carry on only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

carry on only

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
As frequent travelers we're all familiar with the top two reasons to avoid checked luggage: 1) the time spent waiting to retrieve it at baggage claim, and 2) the chance that it's lost or delayed by the airline. While these certainly are problems I think they are overblown in most travelers' minds.

From personal experience I know the longest I've ever waited at the luggage carousel for a bag was about 30 minutes. The average time is 10 or less. I know because I usually time it as a psychological experiment. Of course, on those rare occasions where I've waited 20-30 minute it has felt like an eternity. But that's the point of the psychology experiment. Subjective wait times routinely feel much longer, even an order of magnitude longer, than the actual wait times. And whether it's 10, 20, or even 30 minutes, usually that's not a major hit to my travel schedule.

As for concern #2, we know from DOT statistics that only 1% of bags are lost or delivered late. One percent seems like a reasonable risk to take in many cases. Especially when you consider the most common outcome in that 1% is that the bag is delayed, not actually lost. On a trip where I need to check a bag I pack while answering the question, "What if this checked bag gets delayed and I have to live on what's in my hand luggage for a day?"

Last edited by darthbimmer; Mar 2, 2015 at 5:33 pm Reason: grammar
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
The airline is a business. They are in the business to make money.
That they are, but I still have every right to disagree with it.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
As frequent travelers we're all familiar with the top two reasons to avoid checked luggage: 1) the time spent waiting to retrieve it at baggage claim, and 2) the chance that it's lost or delayed by the airline. While these are certainly problem I think they are overblown in most travelers' minds.

From personal experience I know the longest I've ever waited at the luggage carousel for a bag was about 30 minutes. The average time is 10 or less. I know because I usually time it as a psychological experiment. Of course, on those rare occasions where I've waited 20-30 minute it has felt like an eternity. But that's the point of the psychology experiment. Subjective wait times routinely feel much longer, even an order of magnitude longer, than the actual wait times. And whether it's 10, 20, or even 30 minutes, usually that's not a major hit to my travel schedule.

As for concern #2, we know from DOT statistics that only 1% of bags are lost or delivered late. One percent seems like a reasonable risk to take in many cases. Especially when you consider the most common outcome in that 1% is that the bag is delayed, not actually lost. On a trip where I need to check a bag I pack while answering the question, "What if this checked bag gets delayed and I have to live on what's in my hand luggage for a day?"
I don't even have to bold the important part of your post. You did it for me already.

The time you save when not checking bags is minor. If you are so cramped for time that 10-15 minutes is going to have an impact on your life, take an earlier flight.

Compare that with the hassle of lugging around a big bag, hoping the GA and FA don't size or weight check it, hoping you can get on the plane first so there is space, not caring how that impacts others who have carry on, lugging it down narrow aisles, trying to take it out of the bin when everyone on the plane stood up at once to leave, dragging it through the airport, then washing your clothes in the sink.

To save 10 minutes?????

I understand in some cases the concern for lost baggage. If you are going on a business trip and there is something critical for the success of that trip, you can't risk it being lost or even delayed. If that is the case and it's small, carry it on. It not, ship it via FedEx or UPS or something if you don't trust the airline.

Flying can be stressful as it is without adding the stress of turning yourself into a pack mule.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

I understand in some cases the concern for lost baggage. If you are going on a business trip and there is something critical for the success of that trip, you can't risk it being lost or even delayed. If that is the case and it's small, carry it on. It not, ship it via FedEx or UPS or something if you don't trust the airline.

Flying can be stressful as it is without adding the stress of turning yourself into a pack mule.
I agree with what you say, but sometimes even shipping via FedEx/UPS isn't an option. When traveling internationally, especially to developing countries, sometimes you just have to be a pack mule. As much as I would prefer to check or ship, I do have to carry on my equipment regardless. However, I certainly limit it to what I have to.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
For you, freedom from stress is checking a bag and not carrying too much stuff with you. For me, freedom from stress is not checking a bag and worrying about if/when I'll see my things again.

With respect to time, checking a bag means that I not only have to arrive at the airport earlier, but I also have to budget an unknown amount of time on the other end. I've been in the position of having to wait for a checked bag on the conveyor belt and hoping, praying, that it comes in time for me to catch the train home from SFO. We're talking about a train that runs once an hour, so if I miss it, it delays me by an hour, not a few minutes.

