Reload this Page >

What do people enjoy about Bangkok?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do people enjoy about Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:43 am

've been in Bangkok twice. After my first visit I said I would never go back there again. Ever. I hated Bangkok from the bottom of my heart. Until last year... when I discovered sightseeing from a public transport. Taking a bus (a public bus) in Bangkok is an adventure itself. But for sure it's something I can recommend you highly. You get a chance to see places you wouldn't normally see.
I understand people who hate Bangkok, but I also know that if you take a step back, take a deep breath and give it another chance you may actually fall in love with that crazy city just as I did.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MarttaTravelWorldPassport
I understand people who hate Bangkok, but I also know that if you take a step back, take a deep breath and give it another chance you may actually fall in love with that crazy city just as I did.
An excellent first post.

Welcome to FT.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Would staying elsewhere greatly improve one's mobility?

Would it be that bad? I usually don't have a huge problem with GPS in other cities that also have elevated expressways and such. It seems insane to me that taxis would not have GPS units (I don't take a lot of taxis in the USA these days, but I would assume they now have them -- true?). I probably took a half dozen taxis in Bangkok and I think only one time did the driver really know where I wanted to go -- and I wasn't picking out obscure destinations. Places like the "Royal Orchid Sheraton" would completely baffle drivers, even if I provided them with an address. And not a single driver started his meter without my blunt insistence.
Yep it is that bad. GPS that a taxi driver can afford (the Garmin/TomTom "stick-me-on the dash with a suction cup") kind of units are completely useless downtown. Only the embedeed systems that you find factory-installed have a fighting chance because they have proper antenna and a gyroscope and link to the car's speedometer to fill in the blanks when GPS signal is degraded. I have tested a few Garmin units (the 200 dollar suction cup quick install type) and sometimes I can drive all the way from Asoke to Lat Phrao and I may only just start to get a satellite fix when I am just about to arrive. Drove a Benz with an integrated system and it performed a bit better but you know the taxi operator won't wanna pay anything for GPS and the driver won't have the means to buy his own unit, at least not one that will handle the conditions in downtown BKK.

Another thing that will make traffic worse is that the government had lots of strange policies to buy votes. One was a huge tax credit for individuals who buy their first car. Now they have received about 1.2M applications (nationwide). So... yay! A few hundred thousand more cars will be on BKK roads this year.

The "not using the meter" crap around tourist hot spots, especially involving night life even effect Thai people. The really bad apples don't discriminate.

Last edited by forumpersona999; Jan 8, 2013 at 8:04 am Reason: Added links
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:59 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by mario33
Not sure why you have this impression.

For BTS it may not be as convenient as the SGS or the Westin, but there is a shuttle boat (or ferry) to take you to Saphan Thaksin station. The slight disadvantage is offset by the ferry service right next to the hotel, which takes you to major tourist spots such as Grand Palace or Wat Arun which you cannot reach using the BTS.

And if you are relying on taxis, Sukhumvit is perhaps the worst place to stay with the almost round the clock traffic jams.
I have this impression because everyone I know that is an infrequent visitor to Bangkok and stays at the ROS complains that it is hard to get around BKK. The shuttle isn't exactly and on-demand mode of transportation. I agree that Saphan Taksin is very convenient for getting to the Grand Palance and whatnot and it is quite easy to get to Saphan Taksin by BTS.

Why rely on taxis? I never rely on taxis since I started staying along the BTS route. I can use the BTS/MRT to get close to my destination and then use a taxi for short extensions if needed. The jams on Suhkumvit aren't really round-the-clock, but are frequent. Regardless, there is little reason to get a taxi on Sukhumvit most of the time since you can hop on the MRT/BTS to get closer to your destination.

Originally Posted by mario33
An interesting note about Bangkok taxi drivers is that many don't know where the Westin is, but almost all of them know the exact location of Robinsons (next to/below the hotel). Locals don't go to the Westin !
I agree that it is easier to tell the driver to go to Robinson's Asoke or Soi 19 than to ask them to go to the Westin. But even so, pronouncing Westin as "Weh-tin" often gets a better result than Westin. But to say that locals don't go there? I guess all those people attending the weddings of the people with quite long multi-syllable names are Europeans?

From the tourist perspective, Chiang Mai is better for massage. As my daughter would say, it seems less "sketchy."
I do realize that my experience is quite limited, but I would posit that Healthland, Lavana, King & I, and Baan Dalah MindBody Spa are not very sketchy at all.

