Search

What do people enjoy about Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Singapore - friendly and helpful people
Really ?

I thought they are at the bottom of the list in SE Asia, the government even had a nationwide campaign reminding its people to be courteous.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: most of them
Indeed I try to take a similar approach and aim to soak up the local atmosphere by just walking around, visiting local markets, popping into 7/11 or a supermarket and stopping at a local restaurant to get a bite to eat.

Probably surprising I tend to quite enjoy strolling around in Singapore - being able to experience various different subcultures (Malaysian quarter, Chinatown, Litte India) or just sit in the park, good shopping, great dining options, friendly and helpful people.
I will say that I typically enjoy walking around getting the feel of a place too. But that is very difficult in Bangkok. It's one of the biggest drawbacks for me actually. Between the weather, pollution, disrepair of the sidewalks or markets that take up the whole sidewalk it is very difficult to wander around in a meaningful way. Frankly even though I have been there several times now I am just starting to understand my way around outside of the neighborhoods where I spend most of my time. Getting a feel for what is where is not easy IMHO.

Last edited by glennaa11; Dec 18, 2012 at 7:19 am
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Probably surprising I tend to quite enjoy strolling around in Singapore - being able to experience various different subcultures (Malaysian quarter, Chinatown, Litte India) or just sit in the park, good shopping, great dining options, friendly and helpful people.
I'm not trying to turn this into a BKK vs SIN thread, but when I am at SIN, I get a weird feeling everyone is on Prozac. No real freedom of expression and there's a weight in the air. The morning "humor" DJ sounded like he was reading jokes out of a grade school jokebook. The taxis seem to be all Taiwanese expats trapped in the 50's listening to radio stations from that era. No, SIN is just too "safe" and "sanitized" for my taste. However, I do know a lot of people who like it and more power to them (you).
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:46 pm

To me, Siinapore is the Asian Switzerland. Everything works efficiently. Everything is clean, but something is missing. In Switzerland, I wish I was in chaotic Italy. In Singapore, I wish I was in chaotic Thailand.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:33 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Indian "holy" man telling you that you are a lucky man. I get them every week around Sukhumvit.
That's because you look jai dee. I scowl and they never approach me.

Jasper2009 so how does what we've said about BKK fit in with what you find interesting in a city?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:42 am

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Just preparing for a four day visit to BKK after a week in HKT and almost regretting to have such little time. Sure it's not the prettiest of cities and it's chaotic and hot, but we love the food, the good hotels, and the prices compared to Paris, NYC, or Tokyo. My wife loves shopping, so there's no shortage of choice from cheap to high end.

My German cousin went to BKK 10 years ago for a 1 year internship and even learned Thai before going. He got so home sick that he went back after 3 months. Can understand that BKK is not for everyone and only know it as a tourist, which is always different from being a resident. If it doesn't appeal after several visits it's probably not for you, but there are plenty of other places to visit.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
I lived there for 6 months about 8 years ago and really did not like it. Now I live in Myanmar and absolutely love visiting. But I still have about a limit of a week before I find it all too much and want to leave again.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Originally Posted by Lobster
I lived there for 6 months about 8 years ago and really did not like it. Now I live in Myanmar and absolutely love visiting. But I still have about a limit of a week before I find it all too much and want to leave again.
Wow, not many FTers who live in Myanmar I suspect, but great for catching all those cheap F fares
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I love BKK, and did from from my first visit. Aside from the food, cheap hotels/taxis, markets, and general vibe, what I like most is that it is a time machine. Just last month I was sitting in an open air bar on soi 4, listening to semi-loud mid-70s to early 80s rock on a good sound system, surrounded by an average age group of 45-60, smoking permitted, many younger Thai girls for eye candy, excellent service, reasonably priced beer, and a view of the never ending sea of every type of humanity that passes by on the soi. I can spend hours doing that every night. If you want to fine tune the music or vibe, you can just walk a few meters.

I've been to Singapore at least 15 times, and have currently been here this trip for 6 weeks. I really don't care for it at all. (Except that it is a cheap 2 hour flight to BKK for a getaway)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:26 am

I hated Bangkok the first few times. Loud, busy, smelly, traffic, hot, expensive.

But then I got tired of everything closing at 9pm, big communication issues (no English), transportation issues (no taxi service and som lors aren't out late), and lack of entertainment options (I think Ubon finally has a bowling alley now?).