We're each doing what's best for us, it's just that what's best for each of us is completely different.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:40 pm

What's the ballpark cost of shipping a suitcase Fedex or UPS? Within the US or to Europe? There must be some special way to do it that is more cost effective than I know, because shipping even a small package by UPS to Europe is over $100.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by airplanegod
That they are, but I still have every right to disagree with it.
Of course, and you have the right to choose not to fly, or of course choose a loss making airline that might be trying to save cost in other areas, like maintenace, security, pilot training etc.

I gets me that if a fare was 220 and now 200 plus 20 for a checked bag, people find this a problem.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
To save 10 minutes?????
If you're flying NH around Asia or AS, sure. But only waiting 10 minutes for bags flying UA into DEN is a pure fantasy these days. Carrying on is the only way to get out of that airport in a predictable timeframe.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
Im not sure if its popular.

But quite a few times now, I have brought a carry on only and shopped for clothes at my destination. I donated them to charity (shops usually but I did once give them to a happy homeless guy on the street) before I flew home.
Originally Posted by Badenoch
This makes no sense unless shopping is your idea of fun. The main reason not to check bags is to save time. How much time does all that shopping take? Probably a lot more than if you'd waited for your checked luggage.
Well it makes no sense to you. But for the guy I gave my clothes to, it made his day. I chose not to waste $ on an airlines fuel lugging clothes half way across the world. I saved 160 quid by not checking in a bag on multiple legs with a LCC (AirAsia). And I give them to a good cause. My other half is addicted to shopping, spending money is a favourite past time, so when I go on holiday I HAVE to go along, might as well have something to shop for and clothes are crazy cheap in Asia anyway. So I saved money, always have brand new clothes to wear and some homeless guy is now rocking around looking fresh to death in some brand new threads.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:48 am

I think George Clooney said it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnNyUGhXTsw
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
Well it makes no sense to you. But for the guy I gave my clothes to, it made his day. I chose not to waste $ on an airlines fuel lugging clothes half way across the world. I saved 160 quid by not checking in a bag on multiple legs with a LCC (AirAsia). And I give them to a good cause. My other half is addicted to shopping, spending money is a favourite past time, so when I go on holiday I HAVE to go along, might as well have something to shop for and clothes are crazy cheap in Asia anyway. So I saved money, always have brand new clothes to wear and some homeless guy is now rocking around looking fresh to death in some brand new threads.
...and some sweatshop laborer earned another three cents (and shortened his/her life) and you contributed to the well-being of a billionaire somewhere. When it comes to things like this, sometimes there are no right answers. There is only what works for you.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
There is a perceived certain air of smugness among the carry-on only crowd but whatever. If I am traveling 5 or less days I usually just do a carry-on and a larger purse with personal items. Longer trips and vacation I'm checking bags. For instance especially for warm weather trips, I need to check the 4 or 5 sunscreens that I've packed. No way I'm paying exhorbanent resort fees for that stuff when I've gotten it cheaper at Amazon or the likes. Plus, I'm on vacation and I like clothes and shoes. I'm not wearing the same stuff over and over and certainly not washing clothes in the sink. And what's a few extra minutes waiting for bags. Not the end of the world. And yes I have had a bag broken into and had a bag get delayed. Still not the end of the world and hasn't deterred me. I also always still pack a carry-on even when checking so that I have a minimum of 1-2 days extra worth of clothes for the possible lost bag.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Kind of depends on the situation.

Business trip - yes, I'll do carry on only, even when going on 10 day trip to Asia, which is my typical trip.

Vacation with the family - with my wife and 2 kids, I'm definitely checking in bags. I'll try to board with only a backpack, and that's it.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'd say about 90% of trips I do, but I actually like checking bags every now and again. Especially when I'm flying back from a long trip. When I have a bag full of just dirty clothes I pray they lose my bag for a while. I'll take some compensation for something I won't miss for a few days.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by ladiflier
There is a perceived certain air of smugness among the carry-on only crowd but whatever.
I have never noticed that; however, I have noticed some of the
carry-on crowd struggling with their items and looking anything but smug.

Perhaps they have not discovered that going carry-on only also involves
a minimalist packing approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.