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Another thing that will make traffic worse is that the government had lots of strange policies to buy votes. One was a huge tax credit for individuals who buy their first car. Now they have received about 1.2M applications (nationwide). So... yay! A few hundred thousand more cars will be on BKK roads this year.
This policy seems less about buying votes and more about finding a way to keep the car manufacturers from fleeing Thailand after the floods
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by yosithezet

This policy seems less about buying votes and more about finding a way to keep the car manufacturers from fleeing Thailand after the floods
It's about both and also about creating problems, ridiculous traffic, that they can subsequently come back and attempt to solve while involving themselves in unbelievable graft.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Originally Posted by MarttaTravelWorldPassport
've been in Bangkok twice. After my first visit I said I would never go back there again. Ever. I hated Bangkok from the bottom of my heart. Until last year... when I discovered sightseeing from a public transport. Taking a bus (a public bus) in Bangkok is an adventure itself. But for sure it's something I can recommend you highly. You get a chance to see places you wouldn't normally see.
I almost always take the bus , its ends up in the same traffic jam as a taxi anyway but its cheap 8 baht - 15 baht and its sits higher so you get a better view

From Sukhumvit the 40 or 48 bus will take you to Chinatown after first going past MBK and the other shopping centers

the #2 bus will take you to Central world , Pantip and continue to the backpacker area ( forget the name ! )

Maybe we need a bus rider thread ......
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Fine, we buy the votes by doubling the minimum wage for the factory workers then keep these factory owners around by polluting the city more with tax inventives for cars.

To me, what I enjoy in Bangkok is...

The excitement of being in a developing country where there are still business opportunities that are not to be found in developed markets..

The food, not just Thai food. All the food we have here. Bangkok is a food hub because there is so much tourism from all around and because Thais themselves are crazy about food. Not just their own cuisine. We really have "everything" here and at OK prices.

The location is also cooodnvenient. Two major financial centers are less than 3 hours flight away. In a nutshell:

1) I will go with the cliche F&B thing/cost of living
2) biz opps you get in developing economies
3) favorable location (Singapore/HongKong/Myanmar/ASEAN). It is all happening here. ^

But yeah, there's burnout. I could fill 20 pages complaining about various issues that are totally BKK.

Last edited by forumpersona999; Jan 9, 2013 at 8:59 am
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
a GPS no name model with Thai maps is less than 3000 baht now , but that is still a lot of money for most taxi drivers ,

We have gotten the iPhone map out to show a taxi driver where to turn when we went to an out of the way place ,

But its best if you are going a long distance to have your hotel write simple directions to show the taxi driver , many will not want to go very far as they make more money with short 35 baht fares ,

Once you are close a smart taxi driver just pulls over and asks the local taxi guys for the last few KM directions,

I must say if BKK did NOT have all these taxis at the low prices it would not be as much fun to go see interesting places on the outskirts of the city....

Last edited by soarer; Jan 8, 2013 at 10:57 am
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:40 pm
Suspended

I have this impression because everyone I know that is an infrequent visitor to Bangkok and stays at the ROS complains that it is hard to get around BKK. The shuttle isn't exactly and on-demand mode of transportation. I agree that Saphan Taksin is very convenient for getting to the Grand Palance and whatnot and it is quite easy to get to Saphan Taksin by BTS.
Those people you spoke to probably didn't bother to explore the options available.

Leaving the hotel ROS to BTS Saphan Thaksin station, I find the shuttle very convenient I just leave my room 5-10 minutes before the scheduled departure. Coming back is a bit more tricky since you have no control of the train schedule, but the River City next door also run their own shuttle and there is also the ferry service.

And for those staying at the ROS, you don't need to go to Saphan Thaksin to board the ferry to Grand Palace. The jetty is located between the hotel main building and the garden pool. Just take the lane to the right of the hotel as you exit, its a mere 2 minute walk.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
shopping for cashmere wraps in the airport

'nuff said.
what I didn't like was buying liquid bathgels in Bangkok and then connecting through Narita and losing them at Narita security. (you have to go through security again when arriving!)
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:56 pm
Suspended

But to say that locals don't go there
Not to say no local go to the Westin at all, but I believe there are/were many going to the Robinson (or used to before the larger malls were built). And since most taxi passengers are actually locals (which is my point here), the drivers would be more familiar with Robinsons rather than 'weh-tin'

As for those people with multi-syllable names attending weddings at the Westin, majority would be driving or chauffeured there & many in 'European' cars.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
My GPS works fine. It's attached to the Bangkok traffic control system in some way.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by Dendrite
I think you had missed Thai massage. Anyway, Bangkok traffic is way better than Manila and Jakarta.
and Saigon and Hanoi and NanNing. I hate those d@mn bikes everybody has! But still, the nitty gritty is one of the endearing things about Bangkok, because once you see the buildings, you notice that it is really so clean compared to SEA.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:04 am

Patpong I & II
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Just had my first visit to BKK; I've been "everywhere" in the world, and to many, many Asian cities.
Wow, been "everywhere" in the world including many, many Asian cities...but not Bangkok. A rare breed indeed.

Nice to see a discussion about Bangkok away from the Starwood board still manages to have it's own discussion on their properties in the city, like there's not enough on that board already.

It's the free booze at the Starwood properties that keep me wanting to go back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.