Wiki Posts
Search

What do people enjoy about Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:58 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I don't see how being stuck in traffic jams, breathe foul air, and experience over crowdedness is "culture". Might as well take a trip to LA for that
Sounds good to me. Armenian for breakfast, a torta for lunch, and Korean for dinner...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Sounds good to me. Armenian for breakfast, a torta for lunch, and Korean for dinner...
But it's still LA.

And even in Thaitown the food doesn't compare to Bangkok.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by techgirl
I finally found a hotel/neighborhood that I'm comfortable with.
What hotel/neighborhood ?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:55 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dsquared37
But it's still LA.

And even in Thaitown the food doesn't compare to Bangkok.
I don't like Thai food anyway... besides, the fellow was talking about polluted, traffic-filled cities in general.

One thing I will give the LA Thaitown credit for is having a (Thai) dessert shop. Can't recall the name, but maybe you know it?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I don't like Thai food anyway... besides, the fellow was talking about polluted, traffic-filled cities in general.
Sacriledge

One thing I will give the LA Thaitown credit for is having a (Thai) dessert shop. Can't recall the name, but maybe you know it?
I don't know of it but I've always been of the opinion that Thai cuisine has interesting sweets but they are poorly known by non-Thais.

I'll look into next time I visit friends in LA.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The creme de la creme of the chess world in a show with everything but Yul Brynner?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by RICK69
What hotel/neighborhood ?
The area around the Erawan/Central World. Easy access to transit, lots of various food, shopping, and entertainment options within proximity, and a hotel I love (Grand Hyatt Erawan).
Old Jan 4, 2013, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
A city that supports a thread like this has got to be an interesting one!

A city that supports a "how to catch a taxi" thread, when the taxis are easy to get and fares are (generally) in the USD10+ zone, has got something weird and wonderful going for it!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:20 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
This thread makes me want to put together a BKKDO but I'm afraid that it would end with police and live chickens being involved.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
On paper, I should hate BKK. It's crowded, hot, traffic is insane, dirty and you see middle-aged men parading around with their "girlfriends" everywhere at night. Not to mention all the sweaty backpackers faffing around looking for the cheapest watering hole. In reality though, I quite like BKK. I think it's because BKK just has a certain magnetic energy about it which draws me in. Even if it's a big city, as a tourist I never get the "go, go, go" feeling I get in HKG or many other Asian cities.

I don't visit the temples or other tourist sites either. I think BKK is best enjoyed in short doses (2-3 days) doing things which are not unique to BKK. Everything is so cheap so it's the perfect place to spend a couple of lazy days eating good food, getting a (regular) massage, shopping at one of the nice malls and drinking at a rooftop bar at night, all without worrying about cost. When I lived in HKG I usually just paid for flights in C to BKK because there's so much fifth-freedom action on that route that you can fly in C for as low as the $300s.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: SQ *gold / Starwood

Baan Kanom Thai
It's in the strip mall with several Thai restaurants on Hollywood and Hobart. There's another one around the corner on Sunset but I don't know the name.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:39 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
OT: Jitlada (Southern Thai Cuisine) at Sunset & Harvard not only has great Thai food but it was also featured on Travel Channel's Food Paradise

Last edited by Kalboz; Jan 4, 2013 at 8:47 pm
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
I think I go all over BKK but have probably only seen 1%

its a massive city , but you can go to the other side for a 300 baht / $10 taxi ride (45 minutes - 1 hour ) to spend a few hours at an out of the way Wat with a car collection !

You can walk the streets around Chinatown for days , sure its hot but there are 7-11s where you can pop in for a cold water-Coke-Beer and "steal" the Air-Co for a few minutes,

If shopping malls are your thing (not mine) you can see one a day for a couple weeks.

More food than you can ever eat, or ever WANT to eat , from the bug cart (crickets anyone) to smelly Durian and all the street food stalls,

Yes it smelly , yes its dirty , its noisy , the sidewalks will kill me one day , I hate the begger mafia, the traffic (but I take the local bus often) , motorcycles going the wrong way (is there a right way) on the sidewalk , the overhead wiring that just looks scary, and loads of other things ,

But overall I love it and really hate to head to the Airport to go home , and when home count the days until I will return
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just had my first visit to BKK; I've been "everywhere" in the world, and to many, many Asian cities.

Honestly, BKK makes a bad first impression. The worst thing is the traffic. Your mobility is greatly impaired. You "can't" easily take a taxi; the traffic at peak times (and some non-peak times) is horrible, and most of the drivers don't have a clue where they're going (why aren't they equipped with gps?) and don't want to use their meters. Subway/Skytrain service is limited; the ferry is nice if you're headed along the river, but service is way too infrequent and shuts down by 7:30 in the evening.

Tourist attractions are somewhat limited. The Grand Palace, the top attraction, was ridiculously over-crowded and over-priced.

Tourist shopping is mediocre at best. If you've been to the fake markets in Shanghai or Beijing, you will be greatly disappointed by the offerings in Bangkok.

If you seek it out, the Thai food IS fantastic. The single best reason to stopover in BKK. If not for the food, I'd probably never return.

We stayed at the Royal Orchid Sheraton and I would recommend staying along the river for first time visitors. The view from our room was fantastic. Practically the only peaceful spot in town!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:06 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by iahphx
We stayed at the Royal Orchid Sheraton and I would recommend staying along the river for first time visitors. The view from our room was fantastic. Practically the only peaceful spot in town!
Nice post.

I'd posit that your choice to stay at the ROS likely impacted your view of mobility greatly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.