Search

What do people enjoy about Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by dssxxxx
Patpong I & II
Tom is that you? Carabao made you famous.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
^
Originally Posted by yosithezet
This thread makes me want to put together a BKKDO but I'm afraid that it would end with police and live chickens being involved.
^
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
This thread makes me want to put together a BKKDO but I'm afraid that it would end with police and live chickens being involved.
Happy to help on the ground here in BKK if you go ahead... Specially with generous hotel discounts. I'm available for this unti
March!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's a worthwhile risk.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:

The Police will have to be called to investigate why the chickens committed mass suicide after having to listen to hours of discussions about the exact fare of the 24.3 Km taxi ride being 177 baht or 179 baht, tipping and whether to take the train or taxi. They would have preferred listening to more talk about almost any other topic, even Thai food, including any kind of gai.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:34 am

I sincerely hope they are cute chickens this time. Last time they were just foul.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I sincerely hope they are cute chickens this time. Last time they were just foul.

Lay off the Chang wj.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: SPG LTPlat ANA Plat
Food, people, shopping, relaxation, but you need the right mind set, its a total package
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BritinJapan
Food, people, shopping, relaxation, but you need the right mind set, its a total package
Perhaps not a total package: I despise shopping.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Perhaps not a total package: I despise shopping.
I'd rather give birth to a porcupine backwards. If I'm in a mall - it's for the food court & admittedly the eye candy.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I'd rather give birth to a porcupine backwards. If I'm in a mall - it's for the food court & admittedly the eye candy.
Well, on my first dozen or two trips I went through the usual stages. Street vendors on Sukhumvit were initially fascinating and I'd buy lots from them (back in the early 90s) and even give some of the fake Rolexes as gifts. The weekend market was usually a bridge too far, but MBK came into its own as a great one-stop place, as did the then-World Trade Center (with lunch at Planet Hollywood over at Gaysorn). Before they went uselessly upmarket.

Today the most addictive shopping is at run down spots a little off the farang trail, plus night markets without too many farangs. The weekend market was OK for a time but now is way overpriced in the collectibles area thanks to eBay mentality and too many farangs. Ratchada-Lad Phrao used to be OK sometimes, and Rod Fai in the old spot had to be the best one they've ever done.

It's not what it was, but the addictive thing if finding the darndest western stuff, like old view-master units or reels, old postcards or old publicity photos or whatever. In some cases it's weird how it got to Thailand, but Thais don't always value things the same as westerners. So you *might* find something really good that doesn't quite cost an arm and a leg.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Yes, but will they all be on skewers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.