Now I appreciate the mass transit systems of Bangkok, the metered taxis, the food stalls open late, the movie theatres/bowling/shopping, the English signage, but still hate the expense
Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Jasper2009 so how does what we've said about BKK fit in with what you find interesting in a city?
I definitely found many of the responses interesting and insightful.

One thing I learnt is that Bangkok seems to consist of different "layers":

- the surface consists of a few tourist attractions which arenīt all that exciting and a city thatīs crowded/smelly/chaotic
- I tried to dig a little deeper by walking around by myself, visiting a few local shops etc., and while I probably got a somewhat more accurate impression of the real Bangkok than many tourists, I still didnīt find it particularly appealing
- based on the responses there seems to be a hidden layer of "cultural gems" such as Thai cinema, music, certain restaurants. So apparently I have to dig a little deeper next time Iīm in BKK.

In a way I find this interesting because most tourist destinations are exactly the opposite: the "surface" is very impressive and the deeper you dig and the more often you return the less impressed you end up being. BKK is the first place where people told me hat I had to return a dozen times before I started liking it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I hated Bangkok the first few times. Loud, busy, smelly, traffic, hot, expensive.

But then I got tired of everything closing at 9pm, big communication issues (no English), transportation issues (no taxi service and som lors aren't out late), and lack of entertainment options (I think Ubon finally has a bowling alley now?).

Now I appreciate the mass transit systems of Bangkok, the metered taxis, the food stalls open late, the movie theatres/bowling/shopping, the English signage, but still hate the expense
Ubon's bowling alley opened in June 2009 just as we moved away from there. And if you're claiming that things shut down in Ubon at 9PM (not sure if these two were meant to be together) I'd have to disagree.

One thing I learnt is that Bangkok seems to consist of different "layers":
Aboslutely and no different from Thai culture.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think every place has different "layers"? Many of the things the OP seems to dislike are what many consider make Bangkok a unique place. While millions of tourists begin/end their journey to Thailand in Bangkok, it is first and foremost a city of ~ 12 million, of which half might come from other parts of Thailand to work and study.

It can seem chaotic but once you have a feel for Thai culture/behavior/class system you quickly realize it is much more organized than it appears save floods, coups, protests, airport closing, the government gunning down 90 citizens.

I often have to take visitors around so have to balance their preferences with any choices/options. I have this longish, working list which gets adjusted often. I also have a car so have more suburban options. (I left off the top sites: Wat Arun, Wat Pho, Wat Phra Kaew, Grand Palace, but obviously would take people there first.)

Wat Saket/Golden Mount (Phu Khao Tong)
Wat Traimmit
Hua Lumphong Train station
Pahurat/Fabric market/Little India
Saphan Lek
Bahn Mor/Yaowarat
Royal Barges Museum
Vinmanmek Mansion/Dusit/Dusit Zoo/Ananta Samakorn Throne Hall
Wat Benchamabopitr
Jim Thompson House
Khlong San Saeb
Chao Phraya Express Boat
Khao San Road
Wat Ratchanatdaram Woravihara
Ko Kret
Ancient City
Lumphini Park
Sanam Luang/Flea Market
Suan Luang Rama IX Park
Ratchadamnoen
Markets: Khlong Toei/Sam Yan/Saphan Mai/Prahca Niwet
Chatuchak/JJ Mall
Train to Kanchanburi/Samut Sakhon/Samut Songkhram
Ghost Buildings
Wat Bang Na Nok/Bang Nam Pheung
Muay Thai
Temple Tattoo - Wat Bang Phra

Music/Ent: German Tawan Daeng, Isaan Tawan Daeng, Saxaphone, Adhere, Check Inn 99, RCA, NEP/Cowboy

For food: I take people to food courts for lunch and markets for dinner, and throw in some local favorites.

Last edited by transpac; Dec 19, 2012 at 10:07 pm
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg

I was thinking of going to Thailand and Cambodia next year to see Angkor Wat, the Grand Palace, the Floating Market, Ayuttahya, and Phang Nga Bay, but now I'm getting worried I might not like Bangkok at all. I don't want to have a cultural vacation in a dirty, overcrowded, hot city...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:36 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I was thinking of going to Thailand and Cambodia next year to see Angkor Wat, the Grand Palace, the Floating Market, Ayuttahya, and Phang Nga Bay, but now I'm getting worried I might not like Bangkok at all. I don't want to have a cultural vacation in a dirty, overcrowded, hot city...
So you wan to have a cultural vacation but not experience the local culture? MOMA may be better suited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.