Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best antivirus protection to go for

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Braindrain
I always remember what my tech security guy said when I asked him which freebie AV program I should use - "You get what you pay for."
The Avira free version is actually pretty good if you want a simple scanning and realtime antivirus. The ads have gotten a bit more intrusive of late, though.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Avast free is top notch. It features functions only paid versions normally feature.
Emsisoft Anti Malware is IMHO best in class. Their Online Armor Firewall is also the best should you need that too. Both programs are also bundled in one Internet Security packet.
For a second opinion, I use Malwarebytes every week and ESET Online every month. (This is not real time protection!)

Other options depend if you want antivirus or Internet Security (= antivirus + firewall). Bitdefender also seems good, now with a special banking mode.
I dislike Avira because of the very annoying pop ups with ads.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:32 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Don't know about the best, but I'm told the Microsoft one is pretty good, and its free.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...tials-download
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Best antivirus protection to go for

MSE is crap. According to AV-comparatives.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by lensman
The Avira free version is actually pretty good if you want a simple scanning and realtime antivirus. The ads have gotten a bit more intrusive of late, though.
It was because of the super annoying pop-up ads that I uninstalled Avira and installed Avast. I even provided comments to that effect (which I never do) when I was directed to the Avira website after my uninstall. I had even tried the old methods of disabling the pop-up ads. They used to work in older versions but not with the current version.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:17 pm

I, as well as my university, use NOD32
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best anti-virus plan? Plan to buy a Mac. Problem solved.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Why does someone always post this tired, old response?

Also, knowing it won't work for the vast majority of computer users who have no plans to downgrade...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dream of a day when this is a bannable offense on Flyertalk.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond

Yeah, unless you really want fakeflash or flashback, or macdefender, or any of the others out there. There's a reason last year Apple dropped the line about not getting viruses, and it's got nothing to do with being nice to Microsoft.

The fact that most of the virus software is also available in a Mac Version probably means there are more people out there with common sense who don't believe Macs are immune from everything.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why does someone always post this tired, old response?
Because it is not tired or old, it is true and relevant. I don't have or need an anti-virus program on my Mac, and have no problems with virus'.

Also, knowing it won't work for the vast majority of computer users who have no plans to downgrade...
If that "vast majority" is using Windoze they have already experienced the downgrade, they just don't know it yet.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
I dream of a day when this is a bannable offense on Flyertalk.
Why are you so against alternative view points? We get it, you don't like Apple, or Apple users. Do you also wish to ban everyone who says that Android is the best thing since sliced bread? There are several around here who post that regularly.

It's a fact that Apple computers are less susceptible to viruses. Fact, plain and simple. The high end computer market has been captured by Apple. That is a clear indicator that people who want quality are willing to pay for it. Not sure why that bothers you. It's not your money.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
Yeah, unless you really want fakeflash or flashback, or macdefender, or any of the others out there. There's a reason last year Apple dropped the line about not getting viruses, and it's got nothing to do with being nice to Microsoft.

The fact that most of the virus software is also available in a Mac Version probably means there are more people out there with common sense who don't believe Macs are immune from everything.
The fact that it is available is no indication that it is needed, just that it is available. No one ever said immune, just that it is in a MUCH better position compared to the Windoze world.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

The fact that it is available is no indication that it is needed, just that it is available. No one ever said immune, just that it is in a MUCH better position compared to the Windoze world.
Apart from you...

Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

If that "vast majority" is using Windoze they have already experienced the downgrade, they just don't know it yet.
OSX is way behind Windows these days IMO. It may 'just work', but it's a pig to do even basic tasks. I'm not alone in this - another couple of guys I work with are getting rid of their Macbooks and replacing with Windows laptops.

Over the last couple of years, I've gone from having the following :-

Macbook
iMac
iPhone
iPad
Airport Extreme

to :-

Sony Vaio
Dell PC
Samsung S3
Nexus 7
Airport Extreme

I've not regretted changing any of them. Unfortunately, my S3 died this weekend, so I've gone back to the iPhone 4S as a backup. It's big step down - especially as the battery loses 30% of its charge an hour (on iOS 6.1.3). So, I only get around 3 hours before the battery is flat.

Apple really need to up their game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.