Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do people enjoy about Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yosithezet
So you wan to have a cultural vacation but not experience the local culture? MOMA may be better suited.
I don't see how being stuck in traffic jams, breathe foul air, and experience over crowdedness is "culture". Might as well take a trip to LA for that
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:09 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by transpac
I have this longish, working list which gets adjusted often.
Looking at your list I feel like ie seen nothing.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Ubon's bowling alley opened in June 2009 just as we moved away from there. And if you're claiming that things shut down in Ubon at 9PM (not sure if these two were meant to be together) I'd have to disagree.
I just meant upcountry in general. Things shut down earlier upcountry compared with Bangkok. I'm talking shops/malls, restaurants, transit (som lors / song taews), etc. Hang out at a bar/restaurant until midnight and there's nothing going on except for people going home. So that made me appreciate Bangkok more.

I will say that Bangkok, as a solo traveller, is not as great. Bangkok with your local Bangkokian friends/family is much better. But I think that really applies to most places in the world.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:31 pm

Thanks for the list transpac. There's a couple on there that I haven't seen yet.

Also would you agree that the ghost buildings are disappearing? I didn't notice any actually when I was there last week. I wasn't really looking for them, but I didn't notice any like in years past.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I will say that Bangkok, as a solo traveller, is not as great.
Why not?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Why not?
Because, Bangkok with your local Bangkokian friends/family is much better.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Because, Bangkok with your local Bangkokian friends/family is much better.
Same could be said for any other international city...

I don't see how being stuck in traffic jams, breathe foul air, and experience over crowdedness is "culture". Might as well take a trip to LA for that
For what you want to do, the MTR/Subway/river boat system in BKK will be just fine.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I was thinking of going to Thailand and Cambodia next year to see Angkor Wat, the Grand Palace, the Floating Market, Ayuttahya, and Phang Nga Bay, but now I'm getting worried I might not like Bangkok at all. I don't want to have a cultural vacation in a dirty, overcrowded, hot city...
Even though I didnīt particularly enjoy BKK, Iīd definitely recommend visiting for a few days to experience the place for yourself.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Same could be said for any other international city...
I did say that actually.

I will say that Bangkok, as a solo traveller, is not as great. Bangkok with your local Bangkokian friends/family is much better. But I think that really applies to most places in the world.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
I was thinking of going to Thailand and Cambodia next year to see Angkor Wat, the Grand Palace, the Floating Market, Ayuttahya, and Phang Nga Bay, but now I'm getting worried I might not like Bangkok at all. I don't want to have a cultural vacation in a dirty, overcrowded, hot city...
There's far more culture and history to take in in Cambodia and Laos, than in Thailand. Not that Thailand is not culturally interesting but a lot of it is not very accesible to those who dont speak Thai. What you get for tourist consumption ( Ayuthaya is a good example) is a lot of fake, constructed, stuff.

....And this s especially pronouncedin here in BKK, which is essentially a noveau riche,consumption focused, city. In Thailand, Sukhothai and Chiang Mai offer more interesting fare, in my view.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by rathin100
There's far more culture and history to take in in Cambodia and Laos, than in Thailand. Not that Thailand is not culturally interesting but a lot of it is not very accesible to those who dont speak Thai. What you get for tourist consumption ( Ayuthaya is a good example) is a lot of fake, constructed, stuff.
Curious to hear more of your view on the legit Cambodian culture accessible to travelers who don't speak Khmer. I find it's even more difficult, and with less infrastructure, in Cambodia. Further, outside of the Angkor complex and similar other temples, Thailand has much more to offer... And that's in a non-tourist bent. IMO of course.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Curious to hear more of your view on the legit Cambodian culture accessible to travelers who don't speak Khmer. I find it's even more difficult, and with less infrastructure, in Cambodia. Further, outside of the Angkor complex and similar other temples, Thailand has much more to offer... And that's in a non-tourist bent. IMO of course.
You raise a very valid point. I speak and read French, and a lot of the accessibility comes from that fact, I realize. Cambodian contemporary culture saw an immense rennaisance under Sihanouk in the 1960s it's subsequent destruction and slow and(IMO) fascinating resurrection ( alas, not cinema, yet ) is also accessible in Phnom Penh if one looks for it. Then there is the lovely rubber town of Kampong Cham, the Battambang.... Maybe I'm biased

I don't think the infrastructure is bad at all in fact I think PP is a far pleasanter and more aesthetically appealing place than BKK.

On Angkor, Bayon etc I think the fact that it was a genuinely international project gave it an aesthetically more vibrant tone than much of the Thai reconstructions, especially in BKK, where they tend to be part of the fragile and tendentious reconstruction of the monarchist modernization project post Phibun. It is no accident that in Bangkok the national anthem is constantly played in public places, cinemas, parks ( 6 pm sharp every evening in the park near my apartment) etc... It manifests a national identity not at ease with itself, in my view. Countries at ease with national identity do not constantly force feed national symbols. This makes for a highly mediated access to Thai cultural history. All IMO of course, I am not trying to assert anything here.

Many apologies for my verbosity
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
You don't sound very adventurous...

I like Bangkok for the shopping, food, and 24/7 non-stop nature of the mega-city. I live in Cairo currently, so I'm used to hassle and pollution.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by mario33
Go another 8 times and report back here

It's a city that grows on you, not love at first sight.
I'm in the double-digits on my trips here and I couldn't agree more.

I "liked" Bangkok the first time I visited 10+ years ago. I did a lot of touristy stuff and also saw a bit too much of the seedy stuff. The second time I came, it exhausted me. The third time, I hated it.

When I was forced to come back, I switched things up and stayed in a different place (first three stays were Sukhumvit) by the river. Liked the slower pace a bit more. Next time, I moved around again. I finally found a hotel/neighborhood that I'm comfortable with. Now it feels familiar and I'm content here - I've got my places I go for massages and personal services. I have a couple of pharmacies I go to so I can pick up stuff that's Rx only in the states (and cheaper here). I've got several malls where I enjoy shopping.

I always love cities more once I find a neighborhood... and usually don't hit my groove in a city until I've crossed off all the touristy things and settled into just "being" somewhere. Then I can really determine if I like a place or not.

BKK still is not in my top five favorite cities (probably not in my top ten). But it IS a good jumping off point for other places I like so I've learned how to make myself comfortable here.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:57 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rathin100

On Angkor, Bayon etc I think the fact that it was a genuinely international project gave it an aesthetically more vibrant tone than much of the Thai reconstructions, especially in BKK, where they tend to be part of the fragile and tendentious reconstruction of the monarchist modernization project post Phibun. It is no accident that in Bangkok the national anthem is constantly played in public places, cinemas, parks ( 6 pm sharp every evening in the park near my apartment) etc... It manifests a national identity not at ease with itself, in my view. Countries at ease with national identity do not constantly force feed national symbols. This makes for a highly mediated access to Thai cultural history. All IMO of course, I am not trying to assert anything here.

Many apologies for my verbosity
Going way OT here, but a friend from Hong Kong visited me in Boston last year. He was curious about why there were so many US flags hoisted. Our discussion involved both Boston being such an integral part of the colonial/revolutionary war period, and that if Hong Kong had bauhinias (the flower on their flag) waving everywhere, their "caretaker" up north wouldn't be too pleased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.