FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1675575-archive-2017-disruptive-ads-advertisement-ft-reports.html)

Saltire74 Mar 14, 2016 12:25 am

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

1 Attachment(s)
Issue with side banner ads obscuring posts on iPad Air 2.

Currently using updated Safari browser.

Location. Indonesia but same in UK & China

IBobi Mar 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Saltire74 (Post 26329090)
Issue with side banner ads obscuring posts on iPad Air 2.

Currently using updated Safari browser.

Location. Indonesia but same in UK & China

This will happen when there is a very large image posted in the thread that is displaying on that page of posts.

EsherFlyer Mar 16, 2016 8:18 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 26340295)
The blocking can also be due to the noxious ads that pops up on FT regularly. Several users reported that their work now blocked FT due specifically to that. More info are in the technical support and feedback forum.

Suggestion over here that ISPs may be starting to block FT due to the malicious / edgy ad content.

Tanic Mar 24, 2016 2:34 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Choice Hotels page hogging ad has appeared about ten times today. MacBook Safari 9.0.3 USA.

nbevan Apr 1, 2016 5:38 am

Advertisements between posts

I have noticed that Flyertalk now places advertisements between posts, rather than beside posts, which I find very intrusive (presumably this is the intention?). (Previously lack of another immediate post meant that you had got to the last post on the page.)

serpens Apr 1, 2016 9:16 am

While I agree that the ads between posts is disconcerting, I expect to become accustomed to it, and it does solve the problem of the ads obscuring useful text and inappropriately widening the window.

One workaround, if the interspersed ads really annoy you, is to click the Go Advanced button for posting new content. The new presentation does not have the interspersed ads. It does have the posts in newest-first order, which makes me think that the remedy is worse than the malady.

djmp Apr 10, 2016 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 26382038)
Choice Hotels page hogging ad has appeared about ten times today. MacBook Safari 9.0.3 USA.

Me too. Really annoying - and it takes its sweet time loading, blocking the page for 10+ seconds before it's possible to dismiss it.

NJNY Apr 11, 2016 10:30 am

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 26464810)
Me too. Really annoying - and it takes its sweet time loading, blocking the page for 10+ seconds before it's possible to dismiss it.

+1

Safari user also. I have disabled pop-up ads and never see them anywhere. This Choice ad continues though. It blocks the page for a long time while it loads (so slowly) and then it can't be closed for a couple more seconds. It's too frustrating so I plan to stay away from FT except when I absolutely need info.

IBobi Apr 11, 2016 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 26464810)

Originally Posted by NJNY (Post 26469371)
+1

Safari user also. I have disabled pop-up ads and never see them anywhere. This Choice ad continues though. It blocks the page for a long time while it loads (so slowly) and then it can't be closed for a couple more seconds. It's too frustrating so I plan to stay away from FT except when I absolutely need info.

You should not see this ad at all unless you fail to log into FT.

djmp Apr 11, 2016 8:41 pm

You can't get logged in before this ad appears.

IBobi Apr 11, 2016 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 26471979)
You can't get logged in before this ad appears.

Make sure to click "remember me" and you'll stay logged in. Unless your browser is set to clear cookies. No way around that.

Sopwith Apr 12, 2016 4:17 am

Can we please ditch or relocate the Choice Hotels pop up? It is REALLY annoying and has the opposite of the intended effect. It has made FT almost unusable on my iPad.

Thx.

_kurt Apr 12, 2016 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 26473023)
Can we please ditch or relocate the Choice Hotels pop up? It is REALLY annoying and has the opposite of the intended effect. It has made FT almost unusable on my iPad.

This ad is a big problem for me too. When I browse FT from my work computer I am always logged out, so I see it over and over, delaying me 15 seconds each time. It makes the site unusable.

IBobi Apr 12, 2016 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 26473023)

Thx.

Originally Posted by _kurt (Post 26474652)
This ad is a big problem for me too. When I browse FT from my work computer I am always logged out, so I see it over and over, delaying me 15 seconds each time. It makes the site unusable.

Sopwith Apr 12, 2016 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 26476048)

:mad: