Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Can't wait for the rest of the report. I've been trying to convince Mrs. greg99 to take a trek south, and if this TR will be like any of your others, this will definitely serve as encouragement.

Greg
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:16 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I thought I didn't like to sit still. Thanks for taking us on your journey again!

Originally Posted by SFO777
Wines? OK, there is no confusing AA wines with EK, MH or even BA for the matter. A wine list and wine tasting list. Not sure what the point it since they are the same wines.

And a breakfast menu to fill in like hotel room service. Seems a little tacky but I guess it helps determine who wants breakfast and who doesn't.

I believe the concept here is, in true Macabus style, you're supposed to have 5 wine glasses on the table at the same time with the card as the placemat so you don't mix them up.

Swiss Business also used the "room service check sheet "for breakfast on our Nairobi Zurich flight in November. I guess they think it's efficient enough for their staff to keep things organized.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:32 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
IST lounge for another insane 6 hours TK layover, and here is when SFO777 comes to rescue me. I'm seriously thinking to skip yours, SHF and Seat 2A TRs at home, keeping them jealously for lounge and IFE purpose.
Waiting the follow up, wish you and Princess a great 2014 to be ridden at this TR pace.
Haha Forrest Bump, only 6 Hours
I'm not sure anyone can finish my latest TR in that time span, might need to download it a.la PDF version and reading on a non-wifi plane

Safe travels to 2014

For the starter, I went with Thai Chicken with grilled five spice pineapple, watermelon and Asian style mint dressing... wonderful.

Excellent salad although dressing tossed would have been nice, instead of drizzled on top.

All in all, a surprisingly, indeed shockingly excellent meal. Not impressed with any of the wines although the one I did try, the Antu Ninquen Syrah was passable. But while the food was excellent, the service was not well paced and seemingly rushed. The old battle ax on AD aisle seemed to think that she needed to deliver each course within 30 seconds of removing the previous course. Jeez, is it that difficult to have someone with restaurant experience spend an hour with your FAs.
SFO777 strikes yet again ^^^
Happy New Year!!!

That appetizer shows pretty well even with a small catering budget, all you need is creativity and not always Balik Salmon or Caviar to have a good appetizer

Did they do away with the salad cart? They always did toss the salad next to you while it was a 762/772 F, been years... since I've done 772 F though.

I've been arguing/discussing that service issue with Mama SHF, I guess it's all depends on the passenger.
Both of us have been saying we hate those 6.5 - 9 hour red-eyes, you can either sleep/eat, but can't really do both.
Some case, she prefers J>F just to get more sleep.
11+ Hours flight is always F preferred

F is always going to be a 2-3 hours meal service, and only 9 3/4 flight hours, it probably wasn't a super bad thing to speed the service up a bit for extra snooze time for the pax.
By the looks of the crew, they probably try to give you 6 hours sleep, both meals include takeoff/descent, which I think would be a good performance for a shortish 3 Class F flight like

However if your flight was a TPAC, then it would probably be annoying as hell since it's way longer of a flight

Your 2nd Meal (Breakfast) looks like 100% same as those on AA TPAC Business
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Very cheap desert menu (cheap ice cream) unlike european airlines which offer real desert.

Last edited by NA-Flyer; Dec 30, 2013 at 2:29 am
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓

Isn't that illegal in this country? Cuban...Hmm..

Do you know how much does it cost? I don't think AMEX will do that for free...
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by garykung
Isn't that illegal in this country? Cuban...Hmm..
Hmmm. I had the same thought
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
I'm in Buenos Aires now and it is unbelievably hot down here. Weather gets better in 2 or 3 days. I hope you enjoy you trip ^
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:35 am
Suspended

Nice report --

- the champagne seems to price around $25 and the Pine Ridge $15 for a bottle -- and the Antu is under $20.

All in all while I think AA is 'attempting' to step up its F, these seem really weak unless i am pricing the wines incorrectly.

Just looking at an EK J trip report puts the AA F menu to shame.

If AA truly does sell some F pax (outside of deeply discounted corporate fares), it would be great to see them actually get someone who knows what they are talking about to advise them -- may I suggest to Parker/Kirby they hire SFO777 as AA's 'First Class Consumer Ombudsman' @:-)
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Nice report --

- the champagne seems to price around $25 and the Pine Ridge $15 for a bottle -- and the Antu is under $20.

All in all while I think AA is 'attempting' to step up its F, these seem really weak unless i am pricing the wines incorrectly.

