Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Also, be certain that the flight is a Thai Airways flight, and not a Thai Smiles flight. Thai Smiles is not a Star Alliance airline and will not earn anything on United's MileagePlus program. If you have Star Alliance status, it is obviously an advantage to fly Thai Airways for the benefits.
What if a flight has a TG flight number, but is "operated by Thai Smile"? As I recall this is sometimes the case.

I suppose flights with Thai Smile ticket numbers do still accrue ROP miles, but not on *alliance partner FFPs?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
What if a flight has a TG flight number, but is "operated by Thai Smile"? As I recall this is sometimes the case.

I suppose flights with Thai Smile ticket numbers do still accrue ROP miles, but not on *alliance partner FFPs?
I suspect a TG codeshare on WE (Thai Smile) will earn nothing on UA or any other *A program.

There are many THAI flights BKK-HKT and return. They are in the TG2xx series of flight number.

You can check the booking class prior to purchase under fare conditions. G/V/W classes earn zero, K/S class 50%, Q/T class 75% etc. high fare class (Q or better) also provides access to seats in the forward cabin, which are blocked to those on cheaper fares.

Given BKK-HKT is only 417 miles, you might wish to rethink the extra costs of a mileage earning ticket against the 'value' of the miles earned - but no doubt you can figure that out!

Cheers TK
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I suspect a TG codeshare on WE (Thai Smile) will earn nothing on UA or any other *A program.

There are many THAI flights BKK-HKT and return. They are in the TG2xx series of flight number.

You can check the booking class prior to purchase under fare conditions. G/V/W classes earn zero, K/S class 50%, Q/T class 75% etc. high fare class (Q or better) also provides access to seats in the forward cabin, which are blocked to those on cheaper fares.

Given BKK-HKT is only 417 miles, you might wish to rethink the extra costs of a mileage earning ticket against the 'value' of the miles earned - but no doubt you can figure that out!

Cheers TK
Thanks all. Yes, the flights I was looking at were TG2xx flights - I noticed the flights designated as "operated by Thai Smiles" and was purposely steering away from them.

Thanks especially for the booking class codes with earnings & link to details on UA website - that's what I was looking for. Will check the details on those flights tonight (at work right now).

Indeed, it's certainly not a lot of miles. But I figure 834 miles is 834 miles, or some percentage of that (assuming the fare code works out) and that's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I'm also more inclined to take a TG flight over one of the LCCs due to it's (perceived by me) slightly greater reliability (slightly better chance it'll go more or less as expected) and safety record. I know, none of these things are guaranteed better with TG, but I figure the odds are better (if only a little). If the price differential was significant, I'd be less inclined, but the difference looks like pocket change. Given that, TG probably gets the nod - if I can squeeze a few miles out of it, then that clinches it.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Indeed, it's certainly not a lot of miles. But I figure 834 miles is 834 miles, or some percentage of that (assuming the fare code works out) and that's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I'm also more inclined to take a TG flight over one of the LCCs due to it's (perceived by me) slightly greater reliability (slightly better chance it'll go more or less as expected) and safety record. I know, none of these things are guaranteed better with TG, but I figure the odds are better (if only a little). If the price differential was significant, I'd be less inclined, but the difference looks like pocket change. Given that, TG probably gets the nod - if I can squeeze a few miles out of it, then that clinches it.

Thanks again.
pretty much second that. Have done maybe a hundred+ domestic flights and all on TG or PG, never on a LCC
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:49 pm

Attaining ROP gold with non TG flights

Dear all, say if flying with mostly *A non TG flight and accumulate all qualifying miles into ROP, possible to attain ROP Gold?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nisnekmil
Dear all, say if flying with mostly *A non TG flight and accumulate all qualifying miles into ROP, possible to attain ROP Gold?
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Yes. You'd need to be certain of the mileage 'earn' for the Star Alliance carrier, as it could be low or zero. Note that qualification by the sector method must only be on THAI.

See here: http://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/rop...-03-gold.page?
Attaining Gold Status:

This top tier status is attained with Qualifying Miles, the miles earned with THAI and Star Alliance airlines, during 2 rolling month periods, 50,000 Qualifying miles during a 12 month period, or 80,000 Qualifying miles during a 24 month period. Additionally, completing 40 international sectors on THAI in any 12 rolling month period also attains Gold status.* This is a system automated process whereby on the most recent activity all eligible flights are evaluated for the past 12 and 24 month periods. With each new flight activity, status is again evaluated during the past 12 and 24 months, ensuring that all eligible flights are counted for attaining Gold status.

*Excluding travel in G / V / W classes for both attaining and retaining Gold status.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:29 am

Welcome to Flyertalk!

