Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Thanks BinSabai. Your advice is greatly appreciated. We'll go for 16EF.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:42 pm

Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask a few very basic (And probably stupid) questions. It's the first time i've flown internationally in some time and the first time i've flown from Heathrow. I'm flying from Heathrow to Phnom Penh and have a few questions. I booked it through third party which I know isn't great but i've got my e ticket on the thai airways website.

1) What is the best and most efficient way to check in at Heathrow? I've heard about self service check in kiosks and then also the online check in. What's the best way to get through check in quickly?

2) What documents do I need to have in hand? (Looked at the Thai Airways FAQ but want clarification) Do i need the booking document my agent sent me and will I need the credit card that I booked the flight on?

If anyone could give me a detailed step by step walkthrough that would be great and certainly put me at rest.

Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:40 pm

Just wanted to leave a few pieces of info here in case it can help someone else. Hopefully this helps someone as so many have helped me on here. This is just my experience so it could vary from person to person.

Book an award trip First class from SYD - NRT last year when avail opened. Got the TG 747 from SYD - BKK then, NO availability on TG A380 from BKK - NRT. Booked a business class from BKK - NRT.

Signed up for experflyer to notify me of when it avail opened up. Was looking for seats in September.

About the start of July, TG opened up 1 FC seat on BKK - NRT. Had 1 Biz opened on same flight. Since we are a party of two took the split in hopes things would open up.

Used expertflyer to monitor seats and avail via united award travel.

Noticed that TG opened up First class pretty much on each day in July at the start of June, maybe a few days closed here or there, but they tend to open up each flight a few days before if they wern't opened before.

About the past two weeks ago, TG pulled all F and Biz avail from United. Only had a few coach seats avail on certain days. Weird, but ok.

Was up late last night and my phone kept getting notificiations from experflyer.

They were opening up days for September. YEAH!!!

Went to go check United, nothing there, boo! Checked Aeroplan, nothing there. Checked ANA, it was there! Went to sleep and woke up to more notificiations.

Logged in to United and saw that the space was now showing avail, same on aeroplan. I called and United was able to move me up so we both now have a FC seat.

Couple notes:

Seems that ANA can see the availability first, before it loads into United or Aeroplan, give it a few hours and it will show.

When I called to have United move me up, it changed my seat assignments. Weird, I had to call and have them put me back where I was.

Seems that TG opens up F award space about the 1st of the month for next month September (keyword appears). They opened up a few days around 2am pacific and then more for the next 6 hours, pretty much all are open now.

They didn't open up Biz, (but that could have changed by now).

Seems that TG opened up more than 2 seats for F this AM. This is a good thing.

Of course these are only my observations so, others could have a different experience.

Thanks for all the help! I now have both of us on the A380, BKK - NRT!

I"M SO EXCITED!!!!

Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer88
I just booked 2 for December (BKK-NRT), so definitely avail more than 14 days out.

Does anybody know if they still pass out amenity kits on this flight? Leaves at like 8 in the morning and is only 6+hrs, not sure if that qualifies.

Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: TG Gold
Multi stop trip award/upgrade

I have a question regarding required miles for award tickets or miles upgrades for multi stop trips.

Will they charge miles for a round trip or 2x one way?

And how will it be if I want to use the GUP?

Flight example:
Bkk-Fra, Muc-Bkk

Thanks!

Last edited by 1786771; Aug 3, 2016 at 8:11 pm
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by 1786771
I have quite question regarding required miles for award tickets or miles upgrades for multi stop trips.

Will they charge miles for a round trip or 2x one way?

And how will it be if I want to use the GUP?

Flight example:
Bkk-Fra, Muc-Bkk

Thanks!
can definitely use GUP for this (I used recently a PUP for BKK-KIX, NRT-BKK). I am pretty sure that they will also handle this as a round trip if you use full miles
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by benny1000
Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask a few very basic (And probably stupid) questions. It's the first time i've flown internationally in some time and the first time i've flown from Heathrow. I'm flying from Heathrow to Phnom Penh and have a few questions. I booked it through third party which I know isn't great but i've got my e ticket on the thai airways website.

1) What is the best and most efficient way to check in at Heathrow? I've heard about self service check in kiosks and then also the online check in. What's the best way to get through check in quickly?

2) What documents do I need to have in hand? (Looked at the Thai Airways FAQ but want clarification) Do i need the booking document my agent sent me and will I need the credit card that I booked the flight on?

