Reload this Page >

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:08 am

Someone told me that you can't visit the beaches in Phuket during the summer because of dangerous rip currents. Is this true? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. The beaches were going to be one of the highlights of my trip.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by avadah
Someone told me that you can't visit the beaches in Phuket during the summer because of dangerous rip currents. Is this true? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. The beaches were going to be one of the highlights of my trip.
Sure, you can visit the beaches. The rips won't go and grab you off the sand. Whether it's a good idea to go in the water is another matter altogether - a function of the day's conditions, your personal capabilities, and other variables.

The phenomenon is quite well-publicized, see here for one instance.

Like anything, it's a matter of knowing the local landscape and understanding the conditions. Not all beaches are created equal in terms of topography, current, and weather. The variation even across a few km can be big (many places in the world, not just Phuket - I grew up on the Atlantic coast of Florida and it was the same thing there). The issue in Phuket seems to be particularly pronounced, however, because of a large influx of tourists who simply aren't aware.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Anyone know what the weather is like in Phuket these days? Monsoon season started yet?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:10 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by wolf72
Anyone know what the weather is like in Phuket these days? Monsoon season started yet?
It has been a very dry year and late start to the monsoon, but it is now here

Sunny today and yesterday, but some heavy rain last week.

For on the spot info - http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/pkt120Loop.php
Old Jun 22, 2015, 3:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seavisionburma
It has been a very dry year and late start to the monsoon, but it is now here

Sunny today and yesterday, but some heavy rain last week.

For on the spot info - http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/pkt120Loop.php
Thanks very much..appreciate the update
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm in Karon now and have been for approx 2 weeks. They predicted rain over the last 4 to 5 days but it didn't rain during the day. In my time here I only had one heavy nights rain. Overcast but no rain.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 7evans
I need advice on a family trip....
We have 6 adults and 6 kids ...
My sister lives in Singapore, so we are starting our vacation there, then want to do one other 3-4 day trip.
We are thinking about Phuket.
We like nice beaches
Snorkling/Scuba diving
Site seeing
Boat rides
Cooking classes!

Kids ages: 10, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16

SPG Plat, so thinking Le Meridien Phuket would work for us. 5 rooms

Would love any advice!

Oh and traveling during Christmas/New Years holiday ... only time that would work for both families.

Thanks in advance!
On the surface Le Meridien looks great but the hotel and rooms need an update. It isn't 5 star. The beach is great there although there are now new laws that don't allow sunbeds on the beach. That used to be so relaxing
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:28 am
Suspended

I don't agree with the no sun beds ruling. I think it actually helped a lot of individuals to make a living day to day and to provide for their families. I mean, I understand the government don't want individuals monopolising the beach's and so forth and maybe there are more reasons why they have stopped it and why they want the beach's clear of these beds.

But I always enjoyed a good sun bed down the road from Bangla.

Anyways..
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't agree with the no sun beds ruling. I think it actually helped a lot of individuals to make a living day to day and to provide for their families. I mean, I understand the government don't want individuals monopolising the beach's and so forth and maybe there are more reasons why they have stopped it and why they want the beach's clear of these beds.

But I always enjoyed a good sun bed down the road from Bangla.

Anyways..
There was a sign at our hotel on the beach that said the law now forbids any business transactions on public land. So it isn't just sunbeds they want to outlaw I guess.

They should of made some sunbeds available on beaches and if you want one, you go there, or if you want to lie on your towel you go to that section.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
There was a sign at our hotel on the beach that said the law now forbids any business transactions on public land. So it isn't just sunbeds they want to outlaw I guess.

They should of made some sunbeds available on beaches and if you want one, you go there, or if you want to lie on your towel you go to that section.
Yeah, agreed.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: UA *Gold
I have a condo near Pattaya and wanted to explore the Khao Lak coast for 3 nights in August. (Idea is wife and I would return in high season.)

The plan is to rent a car at HKT, then head north to....where? My Thai is very basic, I have a GPS, looking for a couple of towns with nice clean beaches and multiple resorts in all price ranges.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by golferjoe
I have a condo near Pattaya and wanted to explore the Khao Lak coast for 3 nights in August. (Idea is wife and I would return in high season.)

The plan is to rent a car at HKT, then head north to....where? My Thai is very basic, I have a GPS, looking for a couple of towns with nice clean beaches and multiple resorts in all price ranges.
There were some great Khao Lak deals for July/ Aug on Vacationist yesterday.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
A few questions if I may?!

Planning a visit 15-19 October to 6 senses Yao noi.

What is the weather usually like in mid October? I know it coming out of monsoon but will it be brief or prolonged heavy rain?

Anyone stayed there/ tips would be great!

The flight back (Emirates of course) is at 12 midnight . Any tips on what to do post check out and before check in opens at 9pm?

Thanks all in advance.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:30 am

We're doing 1 Week at The Surin and can't decide between

- Pullman Khao Lak // Beachfront Villa
- Regent Phuket Cape Panwa // Seaview Villa

Pullman seems to be a bit dated room-wise but has a nice beach. Regent has nice rooms and the regent club, unfortunately the beach is a letdown at low tide.

What would you choose?

[Update] We decided for the Regent.

Last edited by ctrlf; Oct 1, 2015 at 12:12 pm
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
We did the Phi Phi Islands tour with F1 Cruises from Phuket:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...79381925/page1

They were great!
Thank you,
I will look in to that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.