Yes. You'd need to be certain of the mileage 'earn' for the Star Alliance carrier, as it could be low or zero. Note that qualification by the sector method must only be on THAI.

See here: http://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/rop...-03-gold.page?

Thank you for the info sir. In fact will be flying ANA business class mostly and if I'm not wrong even the cheapest business class fare will allows 125% mileage towards ROP, as I'm already holding ROP membership and their elite status perks looks overall better than ANA mileage club, and lasts longer too~~

While ANA mileage club requires their member to earn at least 25k miles on ANA operating flights from the 50k mileage to achieve platinum status, ROP doesn't seems to mention that at all, and since I'm going to travel 90% on ANA premium class..... wondering if any ROP member here did that before earning most of their miles from other *A member and attained ROP gold....
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
While ANA mileage club requires their member to earn at least 25k miles on ANA operating flights from the 50k mileage to achieve platinum status, ROP doesn't seems to mention that at all, and since I'm going to travel 90% on ANA premium class..... wondering if any ROP member here did that before earning most of their miles from other *A member and attained ROP gold....
For ROP Gold that's fine; but for Platinum, only flights on TG in J or F count.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the info sir. In fact will be flying ANA business class mostly and if I'm not wrong even the cheapest business class fare will allows 125% mileage towards ROP, as I'm already holding ROP membership and their elite status perks looks overall better than ANA mileage club, and lasts longer too~~
This wrong - not all business fares earn 125% on ROP. Deeply discounted business in P class earns only 70% as I found out last year GMP-HND.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: SQ Gold, EY Platinum, HHonours Gold, Taj InnerCircle Gold, Mariott/SPG Gold
Hi All, I'm trying to decide which airline (between SQ and TG) i should transfer miles to for an award booking within SE Asia - I couldn't determine from the forums which would have lower YQ and ITA Matrix didn't help either (does not show YQ for TG at all). Any inputs ?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Either make dummy bookings with each and try and assess taxes, or call TG and SQ and ask.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: SQ Gold, EY Platinum, HHonours Gold, Taj InnerCircle Gold, Mariott/SPG Gold
Thanks @Thai-Kiwi, tried dummy bookings, TG is definitely lower !
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Booking different fare codes online

I was just going to book a trip KTM-BKK-KTM and the only fares offered on the Thai website are economy W or business J. I would like to choose a different fare code as W earns no points on Air Canada. Is their any way to choose M, Y etc? When I last used the site (when there was a US site) I had more choices.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by folkart
I was just going to book a trip KTM-BKK-KTM and the only fares offered on the Thai website are economy W or business J. I would like to choose a different fare code as W earns no points on Air Canada. Is their any way to choose M, Y etc? When I last used the site (when there was a US site) I had more choices.
If you make the booking as a multi-city, but just use KTM-BKK, and BKK-KTM as the only sectors, then on the selection page for the return sector you have the option to choose 'all fares'. See the picture:
Name:  TG KTM-BKK-KTM.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  178.2 KB

This provides a full Y option that is a bit more expensive that W, but cheaper than J. No much choice compared to the range of fare types TG used to provide, and I have no idea if this is because THAI limits the fare types from KTM, or they simply haven't loaded them. I looked at dates in Jun.

W fare NPR 42,836
Y fare NPR 55,074
J fare NPR 72,510
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Thanks

That seems to work. Weird marketing by Thai to offer only the cheapest restricted fare option on the main booking page and to be able to get other options only through multicity. Seems like they would reduce their revenue that way.
Update... I booked it through multicity in Y. Thanks Thai-Kiwi. The fare conditions on the website list Y full fare as restricted and same conditions as lowest fares (all farecodes (W,Y,J,C) show same penalties and conditions ). Called the contact center and tried to have this clarified for over 35 minutes, I had to guide the agent through process and website explain to select all fares etc and it was very frustrating. I would ask fare conditions for a specific fare code YLYRNPE and he would answer with unrelated answers about W. I finally gave up. Much easier when LAX office was available to call.

If you make the booking as a multi-city, but just use KTM-BKK, and BKK-KTM as the only sectors, then on the selection page for the return sector you have the option to choose 'all fares'. See the picture:
Attachment 4176

This provides a full Y option that is a bit more expensive that W, but cheaper than J. No much choice compared to the range of fare types TG used to provide, and I have no idea if this is because THAI limits the fare types from KTM, or they simply haven't loaded them. I looked at dates in Jun.

W fare NPR 42,836
Y fare NPR 55,074
J fare NPR 72,510

Last edited by folkart; Apr 11, 2016 at 6:22 pm Reason: update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.