Wiki Posts
Search

Blackberry 10 Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by ScottC
Unless people who currently are on Android or iOS can switch AND get all of their favorite apps on BB10, the thing will fail. A snappy interface and nice hardware won't get anywhere without an awesome app lineup.
Im ready to leave Android. If mail works well natively that is a step up from my Android phone. Also, the World Mate app of BB was very nice.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: US Airways Platinum 2012, Hilton Diamond
Unless people who currently are on Android or iOS can switch AND get all of their favorite apps on BB10, the thing will fail. A snappy interface and nice hardware won't get anywhere without an awesome app lineup.
I agree that the apps will make the phone!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
I suspect the actual product will be very good, but overcoming the momentum, marketplace, ecosystem challenges will be extremely hard, if not impossible.
I simply cannot imagine the scenario I would ever go back from Android (Motorola Droid Pro with full keyboard (not sideways keyboard)) to Blackberry.

I'm trying to remember if Palm ever tried to get back into the market after users started moving away from their platform.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
webOS?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Well you can sideload Android apps on the Playbook and I suspect therefore that you can do the same with BB10. Porting apps over to BB10 from a developer point of view is also a very painless process as your Android versions should work with only minor tweaks. For some users the news that Angry Birds (the Jedi one) is confirmed as coming to BB10 will be important, for others it won't. I'm looking forward to seeing it [BB10 not Angry Birds ] in action, possibly on my Playbook if I don't find the money to upgrade my phone anytime soon.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jan 30, 2013 at 8:37 am
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Well they've just announced the Q10 (keyboard version) and the Z10 (touch version) the company is changing their name to Blackberry - goodbye RIM. And now I have to do some work
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Color me impressed - very good looking stuff so far from them. Dumping the RIM name is a smart move too.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Skype and Kindle have just been confirmed as apps and now I must stop watching and do some work.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Blackberry have gone out of their way to make the porting of Android applications very simple to do. Hopefully, Playbook users will get an upgrade. A lot of these devices were sold very cheaply but could now be used to give Blackberry 10 a little momentum from the start!

If Blackberry get this right, they can have a very easy path to growth, compared to other new entrants......
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Color me impressed - very good looking stuff so far from them. Dumping the RIM name is a smart move too.
Yeah they weren't really known as RIM to the youth on the street in the UK, bet there were a few meetings over it though. Very tempted to get a Q10 now especially for the video BBM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:18 am
Community Director Emerita

Which carriers will offer the new BB?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Internaut
Blackberry have gone out of their way to make the porting of Android applications very simple to do. Hopefully, Playbook users will get an upgrade. A lot of these devices were sold very cheaply but could now be used to give Blackberry 10 a little momentum from the start!

If Blackberry get this right, they can have a very easy path to growth, compared to other new entrants......
From the review on The Verge:

The Android apps I tested while using the Z10 performed abysmally on the phone. Sluggish, ugly, and disconnected from the core OS. In fact, because these apps are being run in a software emulation of Android — Gingerbread no less (that's version 2.3) — they bear little to no relationship to the rest of the operating system. Even the tool you use to select text and the contextual menus are from another operating system! It's a terrible choice on BlackBerry's part, and one I hope the company quickly abandons. It's not a shortcut to having a lot of apps — it's a shortcut to having a lot of bad apps that turn customers off.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
They are sure talking a good game. Let's see (and hope) the market responds in kind.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Which carriers will offer the new BB?
All of the usual suspects. Release date sometime in the March for the US; those in the UK can get their hands on one starting tomorrow.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I am sad that the Q10 won't hit carriers until April at the earliest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.