If AA truly does sell some F pax (outside of deeply discounted corporate fares), it would be great to see them actually get someone who knows what they are talking about to advise them -- may I suggest to Parker/Kirby they hire SFO777 as AA's 'First Class Consumer Ombudsman' @:-)
A few random comments:
(1) Nice report. I'm surprised that BA F is worse than this. On the other hand, I haven't been on a BA plane since 1981.
(2) I'm quite familiar with the "room service" breakfast cards, and they make a lot of sense, given that the FA can have the meal ready and let you sleep longer. However, the offerings are paltry. In LAN's J cabina, it is a quite extensive menu re: what sort of beverages, breads, spreads, sweeteners for your beverages, etc.
(3) The wine list. Oh the poor wine list. This is not an F wine list. That said, I've had NV Moutarde and it is delicious - I'd expect the vintage one to be better, and it is probably a great value for the airline and a very good product to serve. The rest of the list is weak. Price doesn't necessarily = quality, but I drink a lot better in LAN's J cabin (and some of their wines are at a similar price point).
(4) "Ask about our premium turndown service" is tacky, on a menu, in an F cabin. Not only should turndown service be standard in an F cabin (and not premium), it should just be offered. Why should you have to ask?

All in all, this looks substantially better than my last (2 years ago, before things even slid further) UA F flight. As far as "battle ax" crews, I find the senior crews to either be the best or the worst. I don't fear them
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A few random comments:

(2) I'm quite familiar with the "room service" breakfast cards, and they make a lot of sense, given that the FA can have the meal ready and let you sleep longer. However, the offerings are paltry. In LAN's J cabina, it is a quite extensive menu re: what sort of beverages, breads, spreads, sweeteners for your beverages, etc.
(3) The wine list. Oh the poor wine list. This is not an F wine list. That said, I've had NV Moutarde and it is delicious - I'd expect the vintage one to be better, and it is probably a great value for the airline and a very good product to serve. The rest of the list is weak. Price doesn't necessarily = quality, but I drink a lot better in LAN's J cabin (and some of their wines are at a similar price point).
2- My thoughts exactly. It looked like the choice was 'chicken' or 'chicken' so to speak. Somebody saw this being done on another carrier and thought it would be a great addition to AA F 'amenities' but then blew it by making the choices so limited.

3.- Not a wine expert, but I was surprised/shocked that the 'retail' prices for the inflight F wine list was so low -- and then to offer a 'tasting.'

Both of the above show me that the past regime that created all this 'marketing/communications' bluster was more focused on PR than product. It's shocking that AA can't make a run at offering a World Class F product on some key routes. I can't imagine it would be high on the Parker/Kirby list - however they do seem pretty attuned to throwing out stuff that engages the work force -- i.e. - choose the tail paint; get rid of executive parking. Having a 'real' world class F product would certainly be a halo if they do want a premium carrier. And with 5-star Service at their key gateways they certainly could significantly UP the ground experience without much incremental cost. In fact they could probably show ROI if offering 5 Star service to F pax increases paid ticket sales. That said, until they ax F on the 777s there are probably too many upgraders floating around the system to make it work effectively.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DCAcubsfan
For 1020 calories and 24g of saturated fat, that better be one damn good sandwich,
LOL. Now I'm starting to feel guilty about it.

Originally Posted by LM225
Did either of you try any services at the spa?
Really looking forward to this one, as Buenos Aires is high on our list of places to visit soon. Enjoy your trip!
No spa this time. Thanks LM225.

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
IST lounge for another insane 6 hours TK layover, and here is when SFO777 comes to rescue me. I'm seriously thinking to skip yours, SHF and Seat 2A TRs at home, keeping them jealously for lounge and IFE purpose.
Waiting the follow up, wish you and Princess a great 2014 to be ridden at this TR pace.
Ha! Thanks very much Forrest Bump.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Happy New Year SFO777. Looking forward to another great TR!
And Happy New Year to you. Thanks Madone59.

Originally Posted by ZFW-ATC
Up Next: Pleasantly surprised by AA's International Flagship Service. They are really trying, but it's tough to teach refined Asian/Gulf service subtleties to a NA cabin crew. But all in all, even with old First, food, service and crew were worlds better than BA First.

You are killing me.. Two weeks until BA A380 F and I'm still second guessing my decision. But I am going to be optimistic.
Eric
I'm sure it will be fine since I won't be on your flight.

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
I am still gutted that BA did not deliver to a standard (I am talking about the CC comment rather than a tech 380 which can happen with any carrier) that we know they are capable of and you expected on your little sojourn before Christmas.
It is funny because I would not personally touch a NA carrier long haul at all in a premium cabin (as you hinted at also) and would class BA in a better league than DL, AA et al.
I do fear that in the future for a truly proper F or J experience ME3 carriers will be the only option.
As always SFO777 a fantastic read and one that makes me very jealous of your adventures.
Thanks very much PoincianaKings. Yeah, it's tough to beat the Gulf and Asian carriers in First.

Originally Posted by theshaun
Another SFO777 TR. It's like Christmas morning all over again!!!
Thank you theshaun.

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
A TR report just before the New Year by SFO777! I feel like a kid on Christmas morning~!!
LOL. Thanks LDNConsultant.

