Blackberry 10 Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blackberry 10 Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by sillypainter
I'm a previous 9900 user. The new OS is great, very fluent, and the keyboard is so much better than the 9900.
Cool thanks! On a 9900 as well for work, glad to hear the keyboard is an upgrade as well.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I got my Q10 in the mail on Monday. So far I'm loving it. That isn't to say that there aren't problems - but I do feel that the sum total experience is better than it was on my 9930 and better for me than an iOS or Android phone. Here are some observations:

1) I love that Blackberry maintained the ability to determine which specific permissions you want to allow for an app. As an example, the MLB 2013 app requests cell tower based location and GPS based location permissions. I see no reason to let MLB determine where I am down to a few meters, so I unchecked that GPS permission. Sadly, for Android port apps it is still a "take it all or leave it".

2) Side-loading helps, but is not perfect. I was able to side-load Google Voice, Google Translate, and Trip-It. Sadly, TripIt doesn't have a client for the new OS, but side-loading did get me the ability to view my data. Some of the update functions are wonky, though. Google Voice and Google Translate work perfectly - though to get notifications you must leave GV running. Still -it's a far better GV solution than I ever had on the 9930. I had less success with Google Maps - especially if WiFi was turned on it wouldn't work. Some others I tried just didn't work at all (NPR).

3) The experience on the Android port apps isn't quite as good as the native apps. Swipe to reveal a pop-up with the Android nav keys at the bottom of the screen, then press the menu key, then a menu pops up at the top of the screen, and then you make your selection. Obviously designed for a different platform's design standards. Functional, but could be improved with a native app.

4) Battery life - awesome. Went almost 48 hours after my first charge, the best I've ever experienced with an LTE phone.

5) Browser - much, much faster than the 9930 browser. I'd say it is snappier than any of my Android browsers, too.

6) The screen size is just right for a portrait QWERTY device, and the keyboard is excellent. I still think I may prefer the 9930 keyboard slightly - but the distinction is trivial. For me, there is a slightly different tactile feel and I prefer the curved layout - but still better than any other keyboard on any other device before the 9930 (including my Bold 9700 and 9000).

7) The Calendar app is AWESOME. Handles multiple calendars with more grace than anything else I have used. That was the big draw to Android for me - keeping on top of my multiple Google calendars - and BB does it just as well if not better. Same with Exchange calendars. And I like that "over-scrolling" in the hub shows your upcoming calendar entries above your messages. Great for a quick check!

8) Apps are obviously the weak spot. It is a new ecosystem and I expected it. Still, other than the continuing search for a podcast app I like, I am better off already than I ever was under the 9930 and below. The United app seals the deal for me - I am always using it to make same day changes. And truthfully, I can only think of a few apps I ACTUALLY used on my DROID 4 that I can't get here (Hilton - which has a crappy app anyway, an officially supported TripIt app, FlightTracker PRO, NPR). I never used the Netflix app when I had it - why should I care now that I don't? That's not what I use my phone for.

So - if you're looking for a cool toy to play videos on - you know where to look. If you're looking for the ultimate mobile messaging tool, I'm pretty confident the Q10 is it.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:46 am

I also got a Q10 recently (on french network "orange") and love it so far. Battery life is excellent and last all day: playing music all day, sending and receiving email and bbm and browsing the web for 2h.

I found their marketing gimmick "Blackberry flow" is really self explanatory regarding the user experience...it really flows between aps in a very seamless way.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by sillypainter
I am not a Skype fan, love a "real" telephone, but I have it downloaded. Tried it a couple of times voice over 3G and it works pretty good.
I've Skyped successfully 5 times with my daughter in Kosovo over the past month on my Z10 and today was the first time it failed. Can't remember what the error message was though.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
How is the smaller screen on the Q10 in terms of touch screen usage? Is it too small or just right?