If anyone could give me a detailed step by step walkthrough that would be great and certainly put me at rest.

Thanks everyone.
There are no stupid questions.

1) self serve kiosk is fine. I usually don't bother with checking in online with TG (some may argue about over booking etc.) Also the self serve counters at T2 are open all day, so no need to wait for the premium counter to open.

2) on the safe side yes print out. Or you have your booking ref/ sticker save on an electronic device is better. You never know.
Always have the credit card you paid with, it's an Asia thing that airlines like to check.

You can ask for exit seats at check in if you are in economy too. It's free and doesn't hurt to ask. Finally have a pen handy for filling out landing cards.

Happy flying!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
How do I book an award flight online. I am trying to book a flight from Del (delhi) to Bangkok but when I try to book online, the From destination is only pre populated with 10-12 cities. How can I change this to include the entire network?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
How do I book an award flight online. I am trying to book a flight from Del (delhi) to Bangkok but when I try to book online, the From destination is only pre populated with 10-12 cities. How can I change this to include the entire network?
better to contact a TG office
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Can't seem to find a master thread for cash upgrades on paid economy tickets so here goes:

(1) Is it possible to upgrade-for-cash (UFC) when you do online checkin?

(2) If not, can it be done at airport checkin?

(3) Are there any data points on UFC pricing? This would be for 3-hour inter-asia flight, so the data I found for flights to Europe and NA doesn't seem very relevant.

Thanks
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Can't seem to find a master thread for cash upgrades on paid economy tickets so here goes:

(1) Is it possible to upgrade-for-cash (UFC) when you do online checkin?

(2) If not, can it be done at airport checkin?

(3) Are there any data points on UFC pricing? This would be for 3-hour inter-asia flight, so the data I found for flights to Europe and NA doesn't seem very relevant.

Thanks
TG calls this stand by upgrade and it is only possible at check in when seats are available
conditions and costs here:
http://www.thaiairways.com/en/plan_m...ssistance.page
(click on stand by upgrade)
costs depend on class of your ticket
3 hours inter asia, well let me guess:
BKK to DPS/JKT/KHH/KTM/MNL/TPE/XMN
one way upgrade for B,M,H,Q: 7745 THB
for V,W: 9465 THB
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
One more question: When do the "preferred" seats open for assignment to kettles? I see about 15 rows of the plane blocked off for elites, but about 90% empty seats. Would be nice to move up to the row 30s from the 50s.

Originally Posted by BinSabai
TG calls this stand by upgrade and it is only possible at check in when seats are available
3 hours inter asia, well let me guess:
BKK to DPS/JKT/KHH/KTM/MNL/TPE/XMN
one way upgrade for B,M,H,Q: 7745 THB
for V,W: 9465 THB
Thanks for responding.

Wow!! $222 for a 3-hour flight??!! Even USA airlines are not this greedy for TOD upgrades. At that price I think I will suffer in the cattle car, as I'm pretty certain TG won't be serving Dom (as EK does) & lobster (as SQ does).
Old Sep 11, 2016, 1:34 am

Wow!! $222 for a 3-hour flight??!! Even USA airlines are not this greedy for TOD upgrades. At that price I think I will suffer in the cattle car, as I'm pretty certain TG won't be serving Dom (as EK does) & lobster (as SQ does).
You think $220 is expensive for UFC on a three hour flight? I find it to be a bargain.

Are you referring to J or F? TG does offer lobster thermidor in F if pre reserved (so not for standby upgrade passengers). They do serve Dom in F.

Not aware of any airline that serves a tete de cuvee Champagne in J. Long ago AA did have Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque in J on two class IFS flights, but not anymore.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Sep 11, 2016 at 2:36 am
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
One more question: When do the "preferred" seats open for assignment to kettles? I see about 15 rows of the plane blocked off for elites, but about 90% empty seats. Would be nice to move up to the row 30s from the 50s.
I think it will depend on fare class. If you have a W/V class ticket you won't have access to the front if my experience is any indication, even doing OLCI.

Best bet might be to ask during checkin.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:15 pm

1st world issue

Do they have big enough PJ's in First for me who normally use XXL in European sizes?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Mjoellnir
1st world issue

Do they have big enough PJ's in First for me who normally use XXL in European sizes?
the problem is more that they have too many big sizes loaded and too few L and M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.