Search

What do people enjoy about Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
What do people enjoy about Bangkok?

Ok, so Iīve been to Bangkok twice, and must say I really donīt like the place.

- I have visited most of the major attractions (various tempels, Royal palace, private rider boat trip) and was pretty underwhelmed
- people trying to scam you: maybe entertaining the fist time, but gets old pretty fast
- taxi drivers range from kamikaze to useless. Most taxi driver are unable to find a hotel a few km away even when giving them a map and everything printed in Thai
- massages: I enjoyed a few reasonably priced massages, but overall the quality has been hit and miss, even at high-end hotels
- "special massages"/gogo bars/hookers: sorry, not interested

Obviously millions of tourists disagree with me, or am I missing something?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Jasper2009

- I have visited most of the major attractions (various tempels, Royal palace, private rider boat trip) and was pretty underwhelmed
- people trying to scam you: maybe entertaining the fist time, but gets old pretty fast
- taxi drivers range from kamikaze to useless. Most taxi driver are unable to find a hotel a few km away even when giving them a map and everything printed in Thai
- massages: I enjoyed a few reasonably priced massages, but overall the quality has been hit and miss, even at high-end hotels

I find the temples, especially random ones, interesting but the more touristy, pay to enter ones, less so. The scams are concentrated in touristy areas so again, less touristy areas mean less hassle.

Taxi drivers are rarely from Bangkok and might not know the hotels, they will typically know the streets. Maps are useless and just serve to confuse people throughout Asia.

I've always found massage hit and miss and, after getting a good one, tend to frequent that particular establishment and, more to the point, that particular woman.

The happy massages, gogo bars etc was never my cup of tea and, IMHO, are to be avoided like the plague unless a fool and his money are desired to be separated.

Bangkok is a city I enjoy immensely off the tourist trail. Frankly I don't see how the touristy things continue to pull back tourists so I tacitly understand and agree with your points (excepting the temples which I think are physically interesting buildings).

Edit: can't believe I forgot to include this: FOOD.

Last edited by dsquared37; Dec 14, 2012 at 6:53 am
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)

Just as a comparison, what international destination do you like?

Personally, I love the food (high and low end), shopping (malls and outdoor), cheap (real) massages, and the organized chaos. I also love visiting Vietnam.

To me, it's the sense of adventure and embracing what the city is - not the opposite. BKK isn't for the timid - that's why SIN is there.

As for scams, it happens everywhere - Asia, Europe, N+S America, and the city where you live.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Just as a comparison, what international destination do you like?
Pretty much most places Iīve visited incl. most of Europe, Canada, US, Carribbean, Israel, South Africa, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Cook Islands...

Personally, I love the food (high and low end), shopping (malls and outdoor), cheap (real) massages, and the organized chaos. I also love visiting Vietnam.

To me, it's the sense of adventure and embracing what the city is - not the opposite. BKK isn't for the timid - that's why SIN is there.

As for scams, it happens everywhere - Asia, Europe, N+S America, and the city where you live.
Youīre right, scams and crime exist everywhere. Just had the impression that Bangkok is the world capital of scammers and people trying to sell you cheap crap.

Iīm sure Thailand has some nice places, but Bangkok left me very unimpressed.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:07 pm

Pretty much most places Iīve visited incl. most of Europe, Canada, US, Carribbean, Israel, South Africa, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Cook Islands...
Well, in Wesern Europe, there are teams of roving gypsies. In PRG, it seemed like everyone and his mother was trying to rip me off - was even shortchanged at a real supermarket. In BCN, got the taxis that did several "circles" before picking us up in front of our hotel on Ramblas. Also came across an elderly couple that fell for the "there's ketchup" on your shirt routine and lost their wallet. In IST and CAI, tons of people walking around just trying to hit you up for a scam. etc, etc, etc.

I find in BKK, the scams are pretty easy to spot and don't (normally) physically harass you - unlike many other places you've mentioned. Personally, I really don't mind going to BKK as it was relatively scam-free outside of the tourist traps.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Go another 8 times and report back here

It's a city that grows on you, not love at first sight.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum (Sigh), all others as well......
Simple!

THE FOOD!!!!!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 5:21 pm
Suspended

In IST and CAI, tons of people walking around just trying to hit you up for a scam. etc, etc, etc.
In IST it is no longer a scam, you're life is at stake if you fall for the "My new friend, let me buy you a drink" invitation.

I find in BKK, the scams are pretty easy to spot and don't (normally) physically harass you - unlike many other places you've mentioned. Personally, I really don't mind going to BKK as it was relatively scam-free outside of the tourist traps.
Example of a typical BKK scam?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Temple closed, Buddhist holiday.
20 baht tuk-tuk tour.
1 day only government gem sale.
500 baht taxi fare to airport.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Peninsula Hotel
Peninsula Hotel
Food
Orient Express train to Singapore
Old Dec 14, 2012, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by glob99
Temple closed, Buddhist holiday.
20 baht tuk-tuk tour.
1 day only government gem sale.
500 baht taxi fare to airport.
Maybe I am clueless, but Buddhists don't have holidays? And 500 baht taxi to the airport ($16) is much less what I pay in Boston ($50).
Old Dec 14, 2012, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I am clueless, but Buddhists don't have holidays? And 500 baht taxi to the airport ($16) is much less what I pay in Boston ($50).
There are 4 Buddhist holidays the government holds significantly high enough to ban alcohol sales. There are myriad other important holidays. Temples are not closed though.

Who cares if 500 Baht is less than what you pay in ____. If a local dinner costs $40 and they gave you a bill for $80 would you say, 'oh, but it's cheaper than eating in NY?'
Old Dec 14, 2012, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsquared37
If a local dinner costs $40 and they gave you a bill for $80 would you say, 'oh, but it's cheaper than eating in NY?'
I think that happened to me in IST.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:35 pm

The classic "the temple is closed but I'll show you a place that's open" leading up to "this gem shop is owned by a friend that will get you a super deal". Then there are the taxis who don't turn on meters to "this skewer of meat/roadkill is beef."
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The classic "the temple is closed but I'll show you a place that's open" leading up to "this gem shop is owned by a friend that will get you a super deal". Then there are the taxis who don't turn on meters to "this skewer of meat/roadkill is beef."
In Myanmar in 2005 (?) i was starving and knew there would be a wait for the food I ordered so I also grabbed a skewer of chicken.

That chicken at one point had four legs and wagging tail.

Oh well, it did sate me until the remainder of my order arrived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.