I'm debating between a Z10 and a Q10 (I'm somewhat tired of my Curve 8530 with an M key that requires a very hard press to work), but I'm not buying anything for a couple more months. After having touch keyboard iOS and Androids I definitely want the physical keyboard of the Q10, but I don't want to trade usability of the phone in general for a physical keyboard.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fatbaby2
I've Skyped successfully 5 times with my daughter in Kosovo over the past month on my Z10 and today was the first time it failed. Can't remember what the error message was though.
Thanks- I tend to use Skype a lot when traveling so it is important- one thing I like about IOS is that Skype works extremely well. The reviews on Blackberry appworld for Skype are quite negative so it is good to hear it works somewhat well.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I haven't had any problems with Skype thus far, but have only used it a few times.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I haven't had any problems with Skype thus far, but have only used it a few times.
Coming from a Curve 3G 9300 the Q10 screen is quite huge. But anyway I haven't found the screen size to ba a limitation: in the browser I've found the reader mode to be perfect to read article online because it fits the screen size perfectly
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

I received my Q10 yesterday. I want to like it but am still considering. I love the keyboard. I don't like at all the use of an upward swipe to close an app. I'm guessing I average close to 5-7 attempts each time before works. I may sort it out so that it works better but for now that is a huge issue for me.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
I took the plunge Friday and got the Q-10, which replaced my Bold 9700 that I have been waiting to replace until Blackberry 10 was available. So far I am very impressed with it. The keyboard is excellent, better than the Bold which I thought was the best available. Browser is fantastic, now I finally have a browser that can do things.

The link software that moves everything from you old phone to your new phone worked exactly as advertised, and the transition was much quicker than previous versions. No hickups, did it all on the first try.

Blackberry Travel is as good as it was on my Bold. If Blackberry could hit more home runs like this there would never be any discussion of their demise. It quietly and quickly takes care of all my travel bookings all in the background and keeps my calendar updated. It also does a better job of updating flight times than what I see at the gate.

Phone feels solid, calls sound very good, no issues bluetoothing the phone to several rental cars. I was in some rural areas this week, and the Q-10 was able to make calls in some areas where my daughters iPhone showed bars, but suddenly went to "No Service" when she tried to make a call.

If you are a current Blackberry user, you really need to take a look at this one, as it is the logical step forward from Blackberry. It is more of a business device that is (finally) starting to have some extra fun features.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:54 pm
GAC
Suspended

Won't switch from my 9930 until the BB offers the ability to delete from handset only. If it never comes I may as well buy the iPhone.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: Traveling Around from Country to country
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

I received my Q10 yesterday. I want to like it but am still considering. I love the keyboard. I don't like at all the use of an upward swipe to close an app. I'm guessing I average close to 5-7 attempts each time before works. I may sort it out so that it works better but for now that is a huge issue for me.
Ok, here is what you need to remember.

Swipe up starting from the top row of keys...swipe fast up to close app, swipe slow to peek, once I learned this, I LOVE my Q. it's so much better than the Iphone home button......
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: Traveling Around from Country to country
Originally Posted by felipegarcia
How is the smaller screen on the Q10 in terms of touch screen usage? Is it too small or just right?

I'm debating between a Z10 and a Q10 (I'm somewhat tired of my Curve 8530 with an M key that requires a very hard press to work), but I'm not buying anything for a couple more months. After having touch keyboard iOS and Androids I definitely want the physical keyboard of the Q10, but I don't want to trade usability of the phone in general for a physical keyboard.
If you come from the Curve line, you'll definitely appreciate the Q10. The keyboard is even better than the 99 series. Don't forget to turn ON word suggestion, and you'll be blown away......
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by GAC
Won't switch from my 9930 until the BB offers the ability to delete from handset only. If it never comes I may as well buy the iPhone.
Delete what frm the handset only? Email messages are the only thing I can guess. That's certainly an option on my 9780...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.2038 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Originally Posted by travelpro2008
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

Ok, here is what you need to remember.

Swipe up starting from the top row of keys...swipe fast up to close app, swipe slow to peek, once I learned this, I LOVE my Q. it's so much better than the Iphone home button......
Oh my goodness. I was trying to start at the bezel rather than the top row of keys. It works well now. It's wonderful in fact. Thanks so much! It's an enormous improvement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.