Search

Blackberry 10 Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I've got my white Q10 on pre-order as of today

Set to ship from Verizon by 6/6
I'm waiting until a few people get it and provide some feedback before I order.. but like you, I need the keyboard. Until then, my 9930 keeps chugging along.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:46 pm

Prior Blackberry user until about ?3? years ago and went to the Verizon Motorola Droid Pro (has a real physical keyboard (not a sideway slide out)).

Issue:

The Droid Pro seems to be slowing down. Don't know if apps are getting bigger as updates are done or network (3G) - but I'm starting to get frustrated at the times it seems very slow. Also the hotspot can be very unstable on the Droid Pro.

So I cannot believe this but I'm actually considering going to the Q10! http://global.blackberry.com/smartph...berry-q10.html

Requirements are pretty basic: Social media, camera, AK notepad (or something similar) and obviously a physical keyboard.

I don't see it yet on Verizon but I'm hopeful they will get it for their network at some point.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bowdenj
Prior Blackberry user until about ?3? years ago and went to the Verizon Motorola Droid Pro (has a real physical keyboard (not a sideway slide out)).

Issue:

The Droid Pro seems to be slowing down. Don't know if apps are getting bigger as updates are done or network (3G) - but I'm starting to get frustrated at the times it seems very slow. Also the hotspot can be very unstable on the Droid Pro.

So I cannot believe this but I'm actually considering going to the Q10! http://global.blackberry.com/smartph...berry-q10.html

Requirements are pretty basic: Social media, camera, AK notepad (or something similar) and obviously a physical keyboard.

I don't see it yet on Verizon but I'm hopeful they will get it for their network at some point.
Verizon pre-order is up:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=6785
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:48 pm

I got my Q10 from T-mobile USA (B2B), and am loving it! Blackberry is finally hitting back!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by sillypainter
I got my Q10 from T-mobile USA (B2B), and am loving it! Blackberry is finally hitting back!
QUestion for you - are you moving from another BB device or from an iOS or Android device? I've got an iPhone and work BB and contemplating picking one of these up if its a real improvement. The OS is obviously better, but I'm most focused on better MAPS etc, for when I'm overseas and need it.

Any thoughts on core apps etc?
Thanks,
s.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Out of curiosity- have you tried using Skype with your new Blackberry and OS10 yet?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by sdemw
QUestion for you - are you moving from another BB device or from an iOS or Android device? I've got an iPhone and work BB and contemplating picking one of these up if its a real improvement. The OS is obviously better, but I'm most focused on better MAPS etc, for when I'm overseas and need it.

Thanks,
s.
Why is the OS obviously better?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Why is the OS obviously better?
Relative to the previous BB OS (7 for most i believe) think most would agree its nearly all improvement. Less bloated, faster response time, better basic apps, better email client, improved calendar, yada yada. There are lots of BB purist who don't seem to like it, but I can't see any downside to it over my BB v7. My main issue is that i doubt it will be anywhere as good as my Android or iOS devices.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Relative to the previous BB OS (7 for most i believe) think most would agree its nearly all improvement. Less bloated, faster response time, better basic apps, better email client, improved calendar, yada yada. There are lots of BB purist who don't seem to like it, but I can't see any downside to it over my BB v7. My main issue is that i doubt it will be anywhere as good as my Android or iOS devices.
Okay. I thought you meant better than iOS or Android. Although some here have reported issues with not being able to run their current apps on the new OS.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Okay. I thought you meant better than iOS or Android. Although some here have reported issues with not being able to run their current apps on the new OS.
HA- better than current android or iOS would be quite a feat.
On the apps, my understanding is that they've had lots of failures on the code compatibility front from old apps. Its got to be incredibly frustrating for their developers.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
HA- better than current android or iOS would be quite a feat.
On the apps, my understanding is that they've had lots of failures on the code compatibility front from old apps. Its got to be incredibly frustrating for their developers.
Not surprising since there was no promise of backward compatibility. It's a new OS built on QNX from the ground up.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Not surprising since there was no promise of backward compatibility. It's a new OS built on QNX from the ground up.
Indeed- the dev relations guys where pretty clear on it, but the message around some simple SDK paths to backward compatibility crept in on the marketing side last year.

The QNX acquisition was an interesting one, QNX still doing well in embedded systems market as well.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:55 am

Thanks,
s.
I'm a previous 9900 user. The new OS is great, very fluent, and the keyboard is so much better than the 9900.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Out of curiosity- have you tried using Skype with your new Blackberry and OS10 yet?
I am not a Skype fan, love a "real" telephone, but I have it downloaded. Tried it a couple of times voice over 3G and it works pretty good.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not a Skype fan, love a "real" telephone, but I have it downloaded. Tried it a couple of times voice over 3G and it works pretty good.
Thanks- I am not a huge Skype fan however it can save a fortune in roaming charges when you can link to others via Skype and wifi or a local 3G SIM as opposed to paying- while I know there is a lot of software besides Skype that accomplishes this Skype has reached the critical mass within our organization for non-confidential calling and as such I don't want to get a phone without it (it is not always convenient to pull out the iPad and a headset just to make a simple call).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.