Blackberry 10 Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blackberry 10 Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I am sad that the Q10 won't hit carriers until April at the earliest.
It is a shame, although it gives me time to save up the pennies.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by ScottC
From the review on The Verge:

For the time being, I'll take that with a pinch of salt. My understanding of what they're launching with BB 10 is migration tools for Java (Android) and Objective C (iOS) so I'd expect upcoming apps to be native, if not as optimal as something coded directly for the platform.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I can't help but think that this is the end for Blackberry. Where they needed something amazing to draw defectors back from Android or iOS, all they seem to have delivered is "adequate", to put it generously.

They took way too long to deliver this disappointing update.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I can't help but think that this is the end for Blackberry. Where they needed something amazing to draw defectors back from Android or iOS, all they seem to have delivered is "adequate", to put it generously.

They took way too long to deliver this disappointing update.
I won't go so far as to call it disappointing - to create something from start to finish in 15 months is nothing short of amazing - but there is nothing in their offering that'll make me look at my device and feel the need to switch.

They won't survive off their loyalists alone, and need to get people to abandon their Android/iOS/Windows devices and make the switch. I just don't see it happening.

Microsoft has had two years to conquer a little bit of the market, and has much deeper pockets to keep that going with Windows Phone.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by ScottC
I won't go so far as to call it disappointing - to create something from start to finish in 15 months is nothing short of amazing - but there is nothing in their offering that'll make me look at my device and feel the need to switch.

They won't survive off their loyalists alone, and need to get people to abandon their Android/iOS/Windows devices and make the switch. I just don't see it happening.

Microsoft has had two years to conquer a little bit of the market, and has much deeper pockets to keep that going with Windows Phone.
Yes, but BB has more loyal fans than Windows phones. However, I share your skepticism of how it will progress, or not.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I have to feel they are playing to their weaknesses instead of their strengths with this launch. Yes - launching the touch screen device may be a way to show they aren't "rooted in the past", but frankly what keeps me dissatisfied with all the other options is the inadequate selection of physical qwerty phones out there. I have what I believe to be the best non blackberry qwerty device out there right now, the droid 4, and it pales in comparison to my old 9930. After finding the lousy release schedule for the Q10 device, I just today went on ebay and bought another 9930 to replace the one I gave to a coworker. Blackberry has and does make the best device for communication bar none, so launching with the glass slab is sure a disappointment.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Yes, but BB has more loyal fans than Windows phones. However, I share your skepticism of how it will progress, or not.
Without a doubt - and definitely in the UK. Still, now a Blackberry user has to go to the shop and look at the new devices and compare against the iPhone 5, Galaxy S3 and whatever else is coming out soon.

With new devices being announced in 2 weeks at MWC, Blackberry is taking a big risk waiting till March to release in the US.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Those loyal BB fans were waiting for a phone with keyboard. Now they have to wait a bit longer while BB pretends their touchscreen model has something iPhone and Android doesn't.

There really is no raison d'être for BB except to offer phones with keyboards, but with parity in a modern OS with apps.

While they dawdled, millions of BB users learned to live without keyboards, in exchange for better software ecosystems.

Doesn't sound like what they unveiled will match those ecosystems any time soon.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:25 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B143 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by wco81
Those loyal BB fans were waiting for a phone with keyboard. Now they have to wait a bit longer while BB pretends their touchscreen model has something iPhone and Android doesn't.

There really is no raison d'être for BB except to offer phones with keyboards, but with parity in a modern OS with apps.

While they dawdled, millions of BB users learned to live without keyboards, in exchange for better software ecosystems.

Doesn't sound like what they unveiled will match those ecosystems any time soon.
Very good point. Their form factor was their crown jewel.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 2:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Too little too late. Good summary.
http://blog.adamnash.com/2013/01/30/...sible-mission/
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Haven't managed to play with one yet, but I am hopeful that it matches the quality of the Playbook which I am typing this on.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Haven't managed to play with one yet, but I am hopeful that it matches the quality of the Playbook which I am typing this on.
BB better hope the new devices are a LOT better than the Playbook.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Engadget said battery life is worse and a lot of the apps. are hastily converted Playbook apps, where the buttons are squished together or off to the edge of the screen.

They still don't offer anything that the competition doesn't offer already. The keyboard would have been the unique thing but that's playing secondary role.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
BB better hope the new devices are a LOT better than the Playbook.
In terms of quality or sales numbers? The PlayBook has been rock solid for me and has features that I haven't seen elsewhere natively. Even though I know the sales haven't been stellar hence why I can imagine that they would be obviously be looking for better numbers from BB10, it is a very capable bit of kit. The people I know who have been put off buying one are those people who have work Berries and are expected to have their device with them all the time and or on all the time. As a result the last thing they want is something branded BlackBerry even if it's a good device.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by wco81
They still don't offer anything that the competition doesn't offer already.
Speaking for myself, but that doesn't matter to me. If it does it as good or better, I will be happy to get one when my contract runs out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.