.
Do you happened to know when the prior designate lost their status?
Old Nov 12, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
No, I wasn't particularly interested in that detail, only when the new designee achieved status
Old Nov 21, 2022, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bmw303
trying to change companion to my son. Addresses match exactly. I certify that he meets the t&cs and get this error: ""based on the information you provided, the person you elected is not currently eligible to be selected as your Million Miler Companion."

what gives?
Originally Posted by Kacee
What's changed recently (and very obviously) is that UA is now at least making a show of enforcing the companion rules as written. In the past, there has been absolutely no such effort.
Originally Posted by rowenb
Yesterday I tried naming a companion for the first time, naming my spouse. Our MP accounts have different mailing addresses. I got a message, asking me to confirm that my spouse is truly eligible under the program terms. I clicked "yes", as we do in fact share the same house even though our MP accounts show different addresses. My saying "yes" was good enough for United, and her companion status was approved even though I didn't actually update either account's address to match the other account.
Originally Posted by Counsellor
And the "same home address" has not been enforced for years. As others say, it seems the site is broken so you might as well call Mileage Plus and ask them to look into it.
Is United enforcing the "Same Address" rule now?

What about current MM nominations that the nominator has different home address from the nominee?
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Did united process million miler companion changes for 2023 yet? My dad called on Nov 30th ‘22 to change his companion to me, and they said it’d get updated first week of Jan but I still don’t see the status on my account.

Should I try calling in?
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:26 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by ChiCityFlyer
Did united process million miler companion changes for 2023 yet? My dad called on Nov 30th ‘22 to change his companion to me, and they said it’d get updated first week of Jan but I still don’t see the status on my account.

Should I try calling in?
I guess if anyone should inquire it would be the sponsor your dad.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
In my case, I did this online in November and it failed due to not having the same address. After that is fixed, it went through and my son got my status on 1/1/23.
ContinentalFan and PanAmWT like this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 6:09 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ChiCityFlyer

Should I try calling in?
Mine worked. I nominated my 19 year old daughter (who sadly still lives with me!) and it processed 1/1/23...
United747 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.