Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do people enjoy about Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Just had my first visit to BKK; I've been "everywhere" in the world, and to many, many Asian cities.

Honestly, BKK makes a bad first impression. The worst thing is the traffic. Your mobility is greatly impaired. You "can't" easily take a taxi; the traffic at peak times (and some non-peak times) is horrible, and most of the drivers don't have a clue where they're going (why aren't they equipped with gps?)
One of the issues here is purely technical: No line of sight to the sky. GPS is very hard to use downtown Bangkok and on suburban mainroads, too because you are usually stuck under an elevated express way or a skytrain track where your GPS will either have no signal at all or be dozens of meters off.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Nice post.

I'd posit that your choice to stay at the ROS likely impacted your view of mobility greatly.
Would staying elsewhere greatly improve one's mobility?

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
One of the issues here is purely technical: No line of sight to the sky. GPS is very hard to use downtown Bangkok and on suburban mainroads, too because you are usually stuck under an elevated express way or a skytrain track where your GPS will either have no signal at all or be dozens of meters off.
Would it be that bad? I usually don't have a huge problem with GPS in other cities that also have elevated expressways and such. It seems insane to me that taxis would not have GPS units (I don't take a lot of taxis in the USA these days, but I would assume they now have them -- true?). I probably took a half dozen taxis in Bangkok and I think only one time did the driver really know where I wanted to go -- and I wasn't picking out obscure destinations. Places like the "Royal Orchid Sheraton" would completely baffle drivers, even if I provided them with an address. And not a single driver started his meter without my blunt insistence.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:13 pm

Yes, if you stayed at a hotel near a BTS, MRT, ARL, or BRT station.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

Would it be that bad? I usually don't have a huge problem with GPS in other cities that also have elevated expressways and such. It seems insane to me that taxis would not have GPS units (I don't take a lot of taxis in the USA these days, but I would assume they now have them -- true?). I probably took a half dozen taxis in Bangkok and I think only one time did the driver really know where I wanted to go -- and I wasn't picking out obscure destinations. Places like the "Royal Orchid Sheraton" would completely baffle drivers, even if I provided them with an address. And not a single driver started his meter without my blunt insistence.
It tends to be easier to give them a street intersection and direct the taxi from there. That's not great for someone who doesn't know the city nor speak Thai but that's the way it is.

Expounding upon GPS: I learned long ago that showing a map in Asia just makes the situation more confusing. Even with directions showing I'd be willing to wager a GPS would delay your arrival.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Yes, if you stayed at a hotel near a BTS, MRT, ARL, or BRT station.
It would certainly be more convenient for some purposes, but not for "tourist" Bangkok.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
It tends to be easier to give them a street intersection and direct the taxi from there. That's not great for someone who doesn't know the city nor speak Thai but that's the way it is.

Expounding upon GPS: I learned long ago that showing a map in Asia just makes the situation more confusing. Even with directions showing I'd be willing to wager a GPS would delay your arrival.
Yeah, there's something weird about maps in Asia. At first I thought it was just a Chinese thing, but it's certainly true that, as a general rule, Asians have terrible map skills. But there are exceptions. I was recently surprised in Cambodia by my guide extensively consulting his map and, in China, when my driver ignored the address on the business card I handed him and looked at the map on the reverse side. Both times I was successfully navigated.

Regarding a GPS, though, how hard would it be to follow the directions to turn left, right, etc? Aren't GPS designed for folks with poor map skills?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regarding a GPS, though, how hard would it be to follow the directions to turn left, right, etc? Aren't GPS designed for folks with poor map skills?
The driver would constantly look at the GPS and try to understand where (s)he is (unsuccessfully) rather than take the information at face value. I think it would further confuse the situation.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:44 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
It would certainly be more convenient for some purposes, but not for "tourist" Bangkok.
If you say so.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
My first stay was at the Westin GS. There's also the SGS across the street. They're right at the intersection of the MTR and subway. I didn't have a problem getting anywhere.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:56 pm

I must say, that I've never had the same problems with the meter. The vultures that hang in front of the big hotels won't move for meter $$ usually though. Just flag one. I too find Asoke ideal to get around. Ds37 is right as usual. Maps just confuse 'em. If one doesn't speak Thai, it's better to just call the hotel or restaurant & have them direct him.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I'd posit that your choice to stay at the ROS likely impacted your view of mobility greatly.
Not sure why you have this impression.

For BTS it may not be as convenient as the SGS or the Westin, but there is a shuttle boat (or ferry) to take you to Saphan Thaksin station. The slight disadvantage is offset by the ferry service right next to the hotel, which takes you to major tourist spots such as Grand Palace or Wat Arun which you cannot reach using the BTS.

And if you are relying on taxis, Sukhumvit is perhaps the worst place to stay with the almost round the clock traffic jams.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:11 am
Suspended

For the fare you are paying in Bangkok, do you expect the taxis to be equipped with GPS ?

And driving a taxi isn't the most glamorous job in Bangkok, I wouldn't expect the drivers to be highly educated or well trained; its unrealistic to expect them to be able to read the map well.

Also remember that unlike some cities where taxis cater mainly to tourists, in Bangkok the majority of passengers are actually locals who are able to describe certain landmarks to the driver, hence they don't always need to use a map or GPS.

An interesting note about Bangkok taxi drivers is that many don't know where the Westin is, but almost all of them know the exact location of Robinsons (next to/below the hotel). Locals don't go to the Westin !

Last edited by mario33; Jan 8, 2013 at 4:17 am
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
I'm stuck in a BKK traffic jam for the last 90 minutes on my way home from work. ( chauffeured, luckily). Am rereading the posts here. From my current perspective
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
Just had my first visit to BKK; I've been "everywhere" in the world, and to many, many Asian cities.

Honestly, BKK makes a bad first impression. The worst thing is the traffic. Your mobility is greatly impaired. You "can't" easily take a taxi; the traffic at peak times (and some non-peak times) is horrible, and most of the drivers don't have a clue where they're going (why aren't they equipped with gps?) and don't want to use their meters. Subway/Skytrain service is limited; the ferry is nice if you're headed along the river, but service is way too infrequent and shuts down by 7:30 in the evening.

Tourist attractions are somewhat limited. The Grand Palace, the top attraction, was ridiculously over-crowded and over-priced.

Tourist shopping is mediocre at best. If you've been to the fake markets in Shanghai or Beijing, you will be greatly disappointed by the offerings in Bangkok.

If you seek it out, the Thai food IS fantastic. The single best reason to stopover in BKK. If not for the food, I'd probably never return.

We stayed at the Royal Orchid Sheraton and I would recommend staying along the river for first time visitors. The view from our room was fantastic. Practically the only peaceful spot in town!
I think you had missed Thai massage. Anyway, Bangkok traffic is way better than Manila and Jakarta.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dendrite
I think you had missed Thai massage. Anyway, Bangkok traffic is way better than Manila and Jakarta.
From the tourist perspective, Chiang Mai is better for massage. As my daughter would say, it seems less "sketchy."

Somehow I've avoided the thrill of visiting either Manila or Jakarta. May I continue my luck.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rathin100
I'm stuck in a BKK traffic jam for the last 90 minutes on my way home from work. ( chauffeured, luckily). Am rereading the posts here. From my current perspective
But the real question is did the driver need a GPS to accurately find the traffic?

Somehow I've avoided the thrill of visiting either Manila or Jakarta. May I continue my luck.
I'll likely be heading to Jakarta for a trip around Java later this year.

For the time being i'm right there with you however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.