ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSION, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content. Please refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts suggesting or discussing use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of older posts

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by strickerj
How do you figure that? This thread is full of all types of devices and browsers with the same problem, and only on Flyertalk.
Really? I haven't seen a browser hijack reported when someone is replying to a post, myself. Please feel free to point those out, because I've missed that. If there's another action that triggers these, Tech should be informed.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
On Chrome 56.0.2924.87, recently upgraded from Android 6 to Android 7.1.1. The problem has persisted. Aside from getting redirected when I open FT threads, I've recently (starting today) had ads try to force an APK download instead of redirecting me to a site -- or at least, I'd prefer to assume it's an ad that's doing this.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by JDiver
Really? I haven't seen a browser hijack reported when someone is replying to a post, myself. Please feel free to point those out, because I've missed that. If there's another action that triggers these, Tech should be informed.
Lots of replies here are about mobile browser hijacks - e.g., replies 379, 368, 359/360, 351, 341/342, 339 ... And those are just the ones with links / screenshots, not the ones in between concurring. Since these come up randomly, I don't really follow that having one come up when replying to a thread constitutes a completely different problem, unless the poster in this case was on the desktop site?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:12 pm

US, Samsung S7, Chrome 56.0.2924.87

Complete URL is:
http://comumx.site/newip7d/index.php...b4f7586d#valid
Attached Images  
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
When posting such URLs, please surround them in either CODE or QUOTE tags so that people do not click on them by accident.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Is anything being done about this? FT is barely usable on mobile. And as someone who isn't always by my laptop, it can be very frustrating.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK
Is anything being done about this? FT is barely usable on mobile. And as someone who isn't always by my laptop, it can be very frustrating.
See this > http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28005166-post361.html
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:16 am

When clicking on a thread, using tabbed browsing, the clicked thread opens in a new tab (as expected).

However, about 90% of the time (and 100% of the time when clicking on a new thread that I have never read before), a new tab also opens up that reads as follows:

This page can’t be displayed

•Make sure the web address //ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm# is correct.
•Look for the page with your search engine.
•Refresh the page in a few minutes.
This "page can't be displayed" tab often opens multiple times, sometimes clogging my explorer page.

Flyertalk is the ONLY place where this sort of disruptive behavior occurs, and my suspicion is that it is ad-related.

My computer is running Windows 7 Enterprise, using Internet Explorer 11.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by techie
I would PAY for Flyertalk if they would minimize or remove these scam ads.

Edit: This is happening often on mobile but not on PC/desktop. I don't know why.

Last edited by zitsky; Mar 27, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by javabytes
Still a problem. As is the Bubble Witch 3 Saga ad.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am that you've spent your time making sure ads are more pervasive: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...ar-2017-a.html

Reporting for at least the fifth time, and a month and a half since originally reported...

Safari / iOS 10.2.1 / USA
Attached Images    

Last edited by javabytes; Mar 27, 2017 at 10:55 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Reporting for at least the fifth time, and a month and a half since originally reported...
Many of us are seeing this multiple times, maybe even the same ad. I haven't kept track of all of mine, I just report them. Give the poster a break already!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Once you make this easier to do from a mobile phone I will post a photo.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by JDiver
1) It's actually fairly easy to include an image - see Files and images: how do I attach or embed in a post? How to add or embed a file or image / photo in a post

2) This is anomalous behavior, and I'm suspecting something other than FlyerTalk. You've not posted any details Tech can use (device, OS, browser and versions), but you might try clearing cache and cookies as a start.
link isn't working and this ONLY happens to me on Flyertalk. For the record running Android 7.1.1 on a Pixel
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA
Once you make this easier to do from a mobile phone I will post a photo.
Edit: I see you found the link... Not sure why it isn't working.

Edit2: if you read carefully you can't paste on the mobile site, but if you put it someplace like imgur it should work??

Last edited by zitsky; Mar 27, 2017 at 6:38 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by zitsky
Many of us are seeing this multiple times, maybe even the same ad. I haven't kept track of all of mine, I just report them. Give the poster a break already!

My point is I personally have been reporting the same ads over and over (I'm quoting my own posts) and they aren't going away, even a month and a half later. Attempting to highlight the seriousness with which IB takes these reports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.