Originally Posted by Tony3021990
I'm dreading my BA F back from LHR to ORD.....but I really want to see for myself.
To be honest.....AA has been extremely positive for me flying in domestic F....I think they're trying they're hardest with International F......it really comes down to the crew....if you have a crew just having a bad day....then even emirates or Qatar F will be crappy
Isn't DFW - EZE on the 772 for senior FA's?
As long as I'm not on your BA flight, it might be OK.

Originally Posted by aajones
SFO777, I am a long-time fan of your trip reports. Funny coincidence, I, along with not-quite-mrs AAJones, arrive in Mendoza on 12/31 for NYE, and then a couple of days later head to Santiago before pointing south to Patagonia/Tierra del Fuego. We too will be at the Park Hyatt for some of the time (and are also taking DFW-EZE in AA F).
Thanks aajones. We arrive at the PH late PM on 01JAN and depart the morning of 04JAN. How about a drink?

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'm eagerly awaiting details in F to EZE. (I'm currently booked on my first int'l F trip ever on AA in a few months.)
If was a lot better than I anticipated.

Originally Posted by greg99
Can't wait for the rest of the report. I've been trying to convince Mrs. greg99 to take a trek south, and if this TR will be like any of your others, this will definitely serve as encouragement.
Greg
Thank you greg99. So far so good. The food and wine have been amazing.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I thought I didn't like to sit still. Thanks for taking us on your journey again!
I believe the concept here is, in true Macabus style, you're supposed to have 5 wine glasses on the table at the same time with the card as the placemat so you don't mix them up.
Swiss Business also used the "room service check sheet "for breakfast on our Nairobi Zurich flight in November. I guess they think it's efficient enough for their staff to keep things organized.
Thanks worldtraveller73. I guess, but the wine tasting card was too small to comfortably hold all five glasses.

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
SFO777 strikes yet again ^^^
Happy New Year!!!
That appetizer shows pretty well even with a small catering budget, all you need is creativity and not always Balik Salmon or Caviar to have a good appetizer
Did they do away with the salad cart? They always did toss the salad next to you while it was a 762/772 F, been years... since I've done 772 F though.
I've been arguing/discussing that service issue with Mama SHF, I guess it's all depends on the passenger.
Both of us have been saying we hate those 6.5 - 9 hour red-eyes, you can either sleep/eat, but can't really do both.
Some case, she prefers J>F just to get more sleep.
11+ Hours flight is always F preferred
F is always going to be a 2-3 hours meal service, and only 9 3/4 flight hours, it probably wasn't a super bad thing to speed the service up a bit for extra snooze time for the pax.
By the looks of the crew, they probably try to give you 6 hours sleep, both meals include takeoff/descent, which I think would be a good performance for a shortish 3 Class F flight like
However if your flight was a TPAC, then it would probably be annoying as hell since it's way longer of a flight
Your 2nd Meal (Breakfast) looks like 100% same as those on AA TPAC Business
Thanks Francis. Yeah, no cart for the salad... delivered straight from the galley. Understand your thinking on getting the meal over so we can sleep but this was comical. At least a minute or so before bringing out the next course. Maybe they thought they were being incredible responsible and efficient.

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Very cheap desert menu (cheap ice cream) unlike european airlines which offer real desert.
Agree. The ice cream is OK but would it kill you to spend $30 for a proper dessert from a patisserie?

Originally Posted by garykung
Isn't that illegal in this country? Cuban...Hmm.. Do you know how much does it cost? I don't think AMEX will do that for free...
LOL on the Cuban. No idea about the cost of the spa menu items.

Originally Posted by heramato
I'm in Buenos Aires now and it is unbelievably hot down here. Weather gets better in 2 or 3 days. I hope you enjoy you trip ^
Thanks heramato. Unbelievably hot indeed, but what's worse is the high humidity. This was from last night. For those that aren't into C, that's 102 degrees F at 10.43PM. Wow.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Nice report --
Totally agree on the wines. It's not difficult to find really good wines in the $25-$30 range. Where do these so-called "experts" find this swill? And do they really think this is good wine??
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: Meh
Wow, that truly does not look like F class, the IFE, plastic cups, food. SFO - I supported you fully on the BA issues previously, but I would take BA every day of the week over that offering.

Simply put, F class Asia is excellent, Mid-East very close, certain Euro carriers very good, then the US carriers.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
No idea about the cost of the spa menu items.
The spa items are in fact free. The massage lasts 15 minutes.

And yes we are blessed to have yet another SFO777 trip report. Should be another good one.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:13 pm
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by stevie
Wow, that truly does not look like F class, the IFE, plastic cups, food. SFO - I supported you fully on the BA issues previously, but I would take BA every day of the week over that offering.

Simply put, F class Asia is excellent, Mid-East very close, certain Euro carriers very good, then the US carriers.
I agree! Though the food certainly looks like it is improving, ice cream sundaes for dessert and $25 bottles of bubbly is not first class
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gohima
I agree! Though the food certainly looks like it is improving, ice cream sundaes for dessert and $25 bottles of bubbly is not first class
Especially considering CX has Haagen Dazs in Y
(this was true as of September HKG-SFO)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.